Lactose and Gluten Free Recipes?

Options
Does anyone know any good Lactose and Gluten free recipes?
I am lactose and gluten intolerant and I'm having troubles coming up with recipes I can make for myself & my family that they will actually eat.
Can you help?

Replies

• RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Anything w/out wheat or dairy. Rice, quinoa, beans, protein (tuna, salmon, chicken, beef, pork), gluten free tacos/bread, VEGGIES, soups, burgers, nuts, applesauce, the list goes on!

- warm soup over bed of rice or quinoa
    - gluten free wrap with veggies, protein, rice and beans
    - burgers wrapped in lettuce
    - mashed sweet potatoes with corn and green beans and a protein

*Plus that huge forum folder called Recipies.*
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    hey hey just seen your message and I am exactly the same. can share some of the ideas of things that I use and eat that are pretty good.

I generally eat a lot of vegetables and meats. love using tamari sauce (gf soy) to make things richer in taste. so lots of oriental foods.
    tonight I made a poached salmon thing:
    onion,garlic,ginger and a few chilli seeds and 2 sticks of lemon grass, added about half a tin diced tomoatoes and stirred for a while to let the flavours mix and the onions to go golden. and the tomatoes to reduce down a bit. then maybe 1/4 - 1/3 can of coconut milk (depends how saucy you like it, size of your pan or if you accendtally boiled it to death like me woops).
    once all mixed together, i added a salmon fillet portion. I get them in the bags in tesco - already portioned up (though if you can handlle doin it yourself you may be able to get a whole or side of salmon cheaper at the fresh fish counter).
    poached the salmon until it was tender flakes. then removed the salmon and mixed in pak choi and some green beans into the poaching juice which had reduced down a bit thicker poured it into a bowl put the salmon back on top and VOILA!
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i finnd that i'm also sensitive to the GFF breads/wraps - i do wonder if it's a sensitivity to the additives or preservatives too..hmmm?!

in general I make a lot of salads and use sweet potatoes a lot as i LOVE them.

Also a HUGE fan of the arla lactofree range - i love the cheese, the yogurtts are AMAZING, and it was unreal to have cream cheese again for the first time in years.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I am gluten free as well, but I don't cook - much anyways, it's just me, single, living alone.

I eat a lot of meat, just check spices to make sure they are gluten free. McCormick is gluten free, I know that, I use their taco seasoning to make taco meat to eat throughout the week. Chicken, turkey, I found a TON of single meals at Sprouts (used to be Henry's) and trader joe's has some stuff - but I just try and keep fresh meats, fruits and veggies, and Kind bars and pure bars are gluten free as well, for a snack or protein. pure I know is vegan, so you're fine with the dairy there, and I've never seen dairy listed on kind bars.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Pick up some vegan cookbooks or check out vegan websites. My family is lactose intolerant so I do a lot of vegan baking, using vegan butter or almond/coconut milk. Most vegetarian/vegan books and websites have tons of gluten free recipes as well.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't know about gluten, but I don't eat dairy and I've found it pretty simple to use non-dairy substitutes. I like almond products best: milk, yogurt and ice cream. Cultured non-dairy milk (I recommend coconut) is also delicious as a substitute for buttermilk! I don't eat vegan cheese because it's probably best for my diet to stay away from cheese anyway. Instead of butter, I use oils; they have healthier fats anyway.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com

desserts!!! :)
  • jenny092090
    Options
    This is my all time favorite.

20 large frozen peeled deveined shrimp, thawed
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    10 (about 4 ounces) very thin slices prosciutto
    Cooking spray
    8 lemon wedges, for serving

Preparation

1. Preheat broiler.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, basil, olive oil, zest, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Mix well and set aside.

3. Lay the prosciutto slices on a large work surface, and cut prosciutto in half lengthwise so you have 20 pieces. Wrap the prosciutto around each shrimp, leaving the tail hanging out, and thread on an 8-inch skewer. Repeat with remaining shrimp for a total of 4 skewers with 5 shrimp each.

4. Place the skewers on a broiling pan lightly coated with cooking spray. Broil the shrimp 2 minutes on each side. Serve hot with lemon wedges.

You might also get a lot of other recipes here. http://cavemancookery.com/