First 5K Run

Options
I just ran my 5K on the weekend and am feeling very discouraged. I normally workout 3-4 times a week doing cardio such as the stair master, trx classes, and spin classes. I never imagined running a 5K would be so difficult. I was so upset when I found out I ran it in 40 minutes, as I thought I would do alot better. I am thinking about doing the couch to 5 k program, has anyone ever done this before? I just want to know how effective/attainable it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• tirola
    tirola Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running your first 5k!! Regardless of the time, you did it, so enjoy that accomplishment and don't get discouraged! Running is a whole different animal compared to other cardio. It definitely helps to have a decent cardio base, but starting to run can definitely be a challenge. I'm not an expert by any means (I've only been running regularly since July) but couch to 5k is a great place to start. I ran my first 5k in July and did it in 45:37 minutes (so when I say ran, I mean a really slow jog/walk!). I stuck with it and started running 3-4 times/week. Not very far or fast at first. Gradually built up and am now running an average of 10-12 miles/week...not a huge amount but I also do bootcamp 3 days/week so that impacts my running. I ran 3.1 miles on Saturday in 35:12...10 minutes faster than my very first 5k. I know there are plenty of people who run it way faster than I do, but as long as I'm improving, I'm happy!

Sorry for being long winded, but in summary, stick with it because it will (or should!) eventually get easier! Don't get discouraged if you have to run slower than you think you should be running. As I started running more, my pace improved without me even really trying. Good luck to you!
  • farida1960
    farida1960 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you did so much better that I did and I was so happy.you will get better ,I started Couch to 5 k this week and hoping to run another 5 k in December ,either way I will be happy.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Be proud of yourself that you did it at all. While you were out running that 5k, many others are still sitting on the couch complaining about how they feel instead of doing something.

I starting running last year and was only doing 2 miles in 25 minutes. I was happy to be doing 2 miles. I finally pushed to doing 3-4 miles and was seeing 36-45 minutes. Now I regularly run 5k in 25 minutes as part of my cardio workouts.. Just completed a timed race in Atlantic City 2 weeks ago and broke the 23 minute mark. I just takes patience and the desire to improve even if it's at a slow pace. One day at a time.
  • blueheron83
    blueheron83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Don't let the time discourage you especially if this was your first 5K. You only have to compete against yourself so next focus on doing better than you did this time.

I would highly recommend the couch to 5K. That's how I started running a few years ago and it helped me get through my first 5K. I felt the same way afterwards about how hard it was but I kept going. Soon I was running 5Ks and started working up in distance. I actually went all the way up to a full marathon in 2012. The program is great for helping you build up and get stronger.

Another thing I would recommend is to use an interval method of running. When I run I usually do 2 minutes running/ 1 minute walking. Of course you can change this interval to better fit where you are and build from there but it can really help you.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 1st 5K!!!! And don't worry about that time - I think it's a great time! My time was 41:47, and that was about 3 mins or so better that what I planned I would do it in.

I've not done the C25K, looked it over, but I've just done my own thing. I have heard a lot of good things about the "Zombies, Run!" App though. If that will help motivate you, you might want to check that out. I've actually been thinking about that for me, but I kinda like listening to my music & letting my mind "wander" - I call it my "me time"! lol

Just don't give up - like Rezn8 said, you did that 3.1 miles 40 mins faster than a whole slew of people! Keep going!!!!!
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on completing your first 5K! There really isn't anything you should feel disappointed about. Finishing in 40-or-so minutes is fine for the first time out. It's hard to get a sense of where you "should" be until you've run a few races of varying lengths. Even then, there are all sorts of factors that will affect how quickly you finish.

I don't have any experience with Couch-to-5K, but I have used intervals in training and do use them in races. Ten years ago, I stopped running because I was having a lot of knee pain. When I got back into it this summer, I used intervals and tried to gradually build up to longer run intervals.

It sounds like you are in pretty good cardio shape already, so you may see improvements faster than someone really doing this from couch (totally sedentary lifestyle) to 5K. Good luck!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Remember, people that run a 20 minute 5k and a 40 minute 5k run the same distance.
  • kanamade
    Options
    No experience with the program, but I'm sure you will drastically improve if you keep up your training. Good luck!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Wait, you ran a 5k without doing any run training? Its amazing that you got across the line! Seriously, don't be hard on yourself. Imagine what you can do with training!

Though I should add that if you can run a 5k already (taking into account that you aren't in horrible pain this week), Couch to 5k may be too elementary for you. Try jogging 3 miles a few times a week, then slowly increase distance.

The way to get faster at a 5k is to train for a 10k, after all.
  • maximumarx
    Options
    Thank goodness someone else finds it hard i did my first 5k last week and did it in 40.11 im doing the parkrun saturday mornings
    today i did the 5k but walked about 10 steps and told to pick my feet so i did and made it in 38 something i wish it wasnt so hard i think for me it maybe that im couple of stone overweight i believe 12st to be my ceiling and must not go over that and im half a stone heavier that now and only 5f so here goes lets keep it up.:smile:
  • elizabethmassie1
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 5K! I did my first 5K last week. It was also small, like 30 people, and I came in DEAD LAST at 49:11. I was a little embarrassed, but then I thought at least I lapped everyone sitting on the couch. Don't get discouraged. Keep at it! :-) You'll do better with each 5K that you do.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on doing it:flowerforyou:
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Running is hard. Running fast takes a lot of training. A lot. Keep at it and don't give up. Lots of good training plans on the web. I didn't care for the couch to 5k but I've seen it work for others. I always encourage people to add cycling to there routine as I believe it helped me.

I was a fat smoker 18 months ago and today ran a 21:17 5k at age 42. If I can do it so can you. Just be prepared to work hard and overcome adversity.
  • brittgood90
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your comments! My aunt asked me to do another 5K with her this coming weekend. My first thought is there is no way that I'm doing that again. But I thought about it some more and I realized I just need to beat my previous time. I think the last time I did it i had too high expectations and started out using all my energy at the beginning. I'm thinking about doing this one in intervals. Maybe jog two minutes and walk one minute. What are your thoughts on this?
  • elizabethmassie1
    Options
    Good for you! You need to do another one! Don't worry about anyone else, just worry about beating your time. I did another 5K this past Sunday (they were a week and a day apart) and I ended up beating my time in 6 minutes. You can beat your time! Just know that's what you are there to do.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm using the "Get Running" app and highly recommend it. I've signed up for my 1st 5k in December and my goal is just to run the whole thing, no walking. You've already passed that hurdle, congratulations! Each subsequent race will get easier & easier and I'm sure you'll start seeing your speed increase quickly.