Help. My toe nails are falling off!!

Options

Replies

• cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bigger shoes and they WILL grow back. When they are bruised black, it is usually too late.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Bigger shoes and go to doctor please!

Hope your tootsies get better!

<3
  • jessiegrly
    jessiegrly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Did you have any issues with your toenails prior to walking?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound normal. Go see a doctor.

Indeed.

:sick: I've heard of runners having the problem but it sounds like it could definitely be your walking shoes. Go to a doctor though since things have oozed. Bleccchhh.
  • jessiegrly
    jessiegrly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Had to stop and say "Way to go on your weight loss!!"
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Your shoes might need to be a half size bigger. You're getting this from your toe repeatedly ramming the front of your shoe like it's a $5 *kitten*. If it makes you feel better the second toenail on both of my feet are only half grown back. I got mine from running in the rain with wet shoes/feet.

The good news is that this isn't a serious problem. Keep doing what you're doing. Just think about giving your toes more room.

^^^This.

I've had it happen, generally from trail running, but also from backpacking. The constant ramming action of my toes up against my hard boot was too much for my nails on the declines, even though it was just the tip that was hitting, it impacted the whole nail. After that I have tried to take precautions and keep my toenails insanely short.

If it's happening when you are just walking, your shoes are probably not roomy enough or you may need to clip your nails more often.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted properly for shoes.

I had a pair I randomly bought that did that to my big toe. Since I got fitted, I don't have that problem.

This^^^ It just means your shoes are too small for when your foot swells from activity. Your big toe is hitting the top of the shoe box constantly and is creating a bruise (The purple you are seeing) when a bruise is created underneath the nail, it is forcing the nail to separate from the skin to heal which is why you are losing a toenail. Start there and see what happens.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I would advise against going shopping for new shoes while your toenail is heavily bruised and about to fall off...... but that's just me....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Your shoes might need to be a half size bigger. You're getting this from your toe repeatedly ramming the front of your shoe like it's a $5 *kitten*. If it makes you feel better the second toenail on both of my feet are only half grown back. I got mine from running in the rain with wet shoes/feet.

The good news is that this isn't a serious problem. Keep doing what you're doing. Just think about giving your toes more room.

Or a half size smaller. If the shoe is not fitting properly around the middle of the foot, the foot can slide forward.

This is why she needs a proper shoe fitting and not just "a size bigger." But first she needs to see a doctor and have her toe heal.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The toenail of the toe beside my big toe fell off while I was training for my half marathon. I think it has to do with the way I walk/run. I kind of tuck those two toes together. I never got it checked out because I know I won't change my form and it didn't hurt too bad, just kind of sore... but if it starts to get painful then I'd go to a doctor.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Shoe size too small maybe? I always got a bruise under my big toe whenever I walked in my converses.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Yes, it has happened to me (2nd toe, especially). I do run a lot, and I came to the conclusion that my feet get swollen while running (so that my shoe become too small, and start pressing the shoe box of the shoe). I changed brands and size of shoe (1/2 size bibber), and I have not had the same problem with my toenails.
  • CaliforniaAtHeart
    CaliforniaAtHeart Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Super glue. Problem solved!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted properly for shoes.

I had a pair I randomly bought that did that to my big toe. Since I got fitted, I don't have that problem.

This I had the same thing happen when I started running.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to talk to a doctor, this could also be some deficiency like protein or other micro nutrient limitations. Hopefully it is just a shoe fit issue as that would likely be a more easily adjusted item.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Runners don't have toenails , so I have been told anyway because I am far from being a runner, I'm sure that there is nothing wrong try going a size up in your shoe because your feet do swell and maybe add a multivit if your not doing so already:)
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just lost the nail off of my middle toe and I'm about to lose the nail on the toe next to my big one on my other foot and it totally freaked me out!

I have been running for a few years and never had this problem. My culprit was a pair of canvas Sanuk's that I bought.

I'm going on vacation in December and I'm wondering if I can get an acrylic nail put on so I don't look odd on the beach!

Karen
  • Kittylu
    Kittylu Posts: 19
    Options
    This probably isn't the problem for you. I had the same thing and found out around that time, I had a thyroid problem, which causes all kinds of weird things. I do hope it's just a shoe fitting. Good luck.
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yep! This happened to me when I was trail running with shoes that were too small for that particular activity.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You should totally ask the internet. They'll know what to do.