Why can't I push myself?

Options
When I exercise alone I can't seem to push myself! Like I will stop halfway through the exercises and take a break them start up a little again! When I go to the gym I can push myself but since I don't have my gym membership any more I have to exercise at home to insanity but I just can't seem to push self!

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If you're following a DVD or youtube, try to keep up.

That does wonders for me.
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you're following a DVD or youtube, try to keep up.

That does wonders for me.

^^This

Youtube a pump/step/yoga/aerobics class anything really then filter the search results to 20+ minutes. 9 times out of 10 you find a full length class.

Also hit up youtube for a couple motivation videos to get really arc'd up for you workout
  • haleycreations
    haleycreations Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Robert and I have had the same problems in the past. I have completed P90X, Insanity, Body Beast and Les Mills Combat and I found it helps when I workout I have mirror in front of me. As in a gym you are surrounded by mirrors and others watching you, so the mirror helps me keep the same intensity while working out. Try this technique once and see how it helps your workout, I found it to be very helpful.
    Robert
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Robert and I have had the same problems in the past. I have completed P90X, Insanity, Body Beast and Les Mills Combat and I found it helps when I workout I have mirror in front of me. As in a gym you are surrounded by mirrors and others watching you, so the mirror helps me keep the same intensity while working out. Try this technique once and see how it helps your workout, I found it to be very helpful.
    Robert

^That's a great idea, I never thought of that!

Sometimes it's hard for me to stay motivated, but I just try to remind myself that I'm not gonna get the changes I want if I don't put in the work. It's way too easy to throw in the towel and crawl onto the couch, but it's way too hard to live with a body you don't like. Just remember you deserve to be happy and hard work will do that!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    when i am "afraid" i am going to chicken out, i run along a busy road instead of a secluded trail - too worried about looking wimpy if i don't keep going - unless i am exhausted for real...
    i don't do dvd's really, but with weights i am just too stubborn to quit, and regret it later :laugh:
  • zaraheron1
    Options
    when i am "afraid" i am going to chicken out, i run along a busy road instead of a secluded trail - too worried about looking wimpy if i don't keep going - unless i am exhausted for real...
    i don't do dvd's really, but with weights i am just too stubborn to quit, and regret it later :laugh:

That's exactly what I do! If i go where lots of people can see me running, i'm too embarassed to stop! If i'm running around a park/field or something, i'll have a little walk because I know nobody is watching!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, be honest with yourself. Have you committed to change? Really committed?

Don't mistake peer pressure with commitment. If you need other people around to work hard, you're just wanting to impress them, not meet a particular goal or objective.

Now, write out your primary objective (yes, physically write it down). Then, write out the specific things you'll have to do each day (action items) to meet that objective. Every morning, read this (out loud). Every evening, read it again and reflect on how you did that day. If you find yourself struggling at one of the action items, make a point of re-reading your objective right before you start that action item. This reminds you why you're doing it.

If you're committed to your primary objective, this should give you all the motivation to complete your workouts every time.
  • Lynda_91
    Options
    Actually I do workout with a mirror in front of me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's a mental thing. You have figure out what makes you push vs what makes you lazy. Some people push harder when others are watching. Some people need more constant reminders of why they are doing this in the first place. Some people just need to pause and make sure they are really committed to things.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I push myself harder in group classes than I do working out alone. I'm sure this is an individual thing, but not wanting to look like a quitter in front of other people works for me.
  • Muchmoretogive
    Muchmoretogive Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Maybe try ticking off your work outs on a calendar and have a mini goal if you complete or even get friends round whilst you work out increase the pressure so that you keep going and keep pushing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    because you don't care enough.

when you want it- you'll push for it.

I hate the idea of this sack of pathetic bones telling me to quit before I am done working out. It's my body. It's my *kitten*.

It does what I say.
    When I say
    how I say
    how hard I say.

no exceptions.

Till I give out- and physically collapse on the floor if I must. I do not take orders from my body- it takes orders from me. Anything else is weakness. Mental weakness- plain and simple.

You can be the one who gives in- or you can be the one whose better than you were yesterday.

it's nothing about your body- it's your brain. You have to make your brain tougher- it's what's failing you.