Doing everything right but gaining weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I agree 100 percent. Calories in, calories expended.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    ANOTHER thread where someone starts exercising, stops logging, gains weight, and can't understand why.

:laugh:
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Oh gosh this place can be demoralising.

I understand how disheartening it is to think you are doing everything right and get no reward for it :(.

Logging might help - and getting a body composition done.

But I do encourage you not to stop, you are making healthy life choice, and they should continue regardless of what the scale says.

Chin up xoxo
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    3252391-15-inch-faux-moss-log325239115inchfauxmosslog.JPG
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    3252391-15-inch-faux-moss-log325239115inchfauxmosslog.JPG

^^ perfect. Its likely you are gaining muscle, if your breasts are "not overflowing your bra" anymore they are shrinking, it indicates fat loss, and with "good" genetics for muscle gain you can have such an initial muscle and "muscle preparedness" (glycogen + water storage) gain. But, if you don't log each and every thing, and you didn't actually take your measurements, and you don't standardize the time of day/distance from meals/last elimination before you weigh in, you cant be certain of anything exactly. Plus I can't see what you are doing, what you ate, how big you are, what your strength gains are, etc etc and at that point it becomes pointless to analyze until you do what the poster above pictured. :)
  • Finesseme70
    Options
    The honest answer is simple. Muscle weighs more than fat. So you are toning, building lean muscle mass, and losing inches, but the scale won't start to tip noticeably for a another few weeks. Don't fret. The scale shouldn't be the judge, your eyes and the way your clothes fit is the best indication. I know it's frustrating to not see the scale move to the left, but if the button on your jeans is no longer digging into your stomach, and the ridge marks in your shoulders aren't as deep at the end of the day as they used to be then...count it all good.

I am someone who has had to struggle with the weight vs lean muscle mass issue my whole life. Even at a size 6 and perfectly tone, I weighed a 140 pounds so focus on how you look, how things fit and not the scale. Weighin yourself too much can derail the progress.

One last side note: I lost 35 pounds and the first 20 were EXTREMELY HARD FOUGHT...blood, sweat and tears...POUNDS!!! I'm sure people noticed but no one really said much. Then around month 3, the weigh just started dropping off like crazy and everyone kept commenting.."Have you lost weight?" I wanted to Scream.."where the hell have YOU been these past 3 months" But I realize that once that lean muscle mass was developed and my metabolism and eating habits had become more regulated...the workouts I was doing was melting the pounds like crazy!!!

Don't give up!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The honest answer is simple. Muscle weighs more than fat. So you are toning, building lean muscle mass, and losing inches, but the scale won't start to tip noticeably for a another few weeks. Don't fret. The scale shouldn't be the judge, your eyes and the way your clothes fit is the best indication. I know it's frustrating to not see the scale move to the left, but if the button on jeans is no longer digging into your stomach, and the ridge marks in your shoulders are as deep at the end of the day...count it all good.

I am someone who has had to struggle with the weight vs lean muscle mass issue my whole life. Even at a size 6 and perfectly tone, I weighed a 140 pounds so focus on how you look, how things fit and not the scale. Weighin yourself too much can derail the progress.

One last side note: I lost 35 pounds and the first 20 were EXTREMELY HARD FOUGHT...blood, sweat and tears...POUNDS!!! I'm sure people noticed but no one really said much. Then around month 3, the weigh just started dropping off like crazy and everyone kept commenting.."Have you lost weight?" I wanted to Scream.."where the hell have YOU been these past 3 months" But I realize that once that lean muscle mass was developed and my metabolism and eating habits had become more regulated...the workouts I was doing was melting the pounds like crazy!!!

Don't give up!!!

Um, no. Telling someone who has gained 3 lbs in a few weeks to just keep doing everything the same to lose weight... no.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    3 lbs can also be due to your menstrual cycle plus water stored in your muscles... I suggest tracking your cycle along with your weight and measurements.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I haven't been keeping a log of what I eat on here.....

^^this is your issue
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You did not gain muscle in 3 weeks.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You did not gain muscle in 3 weeks.

This^^^^

The OP gained 6.6 lbs.

Even if the OP had noob gainz, it wouldn't stall the scale out let alone raise it.....let alone 6.6lbs, especially doing mostly cardio.

It only took a page and a half for the muscle gain to come out.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    The honest answer is simple. Muscle weighs more than fat. So you are toning, building lean muscle mass, and losing inches, but the scale won't start to tip noticeably for a another few weeks. Don't fret. The scale shouldn't be the judge, your eyes and the way your clothes fit is the best indication. I know it's frustrating to not see the scale move to the left, but if the button on jeans is no longer digging into your stomach, and the ridge marks in your shoulders are as deep at the end of the day...count it all good.

Don't give up!!!

Um, no. Telling someone who has gained 3 lbs in a few weeks to just keep doing everything the same to lose weight... no.

3kg....actually 6 and a half pounds.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Don't give up!!!

Ah. Indeed!
    3kg....actually 6 and a half pounds.
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Don't give up!!!

I agree.

I'm sick of people saying muscle weighs more than fat and that's why a person gains weight. I mean, where's the logic in that?
  • UnicornRides
    Options
    Sounds like you're eating too much or not often enough and your body is retaining the fat. You should start losing weight (water weight, at least) if you're working out.

If you're not food logging or if you are eating badly, your body is probably stressing and, in the stress pattern, will actually hold the water weight and fats.

Start logging everything you eat to see. Sugars = fat. TOO much protein = fat. Too many calories = fat.
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I haven't been logging because I did that for several months earlier this year and as a result changed my eating habits. I didn't want to make 'logging' a lifestyle thing as I don't always have access to the internet. However I will take on board what most of you have said and do the log for a while to check again that what I eat is right. For the past three days I have achieved my goals and that's eating as 'normal'. I work on palm sized portions of protein, carbs and veg (I don't have kitchen scales and really am not in a position to buy any as I move around a lot). I rarely snack but if I do its on shelled sunflower seeds and apples. I am new to lifting weights but before I joined the gym I worked our regularly at home. At the moment I'm away from my home country and have been for just over a year. Before I left my home country I was an avid rock climber and my weight issues have been since I've not been able to find somewhere to climb or a climbing gym. I'm about a stone over what I want to be, I would feel happier being 9 stone rather than 10. I am in a healthy BMI range for my height apparently. Maybe I've hit a plateau or something....I dunno! I've hiked up my workouts significantly, it was just frustrating and a bit shocking to see such a big weight gain...so I vented spleen on the forum. It was nice to get all of your support...thanks.
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to do a quote but I agree with whoever said...

"Oh gosh this place can be demoralising."
  • a_crotty
    a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I joined a Gym on 27th September so I've officially being going 4 to 5 times a week for the last 3 and a half weeks. I've made leaps and bounds with my cardio (interval training) and strength training BUT I've put on weight - 3 kg!!!!!!! My boyfriend thinks (he's unsure) it looks like I've lost weight and I am visibly starting to show definition in my arms. I still measure the same apart from my boobs aren't overflowing my bra any more so WHAT THE F**@ has happened? I haven't been keeping a log of what I eat on here but I have been constantly consciously aware of it and have been very careful to eat clean. Yesterday I logged an average day and came in well below my calorie target. I've researched this weight gain thing and the only advise I have found is related to water retention in the first week of strength training. I'm well past the first week. This is so frustrating. I don't feel unwell in any other respect and I'm not pregnant. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advise?

STRESS! It plays a huge part in weight loss as I have just recently found, and sleep too. I for 3 months did everything RIGHT except sleep (only 2-4 hrs daily) and was stressed to the max, until I brokedown and almost went postal. I was put on Zoloft for stress management and slept off/on for 5 days (good sleep 7-8 hrs daily) and lost 5lbs, all while eating much more than normal.