cold weather=lack of motivation & depression

Options
I live in a cold weather region...and the cold just hit. soon the days will become shorter and shorter to where i will go to and from work in darkness. it really gets me down, even depressed. Perhaps a bit of seasonal affective disorder. i find it hard to stay on track with eating and exercise (the limited exercise i did do) during winter months. can anyone relate? I need to find motivation to stay positive--not just for nutrition/fitness aspects but for general mental health. Another winter of chilly cold, wind and snow...ugh.

Replies

• nebjennison
    Options
    believe it or not cold weather can be better for burning calories im a wrestle and when im over weight i will do exercises outside because when your body shivers it uses calories to burn to warm you, as well as cold weather helps with stamina. but im feeling the same way lets help each other
  • JeniM73
    JeniM73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sooooo can relate! I live in Kansas where the weather can be bipolar...literally dropping in temperature 30+ degrees in a 12 hour span. Crazy. I've been sliding into a bit of depression for several weeks now. I have little motivation to work out and haven't been eating right at all. I'm looking for a good challenge to get me going again.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a light box for the SAD? My husband uses one and loves it - it really helps. He gets up every morning and has coffee, catches up on the news and uses the light box. I've never been affected, but I love cold weather. I make sure that I don't change my routine just because of the weather. I am still at the gym at 6am, rain, cold, snow, etc. Just have to dress for the elements (I walk to the gym).
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Here in Michigan it gets pretty depressing during the winter. Dark coming into work, dark leaving work, too cold to do much outside on the weekends, etc. It definitely sucks compared to summer.

I always look at winter as a great time to focus on losing weight, eating better, and getting into better shape overall to prepare for the following spring/summer. You have at least 6-7 good months ahead of you to completely reshape your body for next summer. If you just lost 1 lb per week, that'd be around 25-30 lbs. Or if you wanted to add some muscle, you could start bulking and lifting heavier for a few months and then cut down a little near the end before summer. Either way, I find its better to look at winter as an opportunity to improve yourself for next summer.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Me too. I am trying to take Vitamin D, and ensure that I force myself to work out, because I usually feel better after, and keeping on track helps to keep my spirits up.
  • lahan505
    lahan505 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sooooo can relate! I live in Kansas where the weather can be bipolar...literally dropping in temperature 30+ degrees in a 12 hour span. Crazy. I've been sliding into a bit of depression for several weeks now. I have little motivation to work out and haven't been eating right at all. I'm looking for a good challenge to get me going again.

Bipolar is a great way to describe Kansas weather! One thing that might help with the depression is gettin a sun lamp or special sun lamp bulb for a regular lamp and use it during the day, especially if you are in a setting where you cannot get outside much during the winter daylight. That might help with the motivation to brave the cold. Or better yet, try to find a winter sport (cross country skiing, snowshoeing or something like that to get outside and "play" to alleviate depression and being cooped up in the house.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty unique approach to winter season workouts.

I cut out all my cardio only workouts. Every single one of them, tabled for spring. Seriously. all of them.

I just lift weights but here's the mental part...

I decide, on the first crisp fall day, that im going to be the bada$$ girl that has a reputation for being up and on the way to the gym at 5 am every dark frozen morning. and i have to HIKE THROUGH SNOW ON FOOT to get to the gym. a half mile, in the dark, in the slush, in the freezing face-biting blowing snow, to get there. My determination is my badge of honor and come spring, this butterfly can step out with results...

..instead of showing up in february going oh god now i REALLY need to get on the ball cause im bigger than i was in the fall.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What yoovie and cdahl said. Try spinning the "Winter is coming" approach into a "Summer is coming... and I have several months now to really invest in my fitness and aesthetic goals for summer!"

I also increase weight lifting in the winter and drop the cardio, although I'm not averse to hiking in snow, and I still run unless the windchill is near-deadly (I live near places where the city clears sidewalk even in big drifts, so I still have somewhere snow-free). There's certainly ways to keep outdoor exercise going in the winter... if you're into that. Otherwise, again, focus on what you CAN do inside, and do it x10. Remember, exercise is very important in raising endorphins, and in fighting off winter blues.

If you suffer from SAD, talk to your doctor about taking Vitamin D3 supplements or investing in a light box (some spas have them, so that's an option if you're not looking to drop a bunch of money).
  • jaysull21
    Options
    This is my first winter that I'm still trying to lose weight .... and I chickened out from running last night because it got down to 40 degrees by the time I was ready to go, instead pulled out the old recumbent bike and gave that a go instead..... I remembered why I'd rather be running, so I'm giving it another shot tonight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Have you tried switching things up in the fall/winter? I primarily focus on my lifting in the winter...I'm indoors, it's warm, and there's just something about pushing and pulling a ton of iron in the winter. I do some maintenance cardio either on my bike or spinning occasionally, but just to maintain my cardio and endurance base for the next racing season, nothing intense. I generally start building things back up cardio wise in Jan/Feb in preparation for 1/2 Century Ride in May and I'm also doing the Bataan Memorial Death March this year in March so I'll need to start hiking on weekends after Christmas. I find that it's really helpful in general to have "seasonal" training...keeps the motivation up and keeps you from getting bored doing the same old crap.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I live in the Pacific NW. It doesn't usually get terribly cold here, but it rains and rains and it's windy and gray and the air is CLAMMY and chilly and seeps into your bones. And it's dark when I go to work in the morning and dark when I go home. But it drives me nuts to be inside all day and I need fresh air, so I bundle up and go for a run at lunch and it keeps me from bouncing off the walls. And it's nice to confirm that the sun did actually come up at some point during the day.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    it can get to minus 30 where I live,Get a hot toddy into you, and get out there and kick some butt!
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    totally relate. I have found 2 things that help me. (a) and my husband HATES it - I turn on all the lights in the house, as soon as I get up and as soon as I get home. I work and make as much as he does and I'll pay the extra light bill thank you very much (b) Vitamin D - my physician routinely screens ALL of her patients now since she has repeatedly noticed that those of us who live in the NE have abnormally low Vit D. levels - after 2 years working and living in Bangor, ME mine was nearly non-existent. EASIEST way to get Vit D. Gummy Vites. I leave them on the counter by my coffee maker so I don't miss them and they are waaay easier to swallow than the horse pills I used to have to choke down. They are so handy & yummy that even my husband has begun to take them every morning and they are good for bone health also. I keep my eye on the pharmacy BOGO sales about once a quarter cause they can be a little pricy.

NOW if he would just get on board with the lights.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's hockey season!!.

I'm setting my backyard rink up next weekend, can skate anywhere from mid November to Christmas time depending upon snow pack.

Town rink is usually up and running by the second weekend of December. Get outside.... I'm usually more active in the winter than the summer.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    While it sucks about the limited available daylight, i found that it helps to get out for a walk or run during the middle of the day. Look the sun exists (or at least daylight if cloudy) - happy psychological benefit; potential for natural vitamin D - multiple phsyiological benefits, including helping produce melationin which will help you get better quality sleep. colder weather burns extra calories in trying to kep your body warm and you're carrying more weight with the coat and the gloves and the boots and the scarf and the hat - so double benefit.
    If you can't go out for whatever reason during the day - try to sit near a window; turn on extra lights to help your brain cope, get indoor plants, wear brighter colors, try to eat bright colored fruits and vegetables (again muliple benefits)

I am mildly affected by the grey days (after multiple grey days in a row, I'm miserable) in terms of outlook, so I do sympathize. But I kind of like the cold too. the skies are so star-filled when it's colder so night walks around the neighborhood are always nice.
    Just learn to dress for the weather.
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just asked this same question on my news feed about losing motivation. I haven't wanted to do any exercise for the past couple of weeks, and just can't seem to find the desire to do anything active. I was chalking it up to the change in weather, glad to know we can all commiserate together! I'll just continue to eat good and will hopefully get my motivation back soon.
  • kumphort2
    kumphort2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bundle up, once you get out there, the cold air, keeps u MOOOOVING!

My speeds have totally increased due to the cold weather!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Try to get out for a quick walk and spot of sunshine at lunch.

I keep myself moving with the WII. I like to play the games and get my kids laughing as I try to play the Dance type games. At least it keeps me from sitting on the couch.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Minnesota, and the winters can be depressing. I finally said" If you can't beat it. join it", and I started to do winter sports--crosscountry skiing etc. How about snowshoeing? If you take a walk in a winter woods it can be beautiful, and lift your spirits. Instead of being depressed--Get Out and About! I found that it made alot of difference. Dress right, if it's cold, and enjoy the world you have around you.
  • Yodifer
    Yodifer Posts: 87
    Options
    I try to find the positives in each season. Yeah summer is over and that makes me sad, but I can still have bon fires, and I can finally get some baking done that I've been wanting to do but refuse to turn on the oven when its 90 degrees out. There is nothing better than chili simmering on the stove while I'm in my sweat pants and a baggy tshirt. I also like to think of fall/winter as how much further to my goal can I get now that I have nothing but time in the house. In the summer I'm pretty busy, the kids want to swim, go to the park etc. In the winter we are pretty much house bound (we live in Buffalo brrrrr) so I look forward to the few months of hibernating and really focusing on my exercise routine.