Getting Organized (single parents/college students)

Options
I think my lack of organization and lack of free time is my biggest obstacle to overcome my weight problem. The majority of my spare time is spent on studying/projects/reading. I do good for awhile, then I get behind and before I know it, I haven't logged my food, haven't cooked my meals at home or have the healthy foods available at home, and didn't make time to exercise. The stress invades and the pounds come back b/c I temporarily give up. Then, when the stress (deadlines) is reduced, I seem to try to get back on track.

I'm hoping there are some MFP members that are current or previous college students that can give me advice on how they were able to balance everything and continue to lose weight? I work full time (8-5) and I have a 11 yr old daughter that requires a lot of my time enforcing her to do her homework, turn in missing assignments, do any chores, etc. Her father lives in another state so I no longer have the "every other weekend" break that I had for the past 3 years while I was taking online college classes.

I hear people say, that they tire of hearing people say they don't have time to exercise or have the money to eat healthy. I truly feel that I live that life, and would welcome anyone to live my life so they can truly understand why people feel that way. I just wanted to see if anyone, living in a hectic schedule, has found a solution that may help me become more organized with the free time I do have. I'm sure there are other ladies that have it more hectic that may have some good advice; your positive suggestions would really be appreciated!

Replies

• boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    i have a hectic life and I look forward to the organized people responding. Not to mention everything around me seems cluttered. Which means a cluttered mind too. When it gets overwhelming I shut down which makes it worse.

I cant wait to hear the responses.
  • abbiez
    abbiez Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to read responses either !
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Boy I hear you!!! I work full time, am a full time student and have 2 kids, 9 and 3. Although I am married my hubby is a cop and is rarely home.

I have my daughter do her homework with me, at least I can get 30 minutes of homework in.

I put my keys in my gym bag and leave it in the gym here at work so I am forced to go to the gym before I go home.

I have literally had to just make time to work out. Is there after school care that can help with homework or even in watching your daughter so you can get in a quick 30 minute workout?

DVDs are great and you can even ask your daughter to join you. It can be a mother daughter thing to do.

I hear your pain though, Stick with it -- you can do it.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm in school full time, have an almost 4 year old son, a husband with a disability, etc. All those things that make us "too busy" too.

I plan meals a month at a time. I pre-cook and freeze as much as I can so I only have to add something small (if at all) to things. I bake pounds of chicken at one time and do individual packages so they are easy to grab and thaw.

I make a schedule. I put my son to bed, then I exercise for 30 min 5-6 nights a week at home in my own basement. Then I spent 2-3 hours on my homework several nights a week. I'm in school to be an RN and I currently have 4 classes (three online, one on campus). I find if I don't schedule my exercise into my daily routine like I would school, or other appts I skip it. I have no choice but to DO it if it's in my calendar.

If I can I change my exercise time so my son is with me and he does routines with me and thinks it's a blast. Getting the kid(s) involved helps!

It comes down to a choice. Rarely do people truly not have the time do do what they need to.
  • blackfootmom
    Options
    Well, I'm not terribly organized by most standards, and I've just started MFP, so I hope this doesn't make my suggestion count for less. What has worked for me in the past, and what I am starting to do again is to place a small spiral notebook right next to the kitchen sink. Nearly every bite that goes into my mouth happens right there. Put one anywhere you are likely to be when you eat (in your purse for the away-from-home times, top desk drawer if you eat at your desk). Even if you don't get all your food items entered on the day you eat them, if you can get them entered within a few days, you will still have a good idea of what your eating has included. Daily weights can fluctuate no matter what you are eating - it's the results that happen over the longer term that are the ones that count most. So even if you are a day or two behind in your data management, as long as you have written down what you ate, you can get it logged and into your calculations. You will still be training yourself to pay attention to what is going into your mouth, and that's what really matters!

Also, that is part of what I do when my son is doing his homework - MY homework is my journal, and whatever other paperwork I need to do. So I get my homework done and I'm right there to redirect him (again, and again, and again....)
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    First I think you need to realize that the weight loss thing can't be all or nothing - we all get extremely stressed with different things and we get off track, so I know it's tough when things creep up and you don't log your food for a day or two or you can't exercise, but what's important is that you do what you can when you can. What's most important is you keeping yourself well and your daughter well.

How much sleep are you getting? That should be number one on your list... even if you don't have a ton of free time, sleep and rest are crucial to not only feeling great but losing weight, as well.

Next - for me, figuring out my priorities helped me lose the weight. I did a lot of research on food and where it comes from and what I'm actually putting in to my body. That combined with being an active college student did the trick for about 22 pounds, though lately I've kind of been plateauing, but I feel great and that's what matters. I would recommend taking a day and figuring out how you spend your time. You sound like you're really in a tough situation - working that much, providing for a daughter, AND doing classes online... I'm busy but not THAT busy and definitely don't have that much responsibility. I make lists. I make to do lists, I make lists about my goals, I make lists of what homework I have, appointments to schedule... it needs to be set out more logically otherwise my emotions often overwhelm me. I also have learned to say 'no' to doing certain things. Now it seems that you probably can't do that... you have a lot of high priority stuff to attend to 24/7, which is a vicious cycle. Eating well and living well takes a lot of time and attention, and though it SHOULD be a high priority, it gets pushed back because you're concerned with actually getting the money to pay for eating and living well... it would happen to me too if I were in that situation, I'm sure. Yay capitalism...

What you must try and do is what you can. If you have the energy, go for a walk or a quick jog if you've got 15 minutes. If you have bad options for breakfast, perhaps try just eating half a portion of something, slowly, so you savor it and you fill up. Drink a lot of water... maybe invest in a filter pitcher if you don't have filtered water that comes out of your fridge.

What kind of budget are you on? I'm not a single mom, but I am a very fortunate college student, fortunate enough to have gotten scholarships as well as having no siblings and parents who really saved up to help me out with tuition. There are healthy alternatives to the cheap crap, but it is a little more pricey depending on what you buy, no doubt about it. Buy seasonal veggies and fruit if you can... it will be cheaper. Also try buying in bulk - if you have a Costco or something around... if you go there often enough its definitely worth it. They have greek yogurt in bulk, fruit and veg, all that stuff... the catch is just that you have to get a lot at one time.

As far as exercise, I budget my time so that I can get my work done, or most of it, the night before and wake up early to run or go to the gym or do Tai Chi or whatever for an hour tops (at least for now an hour tops, on weekends I can do a bit more if I need to or want to). I don't want to go overboard, but I like to get in that time to exercise because I feel good and I can clear my head. I highly suggest running - though shoes can be pricey, it's a pretty cheap thing to take up. It's hard at first, but it really does get easier with time. All you really need for winter is a pair of leggings, some warm socks, your workout shirt and possibly just a fleece or sweatshirt to keep warmish, gloves/ear protection if it gets really bitter cold... investing in a good pair of shoes and/or thermal leggings goes a long way if you keep up with it. You can find good stuff online for pretty cheap... I got a pair of motion control shoes for less than 60$ when they originally went for 80$. It's not much, but it's something.

I'm not sure whether or not that helped... but feel free to add me as a friend.. I often post stuff about my life on my blog so maybe you can gather a pointer from there? I wish you the best of luck.
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well I am not a parent, but I am a college student who works full time, and I consider myself pretty organized. I guess the key for me is to multi-task. I have a set exercise schedule with my personal trainer Monday-Thursday and Saturday. The time that I spend at the gym is set in my schedule just like work or class...there is no altering it. The multi-tasking comes in play after I leave the gym. While I am cooking I study, read, or do my class assignments. Also I plan my meals in advance. While I am cooking dinner for that night I also cook lunch for the next day. In the morning breakfast is easy, I put turkey bacon or smoked turkey sausage in the oven while I am getting ready for work (sometimes I hard boil an egg as well). Ten minutes before it is time for me to leave the house I quickly scramble an egg (if I haven't hard boiled one) and I pack my lunch along with fruit ,water, and low cal snacks to last me throughout the day. Again, I do not have children so I am sure this would not work out as smoothly for you, but I am sure you can develop some plan to incorporate cooking at home and exercise into your daily schedule. Good luck and congratulations on the weight you have already lost!!!
  • sapphireeyze
    Options
    Hi everyone, well I am one of those single parents that has 2 full time jobs and a 3 1/2 yr old. My ex lives in another state as well and so I only get a break every 3 to 4 months. I live on my own and sometimes bills, housework, planning for the next day plus all of my studying and research seems over whelming at best.

But I do balance it by going through my apt once a month and anything I dont need, touched or wore in the last 6 months goes into a donation box for charity or consignment. The less clutter you have the less pressure you will feel, freeing up your mind to put yourself 1st. I do a little cleaning everyday.....like on Mondays I do vacuuming, Tuesdays the bathroom, Sat is laundry day, etc.....So everything stays well clean since it is just the 2 of us. I know my daughter is young but I put her in "charge" of certain details and she feels a sense of accomplishment and the pocket change I give her makes her feel that what she does is valued everytime she hears the jinggling of the coins going into her piggy bank.

Having a visual calendar on a wall helps scheduling as well so that both me and my daughter can see where we need to be each day and makes planning the week easier. As for meals I make a big pot of spaghetti sauce loaded with veggi's and I roast a chicken for the week, I do quick meals like chicken wraps, english muffin pizzas or I throw chicken in the crock pot and usually i can make 2 or 3 dinners out of everything. Plus once a week I take my daughter to Subway for dinner. It is way healthier that McDonalds or any other fast food dive out there.

Try not to over focus things. Just do the best you can for that day! Each day will have its own anxiety and by you worrying about the next day before it has come.......it doesnt really add anything to your life, it just takes away your valuable time and energy! Remember that you are human and being a woman in particular we have the weight of the world on our shoulders. Take one day at a time and remember that it is ok if something doesnt get done.......the world will not self destruct if laundry doesnt get done and put away! :)

These are just a few things that I do on a daily basis to help get me through! I hope I didnt type everyone's ear off......hahaha

~ L
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am not a single mom anymore (I was for 4 years), but my husband is in the military and is gone a lot and when he's home he works at least 2 nights a week. As much as it sucks...you have to schedule everything. Litterally every moment of everyday...That's the only way I stay sain and actually i get a little stir crazy (ok ok, a LOT stir crazy) on days that i don't have them planned out in advance. Here is my normal day:

5:30am - wake up and walk for 45 min (sometimes if i don't feel like walking i would just sleep until 6:30am)

6:30-7 - shower, get ready, get my 5year old up (he dresses himself as long as i'm constantly yelling "ARE YOU DRESSED YET")

7-730 - breakfast and lunch packing
    - i've given up on sitting down for breakfast. Oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, toaster scramblers etc are easy to eat while doing other things (like making sandwiches, wraps, salads etc) I pack my son healthy stuff so a lot of times we end up eating the same thing (unles i pack a lean cuisine or something like that) healthy choice has some yummy soups too that are easy to throw in a lunch box. Snacks are usually raw fruit or veggies, cottage cheese, yogurt, string cheese something around 75-100calories and i pack a morning AND afternoon snack.

8-430 I'm at work: First thing i do when i get to work in the morning is log ALL my food for the day. It helps for me to know when/what i'm eating next as well as keeps me honest, if i didn't log it then i can't have it, or i know how many calories i ahve left after i've logged all i PLANNED to eat so if i have a fwe leftover I know i can eat a sugarfree pudding cup, or a cookie or something after dinner!

5pm home (and assuming we don't have soccer practice or church group) I start dinner. I try to make it simple but yummy. Baked chicken/fish with like stuffing/rice (portioned out correctly isn't too bad for you) and a veggie (canned corn, steamed beans or asparagus, frozen peas etc). Also a GOD SEND is the crock pot! There is actually a forum on here for healthy crockpot dishes that you can start in the AM and it's done when you get home.

Then I sit down at the dinner table with my son while he's working on HW (so i can make sure he's not rushing through or skipping stuff) and I do my own HW. I do a lot of reading/studying AT my son's soccer practice too.

7pm is bath time for my son so I work on HW while he's playing in the bath. Then 745 is brush teeth and book time and he's in bed at 8. I don't know how late your child stays up but i am lucky that he goes to bed early bc then i can have ultimate concentration to take a test or work on a project or just read/study.

10pm (or earlier if i get done with whatever i was working on) is bed time.

My work outs generally consist of walking in the morning and I do a Zumba class on Wed while my son is at a church group. Most of my weight loss has been due to portion control and good food choices.

I DVR a lot of my TV shows and watch them on the non-busy nights or weekends when i'm relaxing.

I hope this helps!
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    :ohwell: I have this problem too!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I jokingly call figuring out my schedule, "tetris scheduling". I have two jobs, three children, a spouse, am the leader of a guild of 300+ people, two websites to manage, and 3 pets. I also love to bake, and I sew and make jewelry, as well as play keyboard and sing.

My 15yr old has frequent orthodontist appointments and a busy social life, my 5yr old has dance/swim/soccor classes. My son is now a young man, but he often comes to me for advice. My partner works 6 days a week and has a hobby meeting on the 7th. I work full time 8-5 in an office, and come home and handle a private client from there (15+ hrs per week). My guild gets together 3x a week, but I only attend 2x. I work out 3x a week at the YMC. So how do I do it?

I have a family planner called A Busybody Book. Reminders, appointments, deadlines, goals, thoughts to followup on, etc. are all in there-for the whole family. It has pockets to put bills to pay, addresses, receipts, etc. into.

I help with homework while I'm cooking dinner.

We keep an ongoing list of things we've run out of. I do the marketing once a week, on Fridays after work. If something gets missed, we do without. I've also done it on Saturdays, but found the markets are less crowded on Fridays.

I do my 2nd job in the evenings Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu. Sometimes, it carries over to the weekend.

Thu is dance class right now. I leave work 30 mins early and work out before hand. My D5 goes into the YMCA playroom while I do.I also work out on Tue and early Saturday mornings before my partner goes to his hobby meeting. I have my own weighbench and lift on my off nights as well.

Wednesday night is family cleaning night. We have lists of chores which rotate through the family, turn on the stereo and no one quits until their work is done.

Bath and story and bedtime are between 8:30 and 9 every night. Afterwards, I work on 2nd job or engage in activities with my game guild.

At 11 pm, I stop all activities and relax, either watching TV or bed.

Weekends, I reserve for work I haven't handled yet and hobbies and time with my partner/children.

It's not easy and I'm having a hell of a time losing weight with all the stress and limitations, but I'm trying At least we're eating a thousand times healthier!!
  • klaflamme
    klaflamme Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the replies – it has helped! After brainstorming ideas most of the day, and reading the replies to my post, I decided that I have to keep to a tighter schedule.

Here’s my plan to become more organized:

• Add an “event” reminder to my Cell Phone
    - Cleaning tasks per each day (Fri laundry, Tues vacuuming, etc) – thx for this tip!
    - 10-15 min Appt with myself to go over my weight loss goals (during break at work)
    - Pre log my food for the next day (During lunch break, I can do this on my cell phone)
    - After work - Friday mini-grocery run (stock up on healthy foods for the weekend)
    - Pay Bills Reminder on the 1st and 15th!
    - College Assignments or Goals

• Treadmill workout for 30 mins (Mon – Thurs at 5:30 am)

• Every other day, I get off at 4 pm. On those days, I plan to use 1.5 hrs to read my government chapters while my daughter is at the after school program.

• Mon – Tues (fit an hour or two of study time in)

• Wed (7:30 pm Heights Band rehearsal) - limited time after work

• Thurs (7:00 pm Life Group) - limited time after work

• Friday (go to bed early, wake up early Sat morning)

• Saturday morning, get an early start on homework/studying before kiddo wakes up. Set goals for each assignment to keep focused on a desirable finish time. Find Crockpot recipes to do Saturday morning so there is plenty of food available over the weekend – less time in the kitchen. Take a mid-day break; go for a walk with kiddo.

• Sunday (hope to make time to attend church) Spend time studying (ditto on Saturday)

• Overall, limit my time on Facebook, a quick in and out on MFP.com, and same goes with just computer use in general.
    I think I will see if my daughter can spend the night with her best friend this coming weekend to help me free up some more time.

My attempt to resolve the issue with daughter’s missing assignments:

I told my daughter today that school no longer ends at 9th period. She will report to me (10th period) and provide me with her homework assignments and her graded papers for my review – within 5 minutes of returning home. This will start tomorrow.
    To help her with this, I went to Wal-Mart and bought her a bright orange folder which I labeled, “Homework Folder,” and another folder labeled, “Graded Work.” I think this will help her organize her papers so she doesn’t miss any misplace or forget about anymore homework assignments. She’s been coming home with all her papers scattered in her backpack or binders– she has been diagnosed with ADD. Sometimes, I feel like I have it, too!
  • kjmckenzie
    Options
    I would combine two things and spend your time with your daughter cooking healthy meals and doing active activities together, it is good to get your kids involved in a healthy lifestyle from early on and then you are spending quality time together as well. People with ADD benefit from tons of exercise. Also, my husband had very bad ADD and his symptoms are pretty much non existent from going on a gluten free and casein free diet. Good luck!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you, as my kids are young and nap daily still and I'm a stay at home mom (though my DH is gone right now, military). I just wanted to say you CAN do this!! Don't give up!