C25K? Want to start running.

Okay so I done W1D1 of C25K but I just wanted to try it and see for myself and I managed quite well with day 1. I was wondering if the app was any good to begin running as I've heard mixed things about it.

Replies

• absmith_
    absmith_ Posts: 63 Member
    I downloaded the app and used it when I started in July! I graduated the program and now run a 5K frequently! I love it! I can have my music playing and the lady speaks up and tells me when to start running again, then my music starts again. Really nice.
  • leapyearcutie
    leapyearcutie Posts: 4 Member
    I like C25K - the only thing that is a little freaky is going from running for 8 minutes to running for 20 minutes (week 5) but for me it was all mental - once my mind was on board, my body had no problem!
  • ineedalifetbh
    ineedalifetbh Posts: 132 Member
    That's brilliant! I just wasn't too sure because of the mixed reviews but I just guess it's all down to how you view it and how your body reacts.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Definitely use the app if you're starting out. The week 4 - week 5 gap is a big one but y that time you've had all the positive reinforcement to make you feel like you can do it. So much better than trying alone.
  • ineedalifetbh
    Definitely use the app if you're starting out. The week 4 - week 5 gap is a big one but y that time you've had all the positive reinforcement to make you feel like you can do it. So much better than trying alone.

Aw, that's good then.. I'll guess I'll be sticking to it and hopefully come by next year I'll be running marathons! :tongue:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    It's a great way to start running and helps you build up both your physical ability and your cardio over time. Less risk of injury!
  • John1610
    John1610 Posts: 31 Member
    I can't speak highly enough of c25k. It is a great introduction to running, and has got me addicted to running. I'm now training for a half marathon.

The jump from 8 minutes to 20 is daunting, but definitely achievable.

The best advice is to run slow! You'll pick up pace as the weeks go on.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    It is a great programme.

The only thing you might want to think about is whether you've already got a bit of a walking base sorted. I'd make sure you can comfortably walk a mile or two without the running intervals before you start week 1.

But assuming that base is in place, it's a good, structured introduction.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    I love C25K. I'm actually about to go and do my first 20 minute run now... *gulp*. I don't have a smart phone, so can't give any advice on the app, but I use Carli Fierce's podcasts and they're great.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    I started with c25k and loved the program. Start SLOW and get a nice pair of shoes (preferably from a running store that can fit you properly). If you're worried about "lasting" for 20 minutes, try cross-training to strengthen your cardio. I was doing 30DS and using the Elliptical while also starting c25k and had no problem keeping up with the program. I am currently training for my third Half Marathon and am planning on doing a full Marathon next year ~ can't say enough good things about the c25k!!
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 556 Member
    I love it! I'm on day 3 of week 3. I'm nervous of week 4 coming up but I'm pretty sure I can do it if I get over the mental block.

This is my second attempt at completing it - the first time I got halfway through week 4 and injured my back (freak accident, my foot slid in to a pot hole and it jarred me so badly I had spasms for weeks - hit just right, ugh). The first time I did have to repeat week 1 and week 2 before moving up, only once or twice though and then I was ready!

I did some cardio ramp ups before starting it again, working on increasing my swimming distance and rowing so that my breathing wouldn't be what was holding me back. It has made a HUGE difference. I barely struggle now and probably once I get new shoes will be just fine.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I fought my way into running entirely by trail and error. I've had a lot of people come to me for starting advice. I tell them all C25K. It doesn't just build your cardio but it gets your whole body trained up for running.

Don't be afraid to do a week over if you don't feel you are ready to move up. Others have mentioned proper running shoes, this point cannot be stressed enough, but you can probably get away with waiting a few weeks of the program until you know that running is for you. As soon as you've made up your mind to take up running, get fiited at a running store for shoes, you will be hapy you did. A good running store will watch you run, evaluate how you run and make serveral recommendations. That's what you'll want.
  • ineedalifetbh
    Wow! Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll be definitely sticking to it. The only problem I'll have to combat will be the winter weather in the next few months. I guess it will be a good addition to the cardio that I'm currently doing currently, I'm still trying to pull together a workout routine which I'm happy with it's still currently all over the place so I guess the running is a good start!
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Wow! Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll be definitely sticking to it. The only problem I'll have to combat will be the winter weather in the next few months. I guess it will be a good addition to the cardio that I'm currently doing currently, I'm still trying to pull together a workout routine which I'm happy with it's still currently all over the place so I guess the running is a good start!

It was 29F when I left for my run this morning. I wore wool socks, a wool cowl, and a wool hat along with running tights, a long sleeve shirt, and a windbreaker. I was toasty warm. I really recommend either animal fiber (assuming you're not vegan) or a performance fabric for hats and scarves rather than the acrylic stuff you usually buy. It makes a world of difference. I'm a knitter, so I make my own, but there are plenty of places you can buy wool, wool blend, or performance fabric hats, scarves, gloves, etc.
  • rednose83
    rednose83 Posts: 20 Member
    I downloaded the app and used it when I started in July! I graduated the program and now run a 5K frequently! I love it! I can have my music playing and the lady speaks up and tells me when to start running again, then my music starts again. Really nice.

Same here. I also found it easier to run outside rather than on the treadmill with the app.
  • smallsadsam
    smallsadsam Posts: 29 Member
    I love it! I'm on day 3 of week 3. I'm nervous of week 4 coming up but I'm pretty sure I can do it if I get over the mental block.

This is my second attempt at completing it - the first time I got halfway through week 4 and injured my back (freak accident, my foot slid in to a pot hole and it jarred me so badly I had spasms for weeks - hit just right, ugh). The first time I did have to repeat week 1 and week 2 before moving up, only once or twice though and then I was ready!

I did some cardio ramp ups before starting it again, working on increasing my swimming distance and rowing so that my breathing wouldn't be what was holding me back. It has made a HUGE difference. I barely struggle now and probably once I get new shoes will be just fine.

I was really scared of week 4 too!! It really wasn't that bad... the first day was the worst but just like every other week, each day gets easier and easier. I just finished it and will do day 1 of week 5 tonight. Scared all over again LOL.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    I used the NHS podcasts, not an app. I repeated week 1 a few times, and week 4 loads, so its taken me longer than 9 weeks. However, given that I have asthma and have had the flu twice during that period, I feel very happy to have got to Week 6 and find it relatively easy. Now to work out what to do in the cold, dark nights ahead......
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Didn't use the app, but I did follow the program. I would just check my watch and ran when I knew it was time to run again. Now I'm on the final week, and I'm running about 2.5 miles nonstop. With or without the app, the program is awesome, and I wouldn't enjoy running without it. :-D
  • Have any of you guys had any success integrating the C25K app with myfitnesspal? I can't seem to get it figured out...
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Week 5, day 2 tonight!! I was terrified of week 4 but honestly it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected... of course, now I'm terrified of week 5 as well but Monday night went well, and I have new (professionally fitted) running sneakers for today so I'm actually quite excited!!