Overwhelmed with fitness advice

Options
Sorry if someone has already posted something similar. I only went back about eight pages worth of topics.

Here's the thing. I've been looking to amp up my routine lately, as my current one is a bit wimpy. I'm usually in the gym about three times a week. I'll do 35 minutes of cardio (a mix of running/walking and elliptical for cool down, usually) and a weight lifting routine each time I go. Then I like to take at least one four-mile walk a week in the beautiful forest preserve behind my house.

However. When I go looking for advice, everything I'm doing seems to be wrong. First I read that running is the worst exercise someone can do, since it is hard on your joints. Then I read that the elliptical trainer is the most worthless machine in the gym and basically does nothing. I read that HIIT training is the only way to burn fat effectively, and that running for a long time at a consistent pace is worthless. But then I also read that HIIT is harmful for your body and not nearly effective as the other articles say.

Any quick and easy tips for decoding all of this?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you and something that you enjoy.. You enjoy running.. go running.. you like the elliptical.. go crazy.. they all burn calories.. you want to burn calories.. sure something maybe hard on your joints, or require more effort but they do the samething.. As far as your weight training, just keep increasing weight and do a variety of workouts.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you and something that you enjoy.. You enjoy running.. go running.. you like the elliptical.. go crazy.. they all burn calories.. you want to burn calories.. sure something maybe hard on your joints, or require more effort but they do the samething.. As far as your weight training, just keep increasing weight and do a variety of workouts.

^^^ Awesome advice! Only do what you enjoy doing. You will be more likely to stick with it. Try new things, if you like them do more, if you don't skip it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    stop looking for advice and just start working out. find some things you like to do and work on them in a progressive manner. people paralyze themselves with too much analysis when the main requirement for improvement is to just get started.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you belong to a gym why not do the class workouts.. That way you can see what you enjoy.. Exercise should be hard
    and enjoyable at the same time.. I do pump, spin and cardio kick all fun and with so many fit and unfit people.
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Agreed! It's all about getting yourself moving and having fun! Just pay attention to your body. If doing one thing causes pain (and not the good kind) then don't do it. I love running by the way. Once I invested in a good pair of shoes I haven't had any issues with my joints.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    What others have said. Do what works FOR YOU. Everyone is different. I took bits and pieces of info and created my own workout routines.
  • Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Super advice!! Thanks! I'm primarily a walker - the only thing I've added is an app for my phone that keeps track of distance and time. I use Runtastic, but there's a lot of apps out there. It gives me a little push to go a little farther, or walk a little faster.
    It also updates automatically to MFP, which is fantastic!
    Good luck to you!!!
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more, lift heavy.
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For me doing anything thats not sitting or lying is better then sitting or lying.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you belong to a gym why not do the class workouts.. That way you can see what you enjoy.. Exercise should be hard
    and enjoyable at the same time.. I do pump, spin and cardio kick all fun and with so many fit and unfit people.

I agree 100%. I always do more when I'm in a class. I can't seem to push myself as hard as the trainers who teach the classes.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think much advice is aimed at people who have never done any workout, and then just take up running because it is the most "obvious" way of burning calories. But many people don't enjoy it and at the same time think that if they took any form of weight training, they start looking like Schwarzenegger. And people try to break this way of thinking, since it is void of evidence.

This running = only workout mentality is what makes people fail at their exercise regime if they don't actually enjoy it, or walk wrongly and injure themselves. So just think of why certain pieces of advice are posted. No marathon runner is wasting their time if they enjoy it.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    woops sorry
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Then I read that the elliptical trainer is the most worthless machine in the gym and basically does nothing. I read that HIIT training is the only way to burn fat effectively, and that running for a long time at a consistent pace is worthless. But then I also read that HIIT is harmful for your body and not nearly effective as the other articles say.

The only way to effectivly burn fat is to eat at a calorie deficite period. Excercise makes it easier and has other benefits. Any type of excercise burns calories, Running a long time at a consistent pace burns calories and is very excellent cardio, HIIT is effective when it is done correctly you can get the same amount of calorie burn in say 30 minutes that at a slower pace migtht take 60 minutes but you need to get your HR up to about 90-95 percent. Do what you enjoy doing that is the most effective excercise.
  • AmazonEphiny
    Options
    stop looking for advice and just start working out. find some things you like to do and work on them in a progressive manner. people paralyze themselves with too much analysis when the main requirement for improvement is to just get started.

Definitely good advice. From everyone. You're right. I guess everyone sees results as long as they're putting in the work. I think it's just really easy for someone who is clueless to second guess themselves after reading advice from 'experts'.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    asking on this forum might confuse you even more!

running - doesn't have to be bad for your joints. all depends on your form. (i'd like to point out that you can probably do any exercise wrong and suffer ill effects from doing so)
    elliptical - if you have the time, and there's no motor attached to it, i am sure you can burn calories.
    hiit - haven't tried it, even though it has been hailed as the holy grail of late. meh, i decided i want a decent aerobic base, before doing intervals (hence i am a mid-long distance runner).
    weights - or strength for that matter, who doesn't want to be strong?
    walking - i am sure you find more sanity in that than ogling hot people at the gym whilst on the dreadmill :tongue:

in the end it's what the others said, do what you like doing or what you find gives you the best results. no matter who badmouthes it on the web somewhere.
    if you keep looking long enough, you'll find something bad about everything, and others praising it at the same time. (check if there's a current topic on milk, if you want to see diverging opinions :wink:)
  • AmazonEphiny
    Options

My gym doesn't actually do classes. Which is sad, since I always loved doing the classes where I used to live! My favorites were 30/30 and kickboxing!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

I agree. I tend to overanalyze things when the reality is I just need to get to work already. Whatever form of physical activity is most enjoyable to you, continue to do it. Whatever weight training exercises you enjoy continue to do those and try to push yourself to do more reps/weight as you progress along. Eat whatever type of healthy diet you enjoy so you'll stick with it. Results will come in time.
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone has already posted something similar. I only went back about eight pages worth of topics.

Here's the thing. I've been looking to amp up my routine lately, as my current one is a bit wimpy. I'm usually in the gym about three times a week. I'll do 35 minutes of cardio (a mix of running/walking and elliptical for cool down, usually) and a weight lifting routine each time I go. Then I like to take at least one four-mile walk a week in the beautiful forest preserve behind my house.

However. When I go looking for advice, everything I'm doing seems to be wrong. First I read that running is the worst exercise someone can do, since it is hard on your joints. Then I read that the elliptical trainer is the most worthless machine in the gym and basically does nothing. I read that HIIT training is the only way to burn fat effectively, and that running for a long time at a consistent pace is worthless. But then I also read that HIIT is harmful for your body and not nearly effective as the other articles say.

The only constant in physical training is: there will always be people who think there is only ONE APPROACH to physical training and health and fitness. I can't run five miles without debilitating pain in the knees and shins. My step-grandfather ran 5 miles per day until his 80th birthday, after which he switched to walking (and then lived 10 more years, taking that 5 mile walk every day until his last couple months). Everyone is different, would be my point.

Do what works for you. We live in the information age and there is a wonderful amount of advice out there, I do understand that this can be bewildering to sift through. Don't over-analyze. I suspect you are doing better than a lot of people out there already. Do what works.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I agree with most every one else. Do what you enjoy doing! If you don't enjoy it, you probably won't keep with it! Everyone kept telling me my treadmill was worthless and I had to GO OUT and walk to lose wait (what?) I didn't want to go out at first because I was overweight and felt like everyone was judging ugggg. Anyhow, we have to do what we enjoy. If that is swimming, jogging, running, biking, workout videos it doesn't matter. Just do what you LIKE!