Everything is too big on me! Awesome but frustrating?!

Options
So I've lost almost 40 pounds, and essentially every thing in my closet is too big for me. All of my favorite sweaters, shirts, dresses, everything. So annoying now because I can't afford to go shopping again! Even my bras are too big for me. What am I supposed to do? No one told me about when your clothes get too big for you!!

Replies

• mojosalsa
    mojosalsa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can always thrift, until you're the size you know you're going to stay, and have enough money to start building a new wardrobe.
    If you give thrift stores a chance, you will find name brands and lots of stuff that's new with tags. You can get some designer jeans for -10 bucks. I would do that, just get what you need, while you need it. And put a little away every week or month and let it fund your awesome wardrobe when you're ready.

AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm on my way to having your problem. My clothes are loose, and I'm fitting into the stuff that was too tight before. I can't wait until I'm ready to redo my closet.
  • RockAShelley
    RockAShelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Most thrift store hold store wide sales the last week of the month. Now might be a great time to start looking around :)
  • aimee081872
    aimee081872 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's a good problem to have, though! It means you're making good progress! I've lost 51 lbs and just went through my closet today! I'm left with four pair of jeans and no other pants. The tops aren't so bad, because I've always been a smaller size on top than on bottom, but I still had to get rid of about 25%. One thing that I found that worked for me was to check Goodwill. I know it sounds a little strange, but I've found three pair of Levi's and a pair of Old Navy jeans that all looked like they'd never been worn. They were $5 each! It's what I'm wearing for now until it's time to drop sizes again. I've also found shirts from Gap and Old Navy with the tags still on them! So check places like that! You might be surprised at what you'll find. ????
  • nataliejulie
    Options
    Tip: Buy on eBay!! I LOVE Gap jeans -- they fit my body type perfectly, especially the jeggings. Gap jeans are like, $60... on eBay, I can get them for $25 brand new.

Usually I'll try on clothes in a store, then go find it on eBay for cheaper.

And congrats!!
  • curativelifter
    Options
    Congrats! As everyone has said Great job and good problem to have!
  • aharburger
    aharburger Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    TL;DR I just bought new bras and the rest will just have to wait!!

I haven't lost quite as much as you but I'm definitely in the same boat. the size 12 shorts i bought at the beginning of summer/my weight loss now are so big that I dont have to unbutton them to pull them off. So i'm now on the smallest setting with my belts, and they look ridiculous because theyre all cinched up and pleating. Shirts are baggy but most are manageable. Dresses are still fine they just hang looser.

But this weekend I had enough with the bras. Every time I laid on my side my boobs feel out! It was getting so annoying that I broke down and went to Victoria's Secret. I know you pay more for the brand, but seeing as I had NO idea what size I had become, it was worth it. (Even though I tried measuring myself, I wasn't sure I was doing it right.) Turns out I went from a 38B to a 34D...BIG difference! Let me tell you, making that change makes me not even care that the rest of my clothes don't fit! I just bought 2 multiway bras so I can hope to wear them under anything I need to, and with a coupon I had, it came to $75. Soooo it will be a while before I buy regular clothes anyway. When I do, I plan to go to Goodwill.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    Goodwill!!! After going from an 18-20w to my current misses 12........... I realized I could have saved a lot of money by going Goodwill or consignment shopping. It's expensive to buy new each time you drop a size!! When you get to goal weight THEN invest in nice new clothing. FYI.... Depending on how overweight you started.......your feet may shrink also.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.

Just when I culled out every 2X and 3X shirt and size 20+ from my closet...and amassed a cute wardrobe again, of 1X and 18 (75% from thrift shops like others have suggested above)...I'm needing XL and 16. The pants i wore to work today are in the phase of looking super cute for the first half of the day and pretty sagtastic and awful by 2 pm. sigh
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!

I've lost a lot & went through the same thing several months ago. Things were getting bigger, and bigger, but I kept putting off shopping. Then I ran out of things to wear. I tried everything on but everything was just way too big. And, to top it off, I could not find anything I liked in stores. lol... I was really freaking out for a while. I donated most & the best went to consignment.

I am picky and have better lucky buying new, deeply discounted, clearance clothes than I do at thrift stores. I don't wear anything that fit me when I started & some of the things I got after I'd lost some weight are getting too big. I'm taking my too-big clothes to consignment to help pay for smaller clothes.

Buying new bras will probably put me in the poorhouse though... So far I've been able to find good ones when they are on sale 50% off.

I am buying mostly layering pieces. You can wear tanks/tees & cardigans a bit small when you get them and continue wearing them until they are a size or more too big. I get a lot for under $10 and, so far, everything has been less than $20. I look for the deals and don't buy a lot at one time. Get enough to get by without going nuts.

Even my feet are shrinking & I will eventually have to replace all my shoes. One of these days they will start falling off my feet & I will have to buy some. Right now I am working on enjoying the shoes I have while I can. I will miss my wonderful shoes!
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Do you have platos closet or something similar? I usually take my old clothes and trade 'em in.

Also, have fun making a Christmas wishlist!
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Its such a weird feeling isn't it! My mid-waist work pants are sitting on my hips at the moment. I am happy I have lost weight but sad because I cannot afford anything new at the moment! Will make do with my baggy clothes until I can fund a new wardrobe! Until then !
  • ellantz8
    ellantz8 Posts: 619
    Options
    I can seriously relate! Just had to go shopping today. Since I'm no where near my goal weight yet I just bought one pair of pants for work and one pair of jeans. I can deal with shirts that are a little too big for now, but my pants falling off, not so cute. But honestly it was super fun trying on clothes and seeing how much better I looked in them! My 7 year old even told me I looked like a new woman! Good luck!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    every couple of months I go to a second hand store. If I can find stuff to fit me I get a couple and when those get to big I go back and get more. You don't have to wear clothing that is sizes to big for you. If the clothing like tops can be made smaller. I have done that a couple of times to my favas. I just put a piece of tape on the inseam and sow it. When that gets to big I just do it again. I'm 5-10 lbs. away from my goal weight and when I get there I will buy new. I sometimes go to this store called Giant Tiger they have liquidation racks. Some of the tops I own only cost me 2-5 dollars each. I get a size smaller so I will have something that fits me later. I used to be a XL and now I fit a small or med in tops.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Same here. I've lost 80 lbs, and everything is too big. I plan to get a new wardrobe when I reach my goal (10 - 15 lbs to go). In the meantime, I bought 1 pair of jeans in my new size. All other pants I use a belt to hold them up. For all of my shirts, I either wear them as is (baggy) or twist up the extra fabric (Example: http://www.wikihow.com/Tie-A-Shirt-To-Make-It-Tighter ). There are also many YouTube videos on how to make a shirt smaller.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    A good problem to have! I've used a combination of great sales and items from Goodwill or consignment shops. I picked up an $80 dress jacket for $10 that had never been worn, a really nice Eddie Bauer sweater for $4 and quite a few other great pieces. I've had to replace everything in my closet and was able to get some quality pieces at deep discounts for next spring and summer as well...$4 for a pair of slacks that were $48 and a nice basic black skirt for $4 that had been originally $36. Add in some nice scarves for $2-3 to dress things up and I'm all set! Love to shop now but I don't pay full price if I can help it!
  • cupcakegirl81
    cupcakegirl81 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Options
    Just got rid of a $40 bra today! It was so pretty and lined, but when I put it on, the cups literally folded in half. I could have fit an orange in each cup! :blushing: I hear your frustration!!!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Stop leaving the house.
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!

I'm actually in the same boat as you are I went from an AUS 16 and now a AUS 10 - 12. So my wardrobe is a range of sizes a lot of my favorite things look like I'm wearing a tent.

Have you looked into getting some of your things taken in? I'm going to do that with some of my dresses and skirts that i really like. Also things that you want to get rid of you could even sell online try to get together some funds to get a few new things.
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Pop some tags at the thrift store till you reach your goals! :) I was just there yesterday and got 2 pairs of shorts and a shirt for $12. All in perfect condition. Its not haute couture, but works for now until I'm at goal. I've found brand new clothes with tags still on before, and designer jeans. You never know what you might find :)
  • emitinpink
    emitinpink Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I seriously struggle with this everyday and it sucks because I'm in this brand new body and all my clothes fit like pjs. I know it sounds dumb to complain but sometimes I feel more uncomfortable now than when i was 35 pounds heavier which is funny. You should look at clearance items at target, sometimes they have things there for under 10 dollars. Sometimes I even get it if its too small because i know its such a good deal and i plan to lose more weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!