Quick Weigh in Question!!! help?

Options
Okay so i notice everyone doing their way ins? do you only weigh yourself once a week? do you do it every day? or do u just keep track of how much you lost and then just post it in the weigh in once a week? :huh:

Replies

• H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh myself everyday, just to see how I'm doing. Once the scale goes down, I record it. But that's just me... :)
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    You get to do it however you want. You can get hung up weighing every day. I usually record a loss if it sticks for a couple of days.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Generally I try to only weigh in once a week - on Tuesday mornings. The reason for that is because I have gotten obsessive in the past where I weighed in multiple times a day - and that's no good. Our bodies naturally fluctuate, but its easy to feel down or upset when the scale goes up a bit over the course of the day.

Sometimes, if I have been doing really really well I will do a mid week weigh in but I don't record that on mfp, I only record my tuesday morning weigh ins.
  • SunySyde
    Options
    I weigh almost everyday. I am trying something new...the reverse diet and plan on weighing once a week. Its hard but I moved the scale from in the bathroom and that helps a little. I weighed this morning...but I am going to try not to step on the scale again until next week!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Once a week first thing every Friday morning.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I weigh myself every week and a half or two weeks. (that is when I log it too) That way I can actually see some real progress. Everyday would be too depressing - considering weight fluctautions, ups and downs....
  • jmcniel
    jmcniel Posts: 65
    Options
    I weigh in on the 1st and 15th of every month.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It just depends on what works best for you. Typically nutritionists will tell you to weigh once per week whereas doctors often say to weigh every day. In the past I would weigh once per week because it would discourage me to see the daily fluctuations on the scale. But this go around I am weighing once per day and I take it as it comes. I don't find it discouraging. I only record it once per week though. I call Wednesday my "weigh-in" day. If you find you're getting obsessive about weighing in, definitely keep it to once per week. Keep in mind that weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs in one day due to sodium intake and bloating. Don't let that get to you. Just go with what works for you! :) Good luck!

P.S. I weigh first thing in the morning after I empty my bladder.
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh in once every day. That way if there's a gain, I can make sure I drink more water, work a little harder, adjust my eating a little bit. I don't weigh in several times a day like some people. I weigh in first thing in the morning when I get up, after my bathroom break and before I have my first coffee.
  • havfaith
    Options
    I weigh once a week, Monday mornings. Keep in mind that weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs in one day due to sodium intake and bloating. Don't let that get to you. Just go with what works for you! Good luck!
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Everyday for me. Helps me stay motivated. If i see it go up a couple - i try and work out an extra bit harder (even though i realize it may be natural fluctuation)..if it goes down - its more motivation to hit a new goal. I have maintained this way for the past 3-4 months after losing 30lbs last spring. before next summer i want to get another 15 lbs or so off. I set a 3 lb goal and use the scale as a daily "friendly" reminder, its usually is in the back of my mind to help stay focused at lunch or during a workout but i dont stress about it..I use it as motivation which i think is key. If the scale stresses you out it may (most likely will) hinder wt loss. I use 1st thing Monday mornings for my "official" weigh in. I also think (for me) using very small goals help and do not reset until i reach original milestone.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I weigh daily but am trying to only focus on my weight at the DR every 2 weeks.
  • mhcook
    mhcook Posts: 10
    Options
    For me, I expect to weigh in monthly. I know my weight fluctuates and daily or weekly may not show enough to keep me interested. Everyone is different
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day to keep myself in "check". It keeps me motivated and pushes me to eat healthy and hit the gym regularly. However, if you're not careful and haven't come to turns with what you weigh, it can be very crushing and you could become obsessed.

Personally, I had been at my all time highest weight for so long that I just accepted that that is what I weighed. Now that I am losing it, the scale doesn't hurt me, it only motivates me.

It all depends on your relationship with the numbers that show. If you find that it is devastating to see a certain number and ruins your day and your ambition, then you probably shouldn't weigh in so often. =P
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Normally I check my weight once a week, but only to find out what my change in body fat is. I also use calipers to find body fat percentage, and then I do the math to see what changed, lean mass or body fat.

However, when I am recording weight changes, I only do this once a month. The body weight can fluctuate so much within a day that it could look like you gained weight within a couple of days when you really didn't. So I give it long enough so that I know that when I see the weight go up or down, there's no question that it actually did go up or down without worrying about whether or not I am retaining water, for example.

Besides, it is much less stressful and leads to less headaches and depression. And I am no longer a slave to the scale.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    I weigh-in every 5 days, when MFP alerts me of my log in days. This way 'the moment' isn't in the front of my mind...
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    I personally weigh myself everyday, just to see how I'm doing. Once the scale goes down, I record it. But that's just me... :)

I do the exact same thing!! :laugh:
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I'm setting mini goals every 2 weeks and will probably post if I make those. :)
  • Evolving
    Options
    Hey BESTIE! Usally I weigh in twice a week....on Fridays and again on Monday's. This way I know what I'm working with for the weekends...which can be the buzz kill for the week. Monday's, so that I can so any damage...LOL! Family, fun, and food favorites all happen during those little 2 days...if you know what I mean. :}