Just joined up today

Options
Hi, I'm Stephanie
I am nineteen years old, weigh 213 pounds and am roughly 5'5 to 5'6.

I joined this site in the hopes that it would be able to help me get the push I need to get healthy. The problem I am running into is myself. Food has been a crutch for me in my life and a result it has become a bad habit. I eat when I am bored, I eat when I am stressed, I eat when I am hungry. The only one of those three I should be doing is when I am hungry.

Along with the weight problem I have some major psychological issues that I feel are holding me back and that one that jumps to the front line the most is Anxiety.

One of the problems that I have with excersizing is that I don't feel comfortable being alone. I have always been a really anxious person and tend to have racing thoughts. Even though I KNOW my neighborhood is safe I can't help but feel uneasy about walking around alone in it. I am currently unemployed and as a result am home alone for the majority of the day. I have no car and have no one I really can reach out to. No one from my school lives near me and I have deleted my face book due to an online relationship gone array.

Replies

• fat2fit2fine
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, even i joined today. People here are awesome. Hope you reach your fitness goals soon
  • Alliesweetie165
    Alliesweetie165 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just joined yesterday! I right now am doing a juice cleanse to start my healthy eating on Friday (:
  • thereallucylastix
    thereallucylastix Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    HI Stephanie

I just joined too :)

With regard to exercising, I understand what you're saying and I'd recommend going on youtube and finding Jillian Michael's 30 day shred (or something similar) - you can do these exercises in the comfort and safety of your own home...and more importantly, at your own pace. I recently attended a zumba class for the first time and - oh my goodness! I spent the entire time spinning around (usually the wrong way!) and feeling like a right t*t! And it was pretty demotivating to be so out of breath (and dizzy!) whilst surrounded by much older and larger people who looked like they'd been doing it all their life. Baby steps is the way forward!!

Good luck - add me as a friend if you want some support...I'm in the UK but we can still help each other :)

Karen
  • Smdgrad11
    Smdgrad11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just joined yesterday! I right now am doing a juice cleanse to start my healthy eating on Friday (:
    A juice cleanse? What's that? And nice to meet ya :D
  • Smdgrad11
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, even i joined today. People here are awesome. Hope you reach your fitness goals soon
    Thank you :D And from what I have seen I agree. Oh! Same to you! :D
  • Smdgrad11
    Options
    HI Stephanie

I just joined too :)

With regard to exercising, I understand what you're saying and I'd recommend going on youtube and finding Jillian Michael's 30 day shred (or something similar) - you can do these exercises in the comfort and safety of your own home...and more importantly, at your own pace. I recently attended a zumba class for the first time and - oh my goodness! I spent the entire time spinning around (usually the wrong way!) and feeling like a right t*t! And it was pretty demotivating to be so out of breath (and dizzy!) whilst surrounded by much older and larger people who looked like they'd been doing it all their life. Baby steps is the way forward!!

Good luck - add me as a friend if you want some support...I'm in the UK but we can still help each other :)

Karen
    The uk!? I'm so jealous ; D
    I want to go there so badly but I hardly have the money to spare. One of the reasons I want to go is because of a ride I read about that is in a place called Thorpe Park in the Uk. I love roller-coasters and this one is called saw the ride and it looks pretty f*cking awesome :D Maybe one of these days I'll be able to ride it xD

Ah, I have heard of zumba but I never tried it.
    Oh! Thanks for the idea! I will definitely check it out. One of the things I want to focus on is getting rid of my belly fat because ugh D: I just hate it.

Thanks! And I'll add ya :D
  • Alliesweetie165
    Alliesweetie165 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A juice cleanse is a getting rid of all the toxins in your body by just drinking juice for a few days. I chose three days. It's going to help shrink my stomache and get everything bad that I've eaten out!
  • Smdgrad11
    Options
    A juice cleanse is a getting rid of all the toxins in your body by just drinking juice for a few days. I chose three days. It's going to help shrink my stomache and get everything bad that I've eaten out!
    Ah I see. I'm trying to wean myself off of soda again because I tend to drink it instead of water which is something I need to be more focused on. Plus I did feel better and have a better grasp on my eating when I was drinking the soda.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie,

Glad you've joined us! A few newbie suggestions:

1. Make a few friends who have been around here a while. People who seem involved and supportive, but don't confuse support with always agreeing with everything you say and do. People who always agree aren't helping. They won't tell you what you need to hear. We all need a little tough love from time to time. If you feel like you may be too emotionally delicate to handle tough love, please get some professional help with that before subjecting yourself to the brutality of the internet. Most people here are cool, but there are some meanies that turn up from time to time.

2. Do your research. Fad diets, cleanses, supplements--there are a million discussions on here about them. Use the search function in the forums to see what's been discussed. There's a lot of good and bad information out there. If all else fails talk to your doctor and use common sense.

3. Keep your personal information private. As you mentioned, there are people who prey on others. There are crazy people too. There are also people who are just plain mean. No one here needs to know your location, profession, contact info, or even your name. Certainly don't give out your phone number. Please be safe and smart, ok? Once you've been here awhile, you'll get a better feel for how to protect your boundaries. Place them on the safe side to start.

Nice to meet you and good luck! :flowerforyou:
    SC
  • yvonne0103
    Options
    Hello my name is Yvonne,

I'm a 26 yr old mother of a 2yr old little girl. i joined this app because i have put a few extra pounds on and i would like to get back into shape i have been doing Zumba Fitness as well 2x a week my goal weight is 130 so i have about 12lbs that i would like to loose. its been hard so far to count my calories cause i use to eat so much and now i have a limit. if any tips on foods that i can eat and still reach my goal please let me know.
  • papillio12
    papillio12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie!

Congrats on starting your journey :) If you have problems with anxiety have you considered doing CBT? It's an excellent way of feeling in control and certainly helped me with my stress eating!

There's an online site called moodgym which will take you through a general program you can do at home for free (my doc referred me to it so it's legit)

Good luck!
  • nippoleon
    nippoleon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey hun~

I see we have a lot in common. I'm gonna add you, and if you ever need to talk to someone about anything, I'm totally here for you. (:

You can do it! I started a few pounds higher than yourself, so I know how daunting it is. But honestly, it's super easy.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie,

We welcome you to MFP..I will tell you that if you are consistent and honest with your logging this site is a lifesaver both physically and mentally...yes, MENTALLY which I know is a concern for you. I was looking back now, a virtual wreck..unhappy, sad and now I feel 100% better..it really is true working out and eating better can improve even anxiety! Soda for me I think was a BIG BIG culprit to my mental and physical state....I was drinking ALOT and it was like a bad drug..I was up and down...horrible. I am always around if you need a friend or advice...weight loss is and I will not sugarcoat it..HARD! Best of luck to you!
  • health1971
    Options
    Hi Stephanie :smile: ,

Welcome to MFP, I've been on this website for about 6-weeks and I love it... I have made friends that want to achieve their goals just like me and we support one another every day... If this is what you want/need then feel free to add me any time :wink: ...

Regarding exercising alone, I totally understand and I'm lucky enough to have my husband as a partner but when I'm alone I do Julian Michaels DVDs and I'm home :happy:

Hope this website helps you achieve your goal :smooched: ...

Taking a step at a time to reach my goal always :flowerforyou: ...

Ivonne
  • missysprinkles
    Options
    Hi. I'm in the same boat - a newbie. So far I've lost 16lbs, by not eating any rubbish and telling myself, I don't want to be fat and forty. I am currently doing Get fit with Mel B on the wii. Just found Fitness channel on sky. So recorded Jillian Michaels ripped in 30. OMG I thought I was going to die, but I pushed my body till I was nearly sick and completed the session. My body is sore in all parts. No pain, no gain. Keep up the good work :).
  • pauluk1978
    pauluk1978 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie

Welcome to mfp, like so many others i have found some really supportive, motivational and inspirational people on this site, feel free to add me if you need extra support.
  • BronwynNZ
    BronwynNZ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just joined up again a couple of days ago. I'm about the same height and weight as you. Feel free to add me.