Steel Cut Oats - Where to buy in the UK?

Perhaps I'm just dumb or just having a bad day, but I'm finding it very hard to find a place that sells Steel Cut Oats in the UK. I half expected the large supermarkets like Asda and Tesco to sell them but they don't as far as I can see. The only place I've seen so far is on Amazon but there surely are other options. Can some nice chap or chapess please point me in the right direction, either to a UK online or retail shop.

Thanks.

Replies

• TheTrimTim
    TheTrimTim Posts: 220 Member
    Thx. Have you used any of these shops (not the eBay ones) or did you just Google? :)
  • I buy regularly from Goodness Direct - great company - but my oatmeal preference is 'McCann's Irish Oatmeal Steel Cut Oats' which I have been getting from ebay (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/HEALTHY24-7).

I haven't bought from Planet Organic or Melbury and Appleton yet - the sites were recommended by a friend.

Hope that is of some use.
    :smile:
  • TheTrimTim
    TheTrimTim Posts: 220 Member
    Thx.

Btw, if that's what you get, you might want to check out Amazon. You can get the same slightly cheaper:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004VEKGOG
  • Thanks for the tip - will check it out.

:smile:
  • TinaB_2012
    TinaB_2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Sorry, I know this doesn’t help you, but I thought your question was funny. I buy “McCann's Steel Cut IRISH Oatmeal” here in the US. Seems like you would have an easier time laying hands on Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal on your side of the pond that I do! It’s the little things that crack me up. Did you ever find Steel Cut Oats? Now that I’ve been cooking with it, I find I like it much better than the rolled oats.

The best recipe I’ve found so far:
    1 cup of Steel Cut Oats
    4 cups of Almond Milk (I use the low calorie version)
    4 TBS of Cocoa powder
    4 TBS of Agave Nectar (or other sweetener)
    1 tsp of vanilla extract.

I mix it all together in a deep baking dish and bake for 2 hours at 350 degrees. It’s a great breakfast (especially if you add a bit of coconut and almonds before you eat).
  • LouFangled
    LouFangled Posts: 1 Member
    Hey m8, you've probably found a retailer now but i just bought organic whole oat groats at http://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/734/real-foods-organic-oat-groats-whole-bulk-wholesale, hope this helps you and anyone else looking in the UK
  • Irish oats are steel cut oats.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    I get mine at a local health food store. They're super cheap there.
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Can someone explain to me the difference between buying steel cut oats to buying Quaker or Scot's Porridge oats?
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523 Member
    Can someone explain to me the difference between buying steel cut oats to buying Quaker or Scot's Porridge oats?

THIS^^^^^
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Porridge oats are slightly more processed so cook quicker. They also have less calories by volume, steel cut 150 cal per 1/4 cup, porridge 150 cal per 1/2 cup. But steel cut have more soluble fibre and slightly more nutrients due to being less processed, they also have a chewier texture and nuttier taste.
  • AnsiStar
    Porridge oats are slightly more processed so cook quicker. They also have less calories by volume, steel cut 150 cal per 1/4 cup, porridge 150 cal per 1/2 cup. But steel cut have more soluble fibre and slightly more nutrients due to being less processed, they also have a chewier texture and nuttier taste.

Sorry, I'm still not sure I follow? Surely oats are oats. If the ingredient is rolled oats then...that's it? What does them being steel cut have to do with it? Sorry, I just want to understand but I can't see how 100% rolled oats=processed :(
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member

Sorry, I'm still not sure I follow? Surely oats are oats. If the ingredient is rolled oats then...that's it? What does them being steel cut have to do with it? Sorry, I just want to understand but I can't see how 100% rolled oats=processed :(

To make porridge oats (rolled oats), oat groats are cut up and flattened out. That's why they're like flakes. I don't think jumbo rolled oats get cut up first, which is why they're a little bigger.

Steel cut oats are oat groats that have just gone through the cutting up phase. They haven't been rolled flat. So they're chunkier and take longer to cook. They also have a chewier texture.

I don't really prefer them to jumbo rolled oats. They're just nice for something different.
  • AnsiStar

To make porridge oats (rolled oats), oat groats are cut up and flattened out. That's why they're like flakes. I don't think jumbo rolled oats get cut up first, which is why they're a little bigger.

Steel cut oats are oat groats that have just gone through the cutting up phase. They haven't been rolled flat. So they're chunkier and take longer to cook. They also have a chewier texture.

I don't really prefer them to jumbo rolled oats. They're just nice for something different.

This makes a little more sense now :) so nutritionally is there much difference?
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Buy from iherb on the net. I'm in Korea and use it to get stuff to me that I can't normally get here. Shipping is fast and cheap too.
    http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=QEP304
  • amergee
    amergee Posts: 5 Member
    Holland and Barrett. Cheap as chips and on the high street :-)
  • AnsiStar
    Holland and Barrett. Cheap as chips and on the high street :-)

I've never seen steel cut oats or Irish oats in Holland and Barrett??