How often do you buy clothes as you're losing?

Options
I didhave clothes put away for this weight loss, but it saddens me to say my husband donated everything without my knowledge until I went looking for them. Now if I need any clothes I have to buy more, but losing weight makes my fat clothes lookto big. I was an 18/XL but now around a 10/12 /Medium and I am still wearing a few too big for me shirts.

As you are losing weight how often are you buying clothes or are you trying to wait for the next 10 pounds or your goal weight?
Thanks

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I had to buy clothes around every 10lbs lost, because nothing would fit and my pants would be falling off. My suggestion would be to buy one or two pairs of pants, multi-functional, something that can be worn everyday, and buy cheap. Walmart, thrift stores, clearance racks. Clothes with some stretch and pants with elastic or drawstring waist helps get you through those in-between times, too. I bought a small "wardrobe" in May, when I thought I reached my goal weight and was done losing. Fast forward to Sept/Oct--its all too big now. I also traded my clothes with family members. My big clothes went to my aunt and step mom, and my little sis gave me some smaller clothes. Then, my in-between sizes went to my little sis.
  • aharburger
    aharburger Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have lost 27 lbs and probably 2-3 sizes, but I don't know for sure because I haven't bought new clothes! Right at the beginning of my weight loss I had to buy a whole new wardrobe because I was busting out of everything I owned. I'm a broke grad student, so belts and dresses are my friend right now until the weather gets cold enough here in FL to have to buy new warm clothes. At the point I will probably go to Goodwill or something to save money since I still have 15-20 lbs to go. Its been 6 months of losing btw.
  • lesutherl
    lesutherl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have more than 100 lbs to lose for me I am planning to use a 2nd hand clothing store and keep my purchases to a minimum. i plan to donate my fat clothes as soon as they are too big for me I am not ever going to wear them again.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    For me, because of money also, it was about every 4 months; I just kinda wore my clothes baggy. After 30lbs, that's when I knew I had to start buying some new pants. Right now, I'm 12 weeks pregnant so holding onto the larger stuff has helped. ha!!
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I wasn't planning on buying anything until I hit my goal lol but last week I had a work thing n needed to buy a outfit found a good sale so was able to get a some other stuff.i just don't want to waste any money
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe i'll buy one outfit every 10-20 lbs lost (whenever i feel that set get too big) but mostly i wear my big baggy clothing for now until even a belt wont hold them up.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Find friends and/or family that have outgrown their clothes and ask them for them!

Fortunately, I didn't have to ask, I have friends that lost weight and they just gave me clothes. Even recently, I thought my clothes providers have dried up but then I had to visit home for a funeral and my sister had me try on a bunch of her clothes she doesn't wear, so I have more clothes!!!

If you don't have peeps, visit the local thrift shops. I haven't done that yet, but if you go to the 'wealthy' areas you may find some good finds.

Good luck!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I buy a few new items pretty regularly, but I almost always hit up the clearance racks so that I don't spend too much on clothes I'm bound to "shrink out of". I limit myself to having just 2-3 pants that fit at a time, but I can't stand to wear pants that are too big and falling off my hips. It makes me feel sloppy and frumpy, so I suck it up and buy pants whenever I need to, although I do keep an eye out for sales. A couple of months ago, I managed to score a pair of Levi's for $12!
    However, I've been an avid clearance shopper for quite some time, so sale-hunting is part of my regular routine anyway. :happy:
  • RockAShelley
    RockAShelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I own a thrift store so im lucky enough to have "new clothes" at my disposal on a regular basis. However I have a LOT of customers who come in looking for new and in-between duds while they are on their weight loss journey.

That being said, i have been able to teach many of my customers how to make their "plus sized" clothing adapt to their new body with some simple tricks and tips. Tee shirt weaving and reconstruction is fairly easy, Adding a belt around the smallest part over your waist can help pull over sized shirts in and show off your new shape. Sweaters can be converted into Wrap style pieces as well as long sleeved shirts simply by adding Ties and buckles.

here's a link you can check out too for ideas and visuals http://www.pinterest.com/rockashelley/re-fashioned-clothing most of the ideas on this board require little to no sewing.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I have never given a thought to how often. If all my clothes are too big I need to buy some that fit. Everything doesn't get too big at once. Thank goodness.

I've had to replace my entire wardrobe as I've been losing. I have not bought jeans yet but that is because I had a lot of smaller sizes saved. I'll have to buy jeans in a month or so when I've gone through the last few. All my old tops are gone - all too big. By next summer all I have now will be gone, too big, too. I am looking forward to being able to build a nice wardrobe that will last for years.

When something gets too bit I donate it or take it to consignment. Most things are wearable a little bit big but then they start to look sloppy. I try not to be caught looking sloppy.

I get most of my clothes new, on clearance. They go to consignment when they get too big & the money I get helps buy smaller clothes. I buy them just a little small so they will last longer. The few times I bought something that fit just right it was too big within weeks.
  • zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I only buy new clothes if mine are starting to look sloppy or really too large on me. I don't have a lot of disposable income, so thrifting and walmart are my best friends at this point.

I've been living in walmart jeggings (stretchy! woo!) because none of my size 4 jeans fit *quite* yet. I am incredibly glad I saved all of my size 2 and 4 jeans.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I've been buying a couple new shirts each month and one or two new pairs of jeans as I drop each size. Luckily once I get to a size 14 I'll have my old clothes from when I lost before to wear.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    I use a local tailor, and get suits I need for work taken in every 10 or 15 pounds.
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    Options
    My plan starting in July was to lose 7 kg, now shifted to dropping 10 kg (22 pounds), which I should achieve before Christmas. I haven't bought any new clothes and am planning to go shopping during boxing day sales.
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy jeans until mine were falling apart or off. And then I bought two pairs.

As for shirts, if it looked good loose I tried a smaller size, if it still looked okay, I bought it, knowing hey at least it will still look good when I lose! I found myself buying a shirt or two once every two weeks.

As for jeans I just had to go down a size again, and luckily my favorite brand was 40% off, so I bought two. I have to feel good about how my clothes fit, so I don't always do cheap, instead... I buy what looks good, and what I know I can alter on my sewing machine! (It is very easy to add darts to the back of baggy shirts!
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    am having the same issue right now... all but ONE pair of pants i own sag and hang off me and fall way too low when im talking.
    even the pants that dont fall right off, are all saggy in the thighs and the butt because their really old.

i need new bras too.... i went from an almost 40D to a now 33/34C or so. >.<
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    My mom forced me into the Goodwill last night to buy new work pants. I was still wearing my size 16 pants, my new pants are size 10...I just figured I'd buy clothes once I was finished losing weight.
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have had to purchase pants 4 times since I started my weight loss journey in March. I have a very hard time finding pants that fit me bc Im short. 5'2" and very petite. I love Maurices and their short/extra short pants fit amazing on me so spending the $36 each time was worth it.
    I love going to thrift stores to find stuff but cant find anything that is short enough and a tailor would end up costing me the money I would have spent on the pants originally. Holding on to my larger sizes for one day when I get preggo, they will probably come in handy!
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I buy almost all of my clothes at thrift or consignment stores. (NOT bras, underwear or socks.) My wardrobe has changed SO much in the last 15 months. I'd say that I kind of refresh the wardrobe every other pants size, depending on the style. Tops seem to last a little longer in the baggy stage. Although now I'm wearing a loose size 16 in pants and maybe an XL in tops. I just spent $96 today at a great consignment shop and got three pairs of name brand dress pants, a button down shirt, and six sweaters. One of the pairs of pants would have been at least $50 retail. The sweaters are a necessity in NW Minnesota... and since I'm missing a lot of my former insulation, they are even more of a necessity. (It's down to about 30 degrees at night and I'm wear sweats AND fuzzy socks to bed, and it isn't even COLD out yet!!)
  • BrendaRey74
    BrendaRey74 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I commented on this before but it bears repaeting. I'm 78lbs down, 78lbs to go! I've purchased the grand total of 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of yoga pants, and undergarments (and 4 pairs of sneakers!).

My bras still need major engineering and that isn't cheap but I haven't found any way around that. I just buy 4 in the new size and rotate 'til it's time to get a new set.

With clothes, I was the belting queen but finally got to the baggy sad sack stage which is so not a good look! I can sew a straight line (and not much more) so I've started to take in my pants. I just take in the waist of my skirts but they are all full not fitted anyway. Tops are next on my sewing experiment list (crosses fingers).

Honestly it is a good problem to have. I remember too well having to go out and get another bigger size again! Well and that's the other thing, since I've never thrown out anything, I've been working my way back through the smaller clothes that I outgrew on the way up. Now that I'm altering them on the way down, there really is no going back. :D