Post workout protein = necessary?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I don't know anything about science- how the body works.
    All I can tell you is that someone suggested to me to have some type of protein after a workout-
    even a string cheese stick-
    explaining that it helps with muscle fatigue.

it had nothing to do with getting in my daily protein- it apparently is needed shortly after the workout
    to do whatever it does to the muscles.

I tried it and it made all the difference in the world to me.

My husband started the same regime- he fishes tournaments-
    and discovered the same thing-
    the protein shortly after the workout-
    keeps him from being fatigued later.

I guess this is my advice:
    If someone gives me advice, I'm not out anything trying it- unless it's illegal, immoral or unethical:wink:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    The female trainer assigned to be the nutrition "expert" at my gym happens to be a competitive body builder, and she seems to apply her own food plan to everyone. She nearly panicked a couple of years ago when I mentioned that I was trying out being vegan. Rather than actually know anything about nutrition and balanced diets, she pretty much says, "I eat 8 eggs for breakfast and you should too." So unfortunately, I don't go to my gym for nutrition advice.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    The gym nurse is the nurse that works at the gym, lol. She's been giving me a lot of inaccurate advice (that I need to eat often to boost my metabolism or should try and build some muscles, when clearly I'm on a calorie deficit, for example), so I'm taking it all with a grain of salt...

Just curious- why do you say that this other advice is a myth ?
    for SOME people, eating more often DOES make a difference- there's many nutritionists who recommend eating 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day instead of 3. I'm not sure if it affects the metabolism, but it does affect the blood sugar levels- keeps them on an even keel.

And her advice to build muscle? doesn't building muscle burn fat?

Just not sure why you think this is dumb advice?

If this same advice came from another person working out next to you who is in great shape,
    would it be taken into consideration?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The gym nurse is the nurse that works at the gym, lol. She's been giving me a lot of inaccurate advice (that I need to eat often to boost my metabolism or should try and build some muscles, when clearly I'm on a calorie deficit, for example), so I'm taking it all with a grain of salt...

for SOME people, eating more often DOES make a difference- there's many nutritionists who recommend eating 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day instead of 3. I'm not sure if it affects the metabolism, but it does affect the blood sugar levels- keeps them on an even keel.

If this same advice came from another person working out next to you who is in great shape,

Because meal frequency makes such a tiny difference it really doesn't matter, and you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Missed 15 minute anabolic window, all gains lost
    lol
    Absolute barking nonsense OP.
    I challenge anyone to provide evidence for this eating window.
    Just eat within your macros for the day.

v46ipy.gif

LOL...I was actually going to use this same exact gif...beat me to it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Why is it dumb advice.

This particular OP stated they are in a caloric deficit, thus meaning they can't build any substantial muscle. The body lacks the building blocks to build muscle when it's in a caloric deficit (unless extremely untrained or morbidly obese).

Eating 5-6 times doesn't "boost metabolism". It has been debunked hundreds of times over.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    lol

v46ipy.gif

Yeh, which is why I laughed at the post (see: lol) and addressed the original poster (OP).
    Reading comprehension for the win.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    lol

v46ipy.gif

Yeh, which is why I laughed at the post (see: lol) and addressed the original poster (OP).
    Reading comprehension for the win.

Ya.....That's not reading comprehension. That is a horrible attempt at sarcasm.

Reading Comprehension for the fallback.....
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Because meal frequency makes such a tiny difference it really doesn't matter, and you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.

OP: Just curious - are you trying to build muscle or lose weight?
  • Francl27
    Options

OP: Just curious - are you trying to build muscle or lose weight?

At this point mostly trying to lose weight, just don't want to lose more muscle.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I was told by the gym nurse (among other myths) that one of the reason I lost muscle last time is because I didn't always have a protein snack right after a workout. It just seems totally counter productive to force myself to eat or drink something when I'm not hungry, and I can't always schedule my workouts just before I get a snack or lunch.

Is it a myth? Or is it really necessary?

It is not a myth that the body requires post workout protein. The question is, define the post workout window. If you, like most people, eat every day then all meals are either pre or post workout. This idea that you have 1 to 2 hours to get it in is nonsensical. Maybe once you have reached your genetic potential, precise timing can get you every last ounce if muscle growth/retention.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    How does the "gym nurse" know that you lost muscle? Were you measuring your muscle or something...? Maybe you didn't lose muscle and everything was fine.
  • Francl27
    Options
    How does the "gym nurse" know that you lost muscle? Were you measuring your muscle or something...? Maybe you didn't lose muscle and everything was fine.

They use measurements and a machine that you put on your arms. I got told by people here that it's pretty inaccurate though.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    The post-workout Protein supposedly helps with muscle recovery...however I don't think there's a specific window if you're already getting adequate protein.

I know when I have a protein shake after workouts, it helps me feel less hollow, for lack of a better word, and steadies me a bit seeing as I tend to be out of breath depending on what I last did.

I DO use Muscletech, ironically. It's really great tasting. I've tried the vanilla and chocolate from their Performance Series label. Done all kinds of different fruit smoothies and different peanut butter chocolate smoothies and I even add a little extra to them by adding about a tbsp of flax seed I grind up myself.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist told me that the body can only process 8-10 grams of whey protein every hour and "real" protein like eggs/meat is only 3-5 grams per hour. Pretty much she told me that as long as I consume at least 25 grams of protein per meal my body would have the materials to repair at all hours of the day. If i where looking to gain muscle then I should incorporate some small protein snacks in the day to up my grams per body weight formula. For morning workouts she suggested I drink whey protein to get more in the system quickly after fasting within 45 min of the workout...
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist told me that the body can only process 8-10 grams of whey protein every hour and "real" protein like eggs/meat is only 3-5 grams per hour. Pretty much she told me that as long as I consume at least 25 grams of protein per meal my body would have the materials to repair at all hours of the day. If i where looking to gain muscle then I should incorporate some small protein snacks in the day to up my grams per body weight formula. For morning workouts she suggested I drink whey protein to get more in the system quickly after fasting within 45 min of the workout...

hmm.....

Well, I think according to Gov. stats....
    If you are not doing exercise or weight lifting, you can get by on ~60 gr of protein.

Regarding protein and the body using it....
    Protein is something that can be taken up in your body over a longer period of time....
    You have a bigger store for it...

I encourage you to read the following:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html

In that order. :wink:
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    lol

v46ipy.gif

....I wish MFP had a "like" button. WELL PLAYED.