How do you set your workout goals? Length, cals burned?

Options
How do you set your workout goals? Length, cals burned, something else?

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Cardio - calories burned
    Weights - just do my routine
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Weight routine completed.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Cardio - calories burned

That's what I was thinking, too. I'm thinking of adding hills or more intense stuff into my routine and can't imagine doing it for the same amt of time that I run or bike.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    30-40 min M-F that's it. Don't like it that much to do any more!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've learned to be more flexible than i used to. a lot has to do with how much time i have on my hands, the second factor is how much i did the day before and the week leading up to it.
    so if i run 8k today, i won't run more than 8 tomorrow, unless i feel tired or achey, in which case i rest. I'll also rest if i plan a longer run the day after, go figure. i try and do some strength, but can't always fit it in (I've learned i do best when lifting after running, else, i end up sore for up to a week).
    in the end i don't quantify a goal really, i just do the best i can with my time and energy allowance :happy:
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    My goal is to burn 3500 calories a week. Doesn't matter how I do it. Obviously there is a fair amount of cardio involved but my ultimate goal is to run the Detroit Marathon next year so I sort of need it. Over the winter months I will be cutting my running down a bit and upping my strength training. In spring I will shift my focus back to mostly running, cycling and swimming.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    My goal is to burn 3500 calories a week. Doesn't matter how I do it. Obviously there is a fair amount of cardio involved but my ultimate goal is to run the Detroit Marathon next year so I sort of need it. Over the winter months I will be cutting my running down a bit and upping my strength training. In spring I will shift my focus back to mostly running, cycling and swimming.

Good luck! :bigsmile: Are you focusing on strength training now bc of the colder weather?
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Mileage. 35-38 per week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My fitness goals determine what I'm doing exercise wise and they change throughout the year depending on the season. It's really helpful to actually have independent fitness goals. Right now we're going into winter which means I really hit the weight room hard, cardio consists largely of some maintenance mileage on my bike to maintain my cardio vascular base and just general cardio vascular healthy.

Later in the winter (January/Feb) I'll start putting some more miles on the bike and start doing some hiking on the weekends too in order to prepare for the Bataan Memorial Death March in March and the Santa Fe 1/2 Century Ride in May. Summer brings about my 5K racing season so I'll start running a lot more in April/May...this year I'm also going to do a sprint triathlon in September so I'll start training for that in the summer and use my 5K races as "training races" for that event. I'm obviously doing less intense stuff in the weight room when I have all this racing and what not going on. I wind things down in that RE at the end of Sept and then get hard back into the weight room...rinse, repeat.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Good luck! :bigsmile: Are you focusing on strength training now bc of the colder weather?

In part because yes, in part because it is helpful for distance running. I have a trainer building a plan specific to my goals. She is a friend and has a degree not a certificate so I trust her advice.
  • borderedhessian
    Options
    Since I'm trying to think of my new-found love for running as a new part of my life indefinitely, my goals are mileage. Half marathon in February, just about to 10k without stopping now!
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am currently lifting. I make long term weight goals and attempt to reach them. For example, One of my long term goals is to bench my body weight 5 times in a row without stopping by the end of the year. I am currently 30 pounds away from that. I have my routine all set, so my focus is simply setting new goals within my routine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Ideally, everything I do has a goal.

long runs - distance or target HR (low)
    short runs - speed or target HR (high)
    biking - distance, elevation, speed, or target HR
    intervals - duration/distance and number
    lifting - reps and weight used

Other things I do just for fun.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My goals are set based on whatever event I'm training for or what lifting program I'm doing.

For example, I'm currently training for a half marathon, so I'm increasing my mileage every week (slowly, but surely). I ran 9 miles Sunday. I'll be running 11 next week, followed by the half the following weekend. I've busted my butt to be able to run those miles in relative comfort with relative ease.

After the race, I'll be starting a new lifting program. I will be aiming for some strength gains and fat loss. And I'll still be running, but shorter distances, in order to keep my cardio base for an event in December.

So, I guess my point is that my workouts aren't about burning cals or going for a certain amount of time. Instead, they are about preparing me for whatever challenge I want to tackle next.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Mileage or weights.

When in training, I have a very specific plan. The week has an overall mileage, each run is specific (easy miles, easy miles with strides, 8 miles with 5x1000m at 5k pace, 7 miles with 3 at goal pace, long run, etc). The progression slowly builds mileage first, then adds more quality miles, then sharpens me for the race. With weight, I look to improve the amount I can lift with good form.

When out of training, weights are the same, but I run for whatever length I feel like ( generally keep it to 30 miles/week).

granted, it took me 9 years to get my running to this level. I've only been hitting the weights for 9 months or so, but I can see the difference in myself and in my running.

Calories are whatever, I eat accordingly.
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Cardio- Timed session
    Intervals- Do my routine
    Weights- Do my routine
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Right now: Cardio goals are around calories burned (usually at least 1 hour), and for weights just maintaining strength.

I generally hate exercise, but I understand its importance is maintaining overall health and well being.
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am always interested in my work effort and the best measure of work are calories. I use total calories in a workout to show total work effort, as well as calories per minute to show intensity. This is pretty straightforward for cardio and the "calories per minute" measure is something I am always trying to improve upon. I also use "calories per minute" for strength training when I am in a high rep, rapid sets phase. The calorie isnt a very good measure for low rep, long rest phases and it is then that I look primarily at the weight I am lifting (but even then calories still measure energy expended).
  • wendycbee11
    Options
    I normally just try and do at least half an hour - usually 20 mins of cardio and 10 mins of strength :)
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    My goal is at least 3000 calories burned in exercise a week.

I walk my dog 2 - 3miles every day so that accounts for about 800-900 calories of that.

I strength train 3 days a week which accounts for about 450.

And I have 3 cardio sessions week to make up the rest