Breakfast Casserole

Options
Amitysk
Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
I made a super easy breakfast casserole this morning for a work pot luck. Huge hit.

1 package of shredded potatoees
12 eggs
1C milk
2C shredded cheddar
16oz breakfast sausage
1TBSP dry mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350.
1. Whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Set aside
2. Cook sausage and drain if neccessary
3. in a 9x13 baking dish layer the hashbrowns, sausage and cheese. Mix together until combined. Pour in egg mixture.
4. Bake in oven 40-60 minutes until eggs are set and the edges are starting to brown.

This recipe is easily adapted to the crockpot for over night cooking as well. Follow same steps except cook on low 6-8 hours.

Serves 10

Per Serving: 402 Cal 19 carbs 26 fat 24 protein

Replies

• jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Great idea especially the crockpot method. The only sub I would make would be bacon or ham for the sausage. I cant remember the last time I ate a good breakfast sausage.
  • Amitysk
    Options
    Bacon would be delicious!
  • WorkingOnMe3
    Options
    *save*
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    *bumpalicious!*

We'd probably add dehydrated onions and use Tapatio on the top... ;)
  • micia4u
    micia4u Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wonder how it would turn out if you substitute whole eggs with egg white or add some bell pepper and onions for added flavor...
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm......bump. Now I'm REALLY hungry!
  • Amitysk
    Options
    Those substitutions would be delicious!
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    bump
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious as is, lol. Just wondering how big a serving is... Guessing it would be a nightmare to estimate.
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious as is, lol. Just wondering how big a serving is... Guessing it would be a nightmare to estimate.

Basically you have to go through the hassle when you first make it and then from the calorie total, you can reverse engineer the serving size. For example, my wife and I made a casserole one night and we counted it all up. It came to about 1400 calories. We figured out it made six servings at 235 calories a pop (it was meant to be a side dish). We noted everything down on a recipe card and now when we make it, we just refer to that.

It's a hassle, but if you are going to make your own stuff, which can be a great way to live, you have to "do the math".
  • katbirdinpa
    Options
    I use Laughing Cow chesse whenever a recipe calls for cheese. 35 calories a wedge :bigsmile:
  • OVAW8MOM
    Options
    Bump
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Basically you have to go through the hassle when you first make it and then from the calorie total, you can reverse engineer the serving size. For example, my wife and I made a casserole one night and we counted it all up. It came to about 1400 calories. We figured out it made six servings at 235 calories a pop (it was meant to be a side dish). We noted everything down on a recipe card and now when we make it, we just refer to that.

It's a hassle, but if you are going to make your own stuff, which can be a great way to live, you have to "do the math".

Well you'd have to weigh it all once cooked and divide by 10. Ugh. That's why I don't cook LOL.

Really sounds delicious though.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Well you'd have to weigh it all once cooked and divide by 10. Ugh. That's why I don't cook LOL.

Really sounds delicious though.

Why would weighing be necessary, when you can add up the calories in the ingredients and divide by the number of servings? The number of servings would either be the number of equally sized pieces that you cut it into, or a portion of the total volume of a recipe. For example, if a casserole filled an 8 cup container, then there would be 8 servings of one cup.