Excercise tracked, calories added

Options
Question for hopefully someone. When you log your exercise, it automatically adds calories to your daily allowance. Is there a way to shut that off? I've been instructed by my Dr. to consume 1200 calories a day. I know that with exercise you "earn" calories, but I don't want to use them everyday to help with my weight loss more. It's no big deal but it just gives me a warning when I complete my journal each day.

Replies

• pizzy
    pizzy Posts: 47
    Options
    one thing you can do is log those calories into your food with the quick calorie adder, and put all the calories that you burned, thats one way to help
  • anamercedez
    Options
    What you should do Is add your exercise at the very end so you wont eat those extra calories,thats how I do it !!!!:drinker:
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat them, just don't. Instead of using your net calories available as a guide, just use the total in your food category. As long as you are eating 1200 calories of food, it shouldn't give you a warning. I don't use my exercise calories all up, and some days none at all, but if I am hungry, it is my body saying I need a little more, so I add a smart snack. :happy:
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    Please be careful with eating only 1200 calories and exercising, confirm with your doctor or nutritionist...
  • digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You SHOULD be eating those calories, your body needs them to provide you energy. It's a fine line, if you don't eat enough, your body may go into starvation mode which will store extra fat.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    I don't know what doctor would tell you to eat only 1200 calories a day, but when you combine that with exercise, you definitely need more. Half of what doctors tell you is garbage anyway, since they don't know an awful lot about nutrition and tend to not take very good care of their own health.
  • dmaster555
    Options
    Eating the bare minimum calorie intake daily AND exercising without increasing your calorie intake at least by the amount of calories you burned is not healthy or safe. The point of losing weight is to be healthier.
  • lifeaccordingtolily
    Options
    I have the same problem...... my doctor told me not to eat those calories and i feel fine. i just use the total calories consumed or i will put them in at the end of the day. Either way works for me with no confusion.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If you daily allowance is 1200 calories and you exercise - eating those calories will result in 1200 NET calories. Conversely, if you do 1000 calories of burning with exercise and only eat 1200 - you are only netting 200 calories. I don't eat all my exercise calories but I do eat some - maybe 100 or so. I find in confusing the an actual Dr. would tell you that - unless you are doing minimal exercise. Good luck!
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    I don't use all of my exercise I calories everyday, but I typically use some of them. I agree that the body needs those extra calories when you exercise. My trainer warns me about the body going into starvation mode & also that it will burn muscle instead of fat. I would definitely check with your doctor and maybe even bring your food/exercise diary along so he/she has a full understanding of what your calorie intake and what kinds of food those calories come from and the amount of exercise and calorie burning you are doing.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't use all of my exercise I calories everyday, but I typically use some of them. I agree that the body needs those extra calories when you exercise. My trainer warns me about the body going into starvation mode & also that it will burn muscle instead of fat. I would definitely check with your doctor and maybe even bring your food/exercise diary along so he/she has a full understanding of what your calorie intake and what kinds of food those calories come from and the amount of exercise and calorie burning you are doing.

That is a good point. Some of the doctors don't realize how MFP is set up, with a deficit in calories already worked in. Maybe he is meaning for you to eat 1200 NET a day, after all your exercise is taken into account.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Don't log in your workouts.
  • kpfister
    Options
    What you all are saying is how I've been feeling. Let me give some background. I did 2 rounds of P90X and lost 30lbs, have hit a major plateau (for 4 months now) , have gotten checked out to ensure nothing is wrong. The Dr asked how many calories I was eating a day, at the time it was 1450-1600. She told me that was way too much for a woman to lose weight with. She knows what programs I am doing. I'm concerned that I will be eating too little with the program I am doing now, but when I track my caloric goal on BeachBody.com it says I should eat 1450. So I didn't see 250 being such a big deal at first. But with what people are saying here, I'm begining to wonder. Argh I just want to lose my last 30 and be FIT!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    That is way too low for p90x, if that is what you're still doing.