Who asked you?

Options
I was sitting here thinking about a response I just shared with a sister's status who was sharing how her family seems to be suddenly concerned about her maybe over doing the fitness thing. And it got me to thinking about two comments I received today on facebook. As I shared there I realized not one of those ladies ever once came to me when I 'wasn't' doing anything about my weight to help me change my habits. I mean 250 was my limit, and you could see by my pictures I was not living healthy with all the drinking and smoking cigarettes and not one person came forward but now? I suddenly get people who just know so much about nutrition really trying to school me.

"be sure you're not getting too much potassium"
"do you think 3 lbs a weeks is healthy weight loss"
"Don't you think you are consuming too much water"
"I think you are working out too much, maybe just three days a week"

Now don't get me wrong we need to be wise in how we begin our healthy lifestyle movements, but it is interesting how those voices weren't there when we were at our most unhealthy place in life.

TO THAT I SAY BE A DUCK, LET THE FEELINGS ROLL OFF OF YOU IF YOU BEGIN TO FEEL DISCOURAGED OR A BIT DOWN OR EVEN CONFUSED AND STAY ON YOUR PATH. KNOW THAT MOST PEOPLE ARE HARMLESS AND HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY. SOME PEOPLE I BELIEVE TALK JUST TO HEAR THEMSELVES SPEAK AND OTHERS MAY HAVE A GENUINE CONCERN BUT WITH A GRAIN A SALT TAKE IT ALL IN AND KEEP PRESSING TOWARD YOUR GREATER GOOD! IT'S TOUGH ENOUGH TO FIND THE COURAGE TO DO WHAT WE ARE DOING AND ENCOURAGEMENT IS NEEDED HERE NOT CRITIQUES. BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS. AND WHEN YOU GO THROUGH IT, JUST LOG ON COME TO MFP AND GET SOME LOVE FROM THOSE THAT ARE IN THE TRENCHES WITH YOU.

NAMASTE......

Replies

• vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I agree with you completely - that is why I joined this site and stay with this site - most of the people who post and respond are so supportive, encouraging, and motivating without being judgmental - I love that and it is probably a big part of why I have reduced my weight so well.

Also, love your closing.

Namaste back to you.

Vickie
  • kristykritter
    Options
    You go girl! You gotta do what's good for YOU! Don't let other people get you down. Keep on going!
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Very good point....where were they when we were being sickeningly unhealthy?!?! I am going to ask the next 'concerned' person that lol
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well said. Here here!
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! Love it!!! Love it!!!! Namaste:drinker:
  • zumbalori
    zumbalori Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Gosh, THANKS so much for posting that! I do get tired of people telling me I work out too much. And the double standard gets me. My brother goes to the gym every day and he's the man! I go every day and I am "addicted" and may have my priorities out of order? O_o HMMMM Don't get that one. Thanks though, it feels good knowing I'm not the only one taking flack for trying to get healthy and no one ever said anything before when I was pushing 300 lbs and not feeling well at all. I am 60 lbs down, (started losing before I joined here) and hopefully with all the support I get here and hard work, I will lose the rest. :smile:
  • Jteck74
    Options
    Very well said :happy:
  • Kendra7107
    Options
    Your post gave me a much needed chuckle! :-) You are so right!! I can't tell you how many people have something to say to me and it's usually negative. When I lost 40 pounds I had friends that didn't say one word to me even though we hadn't seen each other in several months and even strangers at work where commenting. I think people just feel a bit threatened by others self improvement and the remarks say more about them than you.

One thing this journey has taught me is that even though we can reach out to others for support, it's a lonely journey because we have to navigage the changes and reactions and behavior of our loved ones and they are comfortable with us the way we are. :-)

You are doing great!! Keep up the great work!!
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    you rule and the best to you!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My MIL comments like that. She says like "don't get too skinny!!!" or "you're 125 pounds, that's enough!"

Um, I am 5'1, I am SHORT. Weight depends on height.
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    My thoughts are those people are just armchair quarterbacks. You said it right... you're in the trenches, they're not. To quote a phrase of the day, you have skin in the game, they don't. I always figure people like that are just afraid you will succeed and then they won't have any excuse for themselves. Maybe I'm wrong. Before I went to work losing weight myself, I sure never tried to tell others how to do it but since I have started, I've run into a few people who try to tell me.
  • mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    Options
    well put, i have been fortunate to not have those types of ppl say anything to me but I'm very sure that as soon as I move back to the United States where family can see me, the same negative ppl are gonna have something to say. Right now i'm enjoying my wins and building my resistance up to the eventual negative critique
  • sally125
    sally125 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh. I had the same thing happen to me and my family when we became vegetarians. All anyone ever talked about was protein are you getting enough because protein does this and that etc.

So I just said I don't know but are you getting enough riboflavin because it does all these great things what about zinc? Are you getting enough? Most people can't answer these questions so they stop with all the protein stuff.
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    IT'S SO GREAT TO KNOW I AM A PART OF A NETWORK OF LIKE MINDED INDIVIDUALS ALL WORKING TOWARD BEING BETTER PEOPLE. I LOVE IT AND FEEL I HAVE HAD ANSWERED PRAYERS! THANK YOU GUYS FOR BEING SUCH EXCELLENT SYSTEMS OF SUPPORT!
  • toberlili
    Options
    le it do what it do, girl, keep it goin, you are in control and your rockin it, your ambitious and it will be desired by many people, just smile, and keep it goin :)
  • Dionne2010
    Options
    yessssssssssssssssss! see what i say, I like your way!! lol love u sistaaah
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You are an amazing inspiring woman! You've raised such a good point here, I love reading what you have to say!
    What does Namaste mean?
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Well said!!! You do what's best for YOU!!! Sure, do the research and be safe on the diets and exercise tools you use, but don't let others suddenly become all Bill Blank (isn't he the Tae Bo guy :laugh: ) on you.

Sounds like you have a good plan set in motion...work it girl!!!! And know no matter who is questioning you, WE are all right here behind you XOXOX
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    Namaste basically means the devine in me honors the devine in you. (not worded exactly right)
    I think that when we do really well people come out of the woodwork like cockroaches with unwanted and unneeded advice in part because they are jealous that you are doing something for you. and that something brings the focus onto you. and they might lose their spot as the center of attention. (just my opinion)
    keep up the good work and if your doctor isn't concerned with how fast it is coming off then you shouldn't be concerned either.
    everyone's body reacts differently to changes in lifestyle. what takes three pounds off a week for one might only take off one pound a week for someone else.
    keep on being an inspiration to others cause you never know who's life you might change.
    namaste
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    WOW babydoll....couldn't have said it better myself!! Love it! Thanks for sharing the positive insight & motivation! :bigsmile: