Dad's Cancer=Emotional Eating

Options
I am putting this out there because I am hoping to make "forever" changes in my life and I know many of you are triyng to do the same.

I have come to the conclusion that I am more of an emotional eater than I ever knew. Today I found out that my Dad's cancer moved into his blood and the first thing I wanted to do was eat. I wanted nothing more than to go to the market and get a bag of Halloween candy and go to Baja Fresh (mexican food) and pig out.

This instant fix would have
1. tasted good and
2. felt good in the moment.
But the after effect would be feeling sick for the rest of the night and having a sugar hangover for a few days. I have been doing really well making lifetime changes. I am training for a 5k marathon which is huge for me. I feel so much better than I have felt in ages and I do not want to fall back into bad habits when "life" happens, no matter how bad it gets.

I did a "little" emotional eating had 15 baked chips and two skinny cows. Not good but much better than the alternative.

What do you do when "life" happens?

Shelly~

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I had some really crappy news about my daughter's cancer today too. After I cried for a half hour, I wanted to eat everything I could see. Instead, I did a workout and had a granola bar. Not much of a consolation imho, but since my husband isn't here to help me through this, it's all I could do. Tomorrow is going to be rough for me being at the hospital all day having to eat the cafeteria stuff, but somehow you manage. I try to make the good food days more than the bad food days and hope they even out.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    my best friends dad also had cancer...noone can no your pain and his but my friend developed a terrible addiction to painkillers and her life is so screwed up now...so i would much rather my friend indulge in a little ice cream and candy than become someone like her...do what makes you feel good and just think if you were not dieting ...you would have ate bad the whole week and then gorged on something really bad...so little steps are good! my gf at work gets emotional she will tackle entire box of 100 calorie snack bags lol we all have our weaknesses...mine is candy ugh!
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about all of your family members. I wish them all the best.

As for the emotional eating, you did really well. First, you noticed that you wanted to eat more and then you made better choices. Then, you reached out to others to share. Congratulate yourself you did well!!!

Food is something we can control when we feel so out of control. Find other things that make you feel safe and comfortable - such as a book or possibly yoga (if you're into that thing). A good cry is also beneficial.
  • ShellyRath
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. It is the motivation and support I need to stay on track.

I think I will try to focus on an Attitude of Gratitude...

Thanks!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, my mother has colon cancer and it is in her blood as well. But instead of eating, I focused on helping my mother to be active and live as good a quality of life as I can. I started by walking with her every morning. at first it was 1/2 mile daily for both of us. She is now up to 1.5 miles of a morning and I am up to 3 of a morning.

Activity and mental attidute is a great factor to helping them live longer and happier.