Atkins vs South Beach

I have a question... For those of you who have tried one or the other or both, which did you have better luck with?

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    I have tried both, and had short term success with both.

They are both to restrictive for me. I have learned it is not the foods, it is the amount of food. Yes there are certain foods a person should only eat as a treat when trying to lose, but do not restrict yourself to not eat it period. Remember this is supposed to be a life long endeavor.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    bump
  • Mjconnelly586
    Mjconnelly586 Posts: 41 Member
    I have tried both and I think atkins is really good for fast, short term weight loss. With atkins I lost 5 lbs in the first week which is encouraging. South beach was not as dramatic, but south beach is much more sustainable. I think if your goal is for a lifestyle look more into south beach, if your goal is to lose lbs quickly for something follow atkins induction.

I agree, neither are great for long term, it is learning how to have all foods in moderation in general. However, I do believe there is such a thing is sugar addiction and some people can't have "just a little" sugar. Find what works for you! Look into Paleo as well, it is similar to both but in some ways more restrictive and other other ways less.

Good luck!
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Done both, had faster results with Atkins, but couldn't sustain it. I find South Beach to be more a life living diet. I can abide by its principals easier. That's not to say I'm perfect, can't seem to rid myself of the sweet tooth tape worm, but overall SB is easier, and is teaching me a healthier way of eating. Besides, my husband's cardiologist recommends it, Atkins scares him.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I have done both in the past. SB at least leads you down a path towards more balanced nutrition...but really, you need to adopt something you can make a part of your permanent lifestyle, not just for losing weight. SB tries and they tell you to take what you've learned along the way to heart and practice it in maintenance, but few people ever do...most people return quickly to old habits. Long term, sustained success requires a complete change of mindset and understanding that nutrition and fitness must be lifetime endeavors...there is no finish line except the one you cross when you die.