Gaining weight on Atkins

Options
So I decided to try Atkins. Today is day 2 and I have gained 3 lbs!, I quit this one is not for me....did I do something wrong to gain I have eaten waaaay more neat than normal

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Lots of people gain weight on Aktins/LowCarb - it is *very* easy to overeat.
  • atbur
    atbur Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm not sure if 2 days is enough time to know.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    So I decided to try Atkins. Today is day 2 and I have gained 3 lbs!, I quit this one is not for me....did I do something wrong to gain I have eaten waaaay more neat than normal

Giving up after 2 days, because you've gained 3 pounds ?
    People's weight fluctuates 3 to 5 pounds per day, sometimes even more.

The questions to ask yourself might be...
    Before 2 days of Atkins: How much did your weight typically fluctuate during the day ? and from day to day?

Weight fluctuation depends if:
    you've pooped
    you've peed
    Sodium consumption
    Water consumption
    Dehydration / sweat / working out
    Muscle rebuild / inflammation
    Hormone changes
    Please read : http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/expert.q.a/10/08/water.weight.fluctuates.jampolis/

• astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    yesterday you ate way over the amount of carbs that would get you into ketosis. today you have 700 quick add calories with 20 noted carbs..

in order for atkins to work you have to stay with in the 20 grams per day for induction ( to get you into ketosis) and you need to have your carbs severely restricted to stay in ketosis.

I don't even think you'd be IN ketosis yet.

atkins is a very strict diet. it works by actually changing the way your body processes energy. on a normal diet you store glucogens from carbs. on a ketosis diet you switch over to burning fat or alcohol ketones (not sure I got the terms right there) the only way to do that is to starve your body of carbs for a few days.

some of the symptoms is desiring a ton of water, dry mouth and peeing like a race horse. you'll be goign thru your stored glucogens, which is why you lose so much weight in the beginning. they store with water. as your body uses them it dumps the water. If you were in ketosis you'd have lost a ton of water weight right away.

so basically you need to be a lot more strict and weigh your food and LOG EVERYTHING for this diet to work.

Otherwise you're taking in a lot more fat than you'd be doing other wise and it's going to get stored. It becomes a very bad diet if not done strictly. :)
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I would ask what you ate in the days before yesterday. If today is only the second day you could not have eaten enough yesterday to gain 3 pounds. I think that would be 10,500 calories OVER your daily needs.

And quitting on day 2 doesn't sound like you were very committed in the first place
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If today is only the second day you could not have eaten enough yesterday to gain 3 pounds. I think that would be 10,500 calories OVER your daily needs.

And quitting on day 2 doesn't sound like you were very committed in the first place

this .

There is no magic pill that happens overnite, folks.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just curious--why are you doing Atkins?

Why not just eat a balance of healthy foods and eat at a calorie deficit?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

cuz like isn't this what like all the cool kids are like doing?
  • kaylanlynnNW
    kaylanlynnNW Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Why not just eat a balance of healthy foods and eat at a calorie deficit?
    My sis in law had great success...but I think I really wasn't too committed...it was a mental fight bc I craved more sugar knowing I couldn't have it...I know that is weird
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You had over 100g of carbs yesterday, so it looks like today is actually day 1 of Atkins. And 3lb is well within normal weight fluctuation. I'm sorry but you can't blame a diet you didn't even adhere to for 3lbs of weight gain after 1 day.

I'm all for eating a healthy balance and not restricting certain foods just for the sake of weight loss, but if you're going to go low carb, then you have to actually GO low carb and give it time to work.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    you'll be goign thru your stored glycogens...

That is such a bad idea...
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    you'll be goign thru your stored glycogens...

That is such a bad idea...

It really isn't a bad idea. it works well for some and not so well for others. It is a very good way to lose weight actually. It just requires a different eating pattern than normal.