Bullying? Really?

Options

Replies

• ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The thing that irks me more is the fact that MSN had a survey. THIRTY-FOUR fraking percent of the survey participants said that yes, the winning team should have taken it easy on the losing team. I mean really :noway:

They did ! They put in their 2nd and 3rd string teams after 21 snaps. Did running plays, ran the clock. The other team was simply beaten, end of story. Can we just move on !!! Surely there is more important things happening out there......

Of course there are, but you're on an internet forum. Let us have our distractions, otherwise all work an no play makes Jack a dull boy.
    On a side note LOVE your profile pic!
    Well, this kind of thing tells us a lot about the state of our country/the world and I think it IS important to talk about. It isn't just about this one parent or this one game.

This is true. My co-worker calls it the "wellfare synrdome". It's the gimme mentality that we're teaching our kids. A country can't survive when the population walks around with their hand out.
  • cwrldpc
    cwrldpc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I run a race, and I know I'm going slow, I wouldn't feel any better about myself if a fast runner stopped to let me catch up. That would be even MORE demoralizing.

omg This. Totally this.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    OMG :noway: How the freak is that bullying???? That's just good football son!!!! :drinker: :laugh:
    Not really. Sounds like a pretty boring game!

When I was a reporter, I had to cover a football game once for our vacationing sports guy. Our local team dominated the other team in much the same way and it was like watching paint dry. Ugh.

Well yeah you got a point. Blow out games are usually boring... It just seems like the other team's mom is being a pretty bad sport about getting beat so bad!

ets: I don't know how they do things there but where I live we would never be scheduled to play someone we could beat like that. That's like scheduling a NFL team to play a high school team. It just isn't right.
    I don't live there anymore, but I heard a lot of whispers that the coach of the local high school would pull strings to get his team up against lesser teams to pad the win record so they could make the championships every year. It was a really big school, too. The county was small, but every kid in the county went to the same high school.

I agree scheduling is an issue. Whoever does it should at least try to make better matchups, but sometimes in more rural areas, it isn't that easy.
    If there are strings being pulled to secure championships it is still not bullying - it is a problem in terms of administration and how the organization is ran and should be adressed accordingly. But certainly not by calling the kids bullies.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OMG :noway: How the freak is that bullying???? That's just good football son!!!! :drinker: :laugh:
    Not really. Sounds like a pretty boring game!

When I was a reporter, I had to cover a football game once for our vacationing sports guy. Our local team dominated the other team in much the same way and it was like watching paint dry. Ugh.

Well yeah you got a point. Blow out games are usually boring... It just seems like the other team's mom is being a pretty bad sport about getting beat so bad!

ets: I don't know how they do things there but where I live we would never be scheduled to play someone we could beat like that. That's like scheduling a NFL team to play a high school team. It just isn't right.
    I don't live there anymore, but I heard a lot of whispers that the coach of the local high school would pull strings to get his team up against lesser teams to pad the win record so they could make the championships every year. It was a really big school, too. The county was small, but every kid in the county went to the same high school.

I agree scheduling is an issue. Whoever does it should at least try to make better matchups, but sometimes in more rural areas, it isn't that easy.
    If there are strings being pulled to secure championships it is still not bullying - it is a problem in terms of administration and how the organization is ran and should be adressed accordingly. But certainly not by calling the kids bullies.
    Oh, I totally agree. I didn't say it was bullying, just poor administration.

And it makes for REALLY DULL football games. I also don't think it's fair to any of the kids (including the superior team) because they don't really get to grow their skills. If it's too easy, it doesn't help you get better.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    But.... But.... But.... All kids are supposed to get trophies....

Sorry I had a momentary laps there. Rub some effin' dirt on it and get a better coach! It's sports! Your precious little children won't always win and they won't always come out on top.

I like this!
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, 91-0. Now that's one helluva Texas sized whuppin'. Even after Aledo put in their 2nd and 3rd string players, Western Hills could not score. What else is there to do, suit up the the Aledo HS Band? What about subbing in the concession workers pimpin' hot dogs and peanuts?

Bullying? That's rich.

Perhaps Western Hills might look at having their kids play something else aside from football. Probably could field one hell of a badminton team if they put their mind to it.

Hey Western Hills, take a salt tablet.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    To make all of this go away, we need to hear from the losing coach.

He needs to put out a statement that says something like "We were beaten. We lost. We were not prepared, and they have a great team."

End of story and news crap.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This is surely just a (mild) extension to the rather odd attitude that exists in the US to "running up the score". Barely a week goes by without some College Football team or other being accused of it - just last weekend, Nick Saban was visibly annoyed that his own 4th-string Running Back scored a touchdown at the end of their game, presumably because he didn't want to to be accused of it. It's the same in other US sports too - e.g. Baseball players not being 'allowed' to celebrate overly even when they've hit a Grand Slam.

All this seems very odd when viewed from outside the US. Watch the Rugby World Cup (or the Rugby League World Cup, next month) and you'll see the better teams happily crush the rubbish ones - and that's at International level.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, but not sure I agree with the comparison to baseball.

Baseball is the only sport where one person of the offense is up against 9 people on defense. The refrain from overt celebration has deep roots in the sport of baseball itself. There is a different mental process in baseball. There is more respect and the cordiality in baseball than there is in football. Football is a game with trash talking and brawn. I coach both, like many fathers, and you can tell which kids lean toward one or the other. Both take a great amount of physical skill.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    BTW, our communities local team lost 35-21 to Aledo in the state championship a few years back. Aledo does have a damn good team.

Agreed that the real issue is more about scheduling. If there is that degree disparity in the level of play between two schools, then really neither team is properly served to have each other on their schedule.

Perhaps the bullying claim would be better directed towards the school administrators who put this one on the books to begin with.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Did everyone see how the Red Sox bullied the Cardinals last night?
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Continued wussification of American kids

Strong this. How's a kid supposed to appreciate victory if the kid never loses?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    Continued wussification of American kids

Strong this. How's a kid supposed to appreciate victory if the kid never loses?

Losing is for the untalented and unprepaired.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Learning to lose with grace and humility is one of the finest things a person can learn at any age. Even if the winner is being a giant D-bag about it, you need to learn to deal with those people too.

One of the first things we do to anyone who comes to check out a Jiu Jitsu class is to pair them with someone who will crush them convincingly, preferably someone small, better yet a female. If their ego can't take getting crushed and they get a bad attitude, well then that's not someone we want on the mats with us anyway.

Competition is much more than teamwork and fun, it's the first real experience we have with weathering the ups and downs of life.
  • ren_ascent
    Options
    Learning to lose with grace and humility is one of the finest things a person can learn at any age. Even if the winner is being a giant D-bag about it, you need to learn to deal with those people too.

One of the first things we do to anyone who comes to check out a Jiu Jitsu class is to pair them with someone who will crush them convincingly, preferably someone small, better yet a female. If their ego can't take getting crushed and they get a bad attitude, well then that's not someone we want on the mats with us anyway.

Competition is much more than teamwork and fun, it's the first real experience we have with weathering the ups and downs of life.

I have an honest question. If the person isn't capable, at the moment, of losing gracefully does the class give them the opportunity to learn or do you deny them training? I'm curious because I've just put my kids in martial arts and it looks like something I'd like to try but I have pride issues. The thought of getting my *kitten* handed to me by a kid bruises it just thinking about it.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    New people are BY FAR the most dangerous people, as they have all the ego and will pour 100% of their strength into everything without control. This is why generally new people aren't allowed to roll with each other because that's where injuries usually come from.

Whoever is doing it is by definition going to be an experienced grappler who will be able to dictate the pace and intensity level of the roll (sparring match). They will be able to take the new person's spazzing and control them. The idea is to be dominant but reassuring and calm to both impress the person that someone much smaller than them can tap them easily with training and that it's perfectly fine to tap and they just need practice. We're not out to crush souls, we want you to respect the power of the training and learn to accept tapping as perfectly normal... seeing as you'll spend weeks and months doing little else.

If we get someone who JUST CAN'T HANDLE losing... then they are going to hurt themselves and others guaranteed. It's quite rare that someone can't get over this within 3-4 classes at the most, especially when they see everyone around them taking losses gracefully. Only happened a handful of times in 4.5 years of my experience, and yes they were invited to leave.

The great by-product is learning that losing is normal and must be taken as a learning experience. There's a couple of proverbs that are used a lot in Judo and Jiu Jitsu that are illustrative of this:

'A black belt is a white belt who has tapped 10,000 times.'
    'There is is no losing in Judo/Jiu Jitsu, there is only winning and learning.'
  • ren_ascent
    Options
    New people are BY FAR the most dangerous people, as they have all the ego and will pour 100% of their strength into everything without control. This is why generally new people aren't allowed to roll with each other because that's where injuries usually come from.

Whoever is doing it is by definition going to be an experienced grappler who will be able to dictate the pace and intensity level of the roll (sparring match). They will be able to take the new person's spazzing and control them. The idea is to be dominant but reassuring and calm to both impress the person that someone much smaller than them can tap them easily with training and that it's perfectly fine to tap and they just need practice. We're not out to crush souls, we want you to respect the power of the training and learn to accept tapping as perfectly normal... seeing as you'll spend weeks and months doing little else.

If we get someone who JUST CAN'T HANDLE losing... then they are going to hurt themselves and others guaranteed. It's quite rare that someone can't get over this within 3-4 classes at the most, especially when they see everyone around them taking losses gracefully. Only happened a handful of times in 4.5 years of my experience, and yes they were invited to leave.

The great by-product is learning that losing is normal and must be taken as a learning experience. There's a couple of proverbs that are used a lot in Judo and Jiu Jitsu that are illustrative of this:

'A black belt is a white belt who has tapped 10,000 times.'
    'There is is no losing in Judo/Jiu Jitsu, there is only winning and learning.'

Thank you, I definitely just learned a few things.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I didn't read the thread... but since I know what this is about... Yeah, the coach was cleared by the authorities... everyone except this ONE parent agreed that it wasn't bullying... it was just a REALLY good team beating the stuffings out of a REALLY bad team.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The thing that irks me more is the fact that MSN had a survey. THIRTY-FOUR fraking percent of the survey participants said that yes, the winning team should have taken it easy on the losing team. I mean really :noway:

The funny thing is they did... As soon as the coach saw what kind of game it was going to be (in the first half) he started taking out starts and putting limits on to how much they could score... by the end they were pretty much letting the clock run.