Healthy eating and bad moods :(

Options
I want to continue eating healthy but some days I just feel depressed because of it. My eating habits include lowering my carb intake, increasing protein and cutting back on sweets & alcohol. The eating works, but my moods on the other hand become a little erratic. Some days I just feel down, and for no particular reason. But when I eat sweets/or anything with sugar I feel much better. It's to the point my husbands mentioned it a few times and the last thing I want to do make everyone else in my household miserable while I'm on this journey. Maybe I should mention I come from a family with low blood sugar, but I've been tested and the numbers are normal. Any suggestions of what else could be causing this? Thanks

Replies

• sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you took away my guitars from me, I'd be cranky and moody.

This might not be the same thing for you, but I suggest that you should find a reward (something you can HAVE) for succeeding in avoiding the foods you are trying to keep away from (stuff you CAN'T HAVE). For example, I wanted a shirt I saw on sale. I made myself be very good for one week and then my wife and I made a little trip to the store and bought me the shirt, it was fun. Point being, we worked out this equation: "you can't have that, but hey, you can have THIS, okay?". Works on toddlers, works on older people too.

The other thing is your body might still be adjusting to the lack of junk food, it all might smooth out (I wasn't sure if you have been eating healthy for a long time, if you've been eating healthy for three weeks, then I'm barking up the wrong tree with this last comment).
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster about your body adjusting. I was cranky at first, as well.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options

The other thing is your body might still be adjusting to the lack of junk food, it all might smooth out (I wasn't sure if you have been eating healthy for a long time, if you've been eating healthy for three weeks, then I'm barking up the wrong tree with this last comment).

Yes I just started clean eating again about 2 months ago so it's still fairly new. It seems fair enough that my body needs time to adjust though so hopefully it'll get better over time.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    We have different opinions of healthy, but if you lowered my carbs and took away my sugar and alcohol, I'd be a cranky b*tch. My happiness is worth way more than that. I eat all the food, drink all the vodka, workout as much as I want and it works well for me. I'd say re-evaluate if you are unhappy.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It might be an interesting experiment to test your blood sugar, right when you are feeling down, because my guess would be that it is something to do with blood sugar even if the standard doctor's office tests weren't able to catch it at the right time. Do you also notice your mood flagging when you don't get your usual amount of exercise? Balancing brain chemicals is tricky tricky and carbs definitely give a boost in the short term, but with significant drawbacks if your insulin is at all wacky.
  • star5785
    Options
    It might be an interesting experiment to test your blood sugar, right when you are feeling down, because my guess would be that it is something to do with blood sugar even if the standard doctor's office tests weren't able to catch it at the right time. Do you also notice your mood flagging when you don't get your usual amount of exercise? Balancing brain chemicals is tricky tricky and carbs definitely give a boost in the short term, but with significant drawbacks if your insulin is at all wacky.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking.. maybe need to get it checked at the right time. My mood does fluctuate if I don't work out too, I think you're on to something :grumble:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    We have different opinions of healthy, but if you lowered my carbs and took away my sugar and alcohol, I'd be a cranky b*tch. My happiness is worth way more than that. I eat all the food, drink all the vodka, workout as much as I want and it works well for me. I'd say re-evaluate if you are unhappy.

This.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    The connection between carbohydrates and mood is all about tryptophan, a nonessential amino acid. As more tryptophan enters the brain, more serotonin is synthesized in the brain, and mood tends to improve. Serotonin, known as a mood regulator, is made naturally in the brain from tryptophan with some help from the B vitamins. Foods thought to increase serotonin levels in the brain include fish and vitamin D.

Here's the catch, though: While tryptophan is found in almost all protein-rich foods, other amino acids are better at passing from the bloodstream into the brain. So you can actually boost your tryptophan levels by eating more carbohydrates; they seem to help eliminate the competition for tryptophan, so more of it can enter the brain. But it's important to make smart carbohydrate choices like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes, which also contribute important nutrients and fiber.

So what happens when you follow a very low carbohydrate diet? According to researchers from Arizona State University, a very low carbohydrate (ketogenic) diet was found to enhance fatigue and reduce the desire to exercise in overweight adults after just two weeks.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/how-food-affects-your-moods
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I say save room for your treats and alcohol and enjoy your life...Looks like you're doing ok just fit it in to your calorie goal.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Great post, but I would like to correct one thing. Tryptophan is not a NONessential. Indeed it is essential, it helps stabalise mood, brings feelings of peace and wellbeing and it also helps one sleep. I would recommend trying to take 5-HTP while you are trying to lower your carbs and sugar levels. But don't forget Carbs are essential too, everything in balance.
  • recover_healthy_fit
    recover_healthy_fit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This is me.

MODERATION. I'm practicing having what I love in smaller doses but keep the healthy higher.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I get moody from foods as well... I'm currently drinking a skinny mocha (coffee and half a pack of sugar-free hot chocolate) as we speak because the caffiene and the chocolate taste make everything a little better... I find that even though I'm craving and wanting sugary things and they make me feel better they tend to make me just want more so I try not to give into those cravings..

If I do give into a craving I try to make it loaded with fats and proteins instead of carbs they tend to make me feel better later even if it wasn't what I was immediatley craving something like shredded buffalo chicken with blue cheese crumbles on a bed of spinach or green beans

Sometimes if you do need the sugar you should go for fruit with some healthy fats like an apple with slices of cheese apples are great sources of natural sugar

Lastly go for the low calorie sugars if you need a zing like diet soda or even a pint of artic zero ice cream only has 150 calories.. no it's not the same as real ice cream but sitting on the couch and eating my artic zero pint always cures my moods.
  • star5785
    Options

I agree, everyone's body and opinion of health is different. I'm usually pretty good with moderation but I have to rely more heavily on diet because I can't workout as hard as I'd like(due to chronic pain). So to stay healthy my diet is key. It's just trial and error right now, so I'm still in the process of figuring out what works for me.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions!!!
  • star5785
    Options

So what happens when you follow a very low carbohydrate diet? According to researchers from Arizona State University, a very low carbohydrate (ketogenic) diet was found to enhance fatigue and reduce the desire to exercise in overweight adults after just two weeks.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/how-food-affects-your-moods

Thank you! This makes sense
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Is it only carbs or just sweets? What about trying something with natural sugars (like fruit)?

Like would pineapple work?
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Do you allow yourself to indulge once a week?

I tried eating clean 90% of the time low carb & low fat. I found myself always in a bad mood and always wanting to have the foods I wasn't allowed to have. Then I switched to eating more flexible however when allowing myself to indulge more often, My body felt frumpy and the results just weren't there.
    So I started to experiment with different diets and I found something that works very well with my body. I'm always in a good mood and I can't wait to eat my next meal.My Boyfriend even noticed that my mood has changed for the better. My carbs are below 30g however my fat intake is high along with my protein. My sugar intake is below 20g a day. But I love Saturday because I get to eat my favorite meal like sushi, pizza & ice cream :) Don't get me wrong though I do eat good sources of healthy Fats, Protein & my carbs come from the greens. I always make sure to get creative in the kitchen because If my plate looks plain, I won't eat it :)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Just a random thought for personal experience.

Check the days you've felt down for your protein levels and where during the day you've eaten them.

While carbs can give me an up, I'm usually most disagreeable when I've not had balanced protein throughout the day.
  • hayward_101
    Options
    Hi guys! :) So relieved to have joined up to this group, have been suffering from binge eating for a few years now but have never ever spoken to anybody about it through embarrassment. I'm more motivated than ever before to try and sort this out and get my life back on track, but i'm just figuring out the right way to go about doing it properly. Does anyone have a method that has worked for them?? Thanks! :)
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Personally, my mood overall is vastly improved after cutting out added sugar/grains. But if that's not working well for you - a couple thoughts: First - are you hungry when you're feeling down? In which case I would eat more fats in particular to keep you full longer. And if it's more that you feel like you need a treat and are used to rewarding yourself with food, experiment with what else you can do for yourself. Get a massage, do some yoga, something that will make you feel good/feel pampered without involving food. I feel like I've gotten rid of that habit - hadn't craved sugar in months, but then I do something I haven't done in a while and realize that there is another habit to kick. For example, I've been flying on business trips lately, and I hadn't done that in ages and realized how used to "treating" myself with candy at the airport I was. I'd have a craving for some nonsense that I don't even like, but it's just my subconscious going "oh, poor me, going to be stuck on a plane, I deserve candy". And interestingly, I always used to feel like hell after a flight. But the past couple trips, I've eaten my meal before I leave, get on the plane and just drink water and eat the next meal when it's time for it and go figure... I feel better. Yeah, I had moments where my subconscious was like "I DESERVE A TREAT!" but I'm not a 2 year old. I don't need a treat to sit still on a plane. I bought a good book instead and realized I don't have to give in to random cravings.

But if you're genuinely hungry / your blood sugar is low - that's a different thing to figure out.