Five Ingredients or less

Options
MizTerry
MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
The holidays and pot lucks are upon us. I am looking for quick recipes using five ingredients or less that are tasty.

Replies

• jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options
    bump.
  • ingredsmith
    Options
    low cal dip:

roasted red pepper ( roast mine myself and use 2-3 bell peppers)
    can of chickpeas
    lemon juice
    hot sauce
    garlic seasoning or whatever seasonings you like

blend up until smooth and enjoy with fresh crisp veggies!
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    olive oil
    chicken
    garlic
    red chillies
    salt

chop chicken into bite sized pieces, marinate with half a tsp of olive oil, chopped/broken red chilly, minced garlic -2 and salt

heat a tbs of olive oil on a cast iron pan, add chicken and brown.

poke each piece with a tooth pick and serve with sauce/dip of choice.

you can use paprika or chilli powder instead of red chilly.
  • viperk1
    viperk1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oil - Olive/Coconut/etc
    Shrimp
    Tandoori spice

Mix shrimp and spice. Fry in oil. Serve.

These have always been a hit with the guests.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    My husband invented this dish last night, and I thought it was fantastic!

Butternut Squash Sausage with Penne Pasta

Butternut squash
    chicken apple sausage
    penne pasta
    olive oil
    Italian seasonings
    grated Parmesan cheese

Peel and cube squash and sautee in olive oil until tender. Remove casing from sausage and crumble into pan with squash, cook until brown. Toss with cooked pasta, Italian seasoning, salt pepper to taste, top with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Ended up being about 500 cals per serving. BAM.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Avocado-diced
    Shrimp-diced
    Mayo- as much as you prefer/season as well
    Crackers- whatever kind you love
    Cheese-if you want

Can have this on a cracker, english muffin or just by itself!! so GOOD

all you do is make sure the shrimp is already cooked or get raw and cook yourself and let it cool, then mix it all together and enjoy!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I did one the other day using cheap mac and cheese, canned chicken, and mixed veggies. It was a hit. :D
  • GardeningZombie
    GardeningZombie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Steamed Pumpkin
    Chicken Broth
    Heavy Cream -- Necessary to give it the right feel, but still won't overload the dish.
    S&P
    Cumin

Puree the Steamed pumpkin, mixing with the cream. I'd probably go with a 2:1 Ratio by volume. Then add in simmering chicken broth, stirring well until it's just a little thinner than you want. Simmer for about 20 minutes, seasoning to your taste. So hearty, and yet deliciously low cal. Lots of vit. A and potassium too!

Pumpkins and squash puree is really my go to right now, with 49 kcal per cup! With chicken broth being equally low calorie, the heavy cream should not be passed up!. With a ratio of 2c pumpkin, 1c cream, 2c broth, you are looking at a delicious soup for... 110 calories!
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    today i topped a store bought pizza crust with veggie chicken and broccoli tossed in a bit of leftover pesto and a few ounces of good shredded cheese. 315 calories for 2 slices. normally i would eat it with a salad too but i was out of salad makings.

can of black beans + can of refried beans + cup of salsa + vegetable stock and spices = pretty much the easiest black bean soup in existence.

i sometimes make an italian "meat" sauce with vegetarian hamburger mixed with store bought marinara and filled zucchini halves with it. top with cheese and broil until brown and bubbly. nice with a salad and works well in a spaghetti squash.

pretty much any stir-fry is potentially low on ingredients if you're not making the sauce yourself. get a bag of pre-cut veggies, cook the protein of your choice, and toss with sauce.
  • Sadie1000
    Options
    Diced pork
    Chopped aubergine
    1 star anise
    Some soy sauce
    Oyster sauce

Just add them to the pan, cover and cook probably for a good 30 mins - if you want add onion, garlic, chilli etc.

Depending on how many calories you have to play with you can add some carbs.

Remember to throw the star anise away before you tuck in though!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    low cal dip:

can of chickpeas
    lemon juice
    hot sauce

This sounds great. I think I will make it this weekend and maybe add in some spinach and kale.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    low cal dip:

can of chickpeas
    lemon juice
    hot sauce

In for the dip, sounds yummy!
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    roll out a can of crescent rolls or canned pizza crust into a cookie sheet and press to edge. bake til golden brown
    mix a block of cream cheese with a ranch dressing dry mix, spread over cooled crust

top with any mixture of:

chopped peppers
    tomato
    bacon bits
    cheese
    black olives
    red onion

cut in to squares. So good!
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    got this recipe of The Chew and it is my new favorite.

Hazelnut crusted Cod.
    I had a small piece of cod - about 1/3 lb. so adjust accordingly
    Take handful of hazelnuts, roast in oven about 3 minutes, then rub between towels to remove skin, pulse in food processor until coarsely ground. Add to a handful of seasoned panko bread crumbs.
    Create your dipping station w/seasoned flour and beaten egg (if vegan use almond milk), Pat the fish dry. You can cook whole or cut into serving pieces. Coat the fish then let sit for 5 min. for coating to set.
    Heat shallow amount of veg oil to fry the fish - not too hot as you don't want to scortch the nuts.
    Shallow fry about 2 minutes each side depending on thickness of your fish.

Seriously, outrageously delish. The Chew actually used veal, but I don't eat veal, but I can see this also with pounded chicken breast or thigh.

Served w/salad of thinly sliced apples, wafter thin fennel and purple onion, dressed w/lemon viniagrette and 2 TBSPS. roasted hazelnuts. WOW!! Whole dinner took about 15 min to make.

Luckily we live in Boston and can get WICKED, local fresh cod.:flowerforyou:
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I made this last night for our dinner and it was fantastic!! It was so simple to make and we have a lot of leftovers so will make good lunch. I am thinking it would even be good over some rice. I sliced up apples for our side.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/shredded-french-dip
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    2 EZ dips that are always a hit

Warm Tuscan Bean Dip

saute 1/2 diced onion and 1-3 garlic cloves (I loves my garlic) w/a spring of fresh rosemary to which you've remove the leaves from the tough stem in 2 TBSP olive oil

put a can of cannellini beans that you've drained and rinsed into a food processor and blend till smooth, add to pan and warm adding salt and pepper to taste. Add more olive oil if too stiff. Serve w/lentil crackers (my new fav cause they are packed w/protein and gluten free) or cut veg.

Black-eyed pea dip

saute 1/2 diced onion and 1-3 garlic cloves in olive oil, add can of drained, rinsed black-eyed peas and mash some of them w/potato masher or fork to create some creaminess, add can of Rotel tomatoes (I use the hot ones cause I like the spice, but they also make a mild one). Warm thru and serve warm. Serve w/crackers or cut veg. I also use this as a burrito filling for Meatless Monday dinner, stuff w/lettuce, avocado and LF sour cream. Even my meat loving hubby likes them AND it is a Southern tradition to serve black-eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck through-out the year. This was the ONLY way I could get the hubby or son to eat black-eyed peas. Bonus - TONS of fiber.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    Diced pork
    Chopped aubergine
    1 star anise
    Some soy sauce
    Oyster sauce

Just add them to the pan, cover and cook probably for a good 30 mins - if you want add onion, garlic, chilli etc.

Depending on how many calories you have to play with you can add some carbs.

Remember to throw the star anise away before you tuck in though!

I've done this one w/o the pork for a Meatless Monday dinner or a side dish to all kinds of dinners - especially in August and Sept. when I'm over run with eggplant.
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    Mashed sweet potatoes:

sweet potatoes
    butter
    buttermilk
    brown sugar, just a bit
    cardamom

Cube the sweet potatoes and boil them for about 10 minutes or until tender. Add the other stuff and salt & pepper to taste and mash.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    Almost forgot my all time holiday pie.

1 block silken tofu
    1 bag dark chocolate chips
    1 graham or cookie crust

melt chocolate chips in microwave or over double boiler, cool to room temp, pour into blender w/silken tofu and blend to smooth, pour into crust and refrigerate to firm 2-4 hours. NO ONE guesses it is tofu. Courtesy of Alton Brown.:glasses: