some times you just have to tell them to keep quite.

Options
For the most part, I have been supported very well by my family and friends and it has helped me keep on track for the most part. Yesterday I walked 10 miles and my girlfriend said I was working out too hard. Again today I walked 7 miles and she told me to take it easy, I deserved a rest.

Well, enough was enough, so I simply told her thanks but I don't need any one trying to discourage me from trying to get into shape and lose weight. I am still over 300 lbs and just walking a mile was very hard for me. Who knew I would be able to walk 7 with a little jog now and then on the down hills.

Hopefully, she will stop trying to stop me from working out. :brokenheart:

Replies

• melodious2878
    Options
    Keep up the great work! And dont let anyone discourage you from exercising!
  • ppennington
    Options
    Do you think she might feel threatened? Is she overweight? It might be she's afraid you will get so fit and healthy you won't be interested in her. Just try to give her extra attention and let her know what she means to you. Women are a confusing, emotional lot. lol
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you walked so much! Great job and keep it up. She might just be worried and wants you to rest, but I understand why you would get slightly annoyed by it. I would. If you feel like you can do it, then you can do it!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Do you think she might feel threatened? Is she overweight? It might be she's afraid you will get so fit and healthy you won't be interested in her. Just try to give her extra attention and let her know what she means to you. Women are a confusing, emotional lot. lol

LOL, this is true too! I know I would.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options

Maybe you could invite her along for some of your walks (if you aren't already).
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options

LOL, this is true too! I know I would.

This was all my first thought! She probably isn't used to your routine being different, your time being devoted to different things, your interests being different. Sometimes people...women...lol!....don't like change! And she could be jealous! Even if she isn't overweight, she may not think she is slim enough or fit enough and knows she should be putting time into it just like you are!

We are complex creatures....So keep on loving her...and keep on walking...away...LOL! ;o)
  • Lulu2929
    Options
    Good for you. Keep up the good work.
  • thefallguy
    Options
    You should invite her to walk with you. I use to get so bummed out whenever my husband would go to the gym and I would beg him to stay behind with me instead.... you could go tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow. I wasn't necessarily jealous of his weight loss because I was pretty slim, I just felt the gym robbed me of my time with him.

I felt so much better when he would invite me.... buuut the gym's not my thing so he worked on how to incorporate me in his workouts by getting workout videos we could do together. Kill 2 birds with one stone.... Spent quality time together doing something healthy and productive! I LOVE walking with him but seeing that he gets out at 9pm, it's rather unsafe for us to do so. :( .

She probably just misses you. Don't take it bad.

:)
  • enromero
    enromero Posts: 104
    Options
    WOW!! 10 miles!! That is great! Keep up the hard work!! You are a huge inspiration!
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree. She probably feels that you are a "different person" now -- than the one you were before you got in shape. These walks are extremely important to you, and she know doubt senses this and may feel left out. I would invite her to walk with you, but not the entire walk. Perhaps you can suggest you do an early morning walk of 1 hour or so, and then you complete the remainder of your excercise routine on your own. You are doing great! Don't let anything deter you.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one,

Yes, I have offered to walk with her, but she doesn't like to walk because she over weight and out of shape. I do give her all the attention she wants, but she just complains every time she works out. She says she doesn't need to be in that good a shape. lol
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you aren't getting support. I too get this from my parents and have thought "damn it! why do they want to jeopardize my weight loss because I still have 70 lbs. to go!?!" but then I think that since they haven't seen us exercise at all for a very long time then now it seems as all we do is exercise and they may be genuinely concerned...

Either way keep up the great job :drinker:
  • scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Options
    I know what you mean! My wife is particularly upset now that my walks have become runs. She is afraid I'm going to fall over dead with a hear attack. Of course, then she brings home a 5lb bag of Planters peanuts in the shell. Temptation AND discouragement! We've got to stick together, man!!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You keep going! People that care about us want us to be happy. They want us to eat and relax. My husband used to constantly bring hoome my favorite junk food snacks every single time I started to diet! I've pushed past that and refused to eat it, or only had a little and then left it. Now he's actually realized I'm serious. He's even doing a little weight loss and exercise. This is a first!

Your on the right track!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the left out girlfriend part. But if she won't go with, and it's not her journey, don't stop yours! You are taking good care of yourself. You need to.