will my goal calories change after so much weight loss?

Options
i signed up tonight, i am severly overweight. i am 6 feet tall and 318.2 pounds. my caloric goal is 1830. will that decrease as my weight decreases? or will it stay the same through the whole program. thanks in advance :)

Replies

• jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    MFP will adjust your caloric targetl with every 10 pounds of weight loss.
  • TreetYoSelf
    Options
    yes that amount will decrease as your body's demands (determined partially by your size) decrease.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Just a warning, you will probably see a rapid loss the first few weeks and then it will slow down. Do not get discouraged and do not expect to lose everything in 6 months. you have to think as a lifestyle change. If you do not exercise and you want some ideas, you can check youtube for free exercise videos and try the Befit channel and may be the Leslie Sansome walking videos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2gn6-w0dE Do not try to do too much in the beginning because your body is into shock now from the diet and exercise but will adjust slowly.

And some useful reading to start

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069268-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • Siobhan3240
    Options
    It will decrease. MFP started me out at 1460 calories and I lost 29 pounds and it has me down to 1300 now.
  • vcyrus
    vcyrus Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say, "Welcome," and congratulations on beginning the process to change your health and life for the good. Wishing you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • quiqui29
    Options
    Welcome and you've made a great choice.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    In general, the recommended caloric intake may or may not decrease as one loses weight. In your case, however, it will decrease at first. But as you get closer to your goal weight, you'll have to update your weekly weight loss goal to a smaller loss which will increase your recommended caloric intake.

Example:
    -An active 210 lb woman (with a goal weight of 130 lbs) is set to net 1300 calories with a 2.0 lb per week weight loss goal.
    -Woman now weighs 175 lbs and is set to net 1600 calories with a 1.0 lb per week weight loss goal.
    -Woman now weighs 140 lbs and is set to net 1800 calories with a 0.5 lb per week weight loss goal.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    In general, the recommended caloric intake may or may not decrease as one loses weight. In your case, however, it will decrease at first. But as you get closer to your goal weight, you'll have to update your weekly weight loss goal to a smaller loss which will increase your recommended caloric intake.

Example:
    -An active 210 lb woman (with a goal weight of 130 lbs) is set to net 1300 calories with a 2.0 lb per week weight loss goal.
    -Woman now weighs 175 lbs and is set to net 1600 calories with a 1.0 lb per week weight loss goal.
    -Woman now weighs 140 lbs and is set to net 1800 calories with a 0.5 lb per week weight loss goal.
    Yes, I did this. I deliberately increased my net calories over time. At the beginning, I had set it to 2lbs a week, and now, closer to goal, I have it set to 1lb a week. It will also make for a better transition into maintenance, IMO.
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Welcome. MFP is a great place to ask questions.
  • photofatmel
    Options
    I just lost another 10 lbs (22 so far) and the app asked if i wanted to update my goals. so I clicked yes and it gave me 120 more calories to eat. why? when i first started this app 70 days ago it started me at 1980, the after my first 10 lbs i accidentally clicked no when it asked so i readjusted manually to 1900.

Anyone know what's going on here?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I just lost another 10 lbs (22 so far) and the app asked if i wanted to update my goals. so I clicked yes and it gave me 120 more calories to eat. why? when i first started this app 70 days ago it started me at 1980, the after my first 10 lbs i accidentally clicked no when it asked so i readjusted manually to 1900.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Is your current weight correct? I had some diary problems because my current weight somehow got changed up near my starting weight, rather than my current one.

It should be adjusting down around every 10lbs that you lose, to my knowledge.
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Example:
    Yes, I did this. I deliberately increased my net calories over time. At the beginning, I had set it to 2lbs a week, and now, closer to goal, I have it set to 1lb a week. It will also make for a better transition into maintenance, IMO.

Yes this. When I first started I was eating between 1400-1500 with a 1lb week loss. As I got smaller, the calories decreased, but when I changed it to .5lbs loss and then maintenance the calories increased a bit. I am now at maintenance and it is set to eat 1620+ exercise cals.
  • Whatfriendsr4
    Whatfriendsr4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone happens to know how to change the goal weight. I want to change mine because it seems to unreasonable and I was hoping someone could tell me how to change it.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Go to your home page. Across the top you will see Goals. Click on that and then click on Change Goals. It will bring you back through the wizard.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't differ by much but has highered as im lose to maintaining
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks MIRRIM52. I had been hunting for these instructions...couldn't remember what I did before. :-)