Jillian Micheals or Insanity?

Options
Hello, I'm currently doing couch to 5k and some pilates videos but want to do more strength training but I'm not sure which program to pick.

I've heard good things about the 30 day shred, ripped in 30 and insanity, but was wondering which had the least focus on cardio and another factor is I live on the third floor of a house so don't want to be stomping around lots!

Let me know what you think and which ones you guys prefer :)
Thanks,
Ellen

Replies

• SandyQ229
    SandyQ229 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    insanity has lots of jumping and so does 30DS....not sure about others...
  • TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    JM would be good to start off with.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    30DS and Insanity are carido workouts, i dont know about ripped in 30 as i have never done it.
  • lovemuffin6
    Options
    Does anyone know of any other strength workouts that I could do at home which get good results?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of any other strength workouts that I could do at home which get good results?

starting strength or NROL
  • muneeh
    muneeh Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi dear I have done all of these. I live on the 5th floor and doing insanity aswell :P. You can do your workout on a carpet. Well if you haven't done any of the Jillian's workout before, you can try 30 day shred and it will definitely help you loose weight if you control your diet. Ripped in 30 are a little longer but basically both of them are more or less the same. And impact depends on how much you have to loose and ofcourse how much you cut your calories. Insanity, which I am doing is one level up of these and it is an extreme cardio workout plan for 60 days.
    When I did 30day shred for the first time it helped me loose 2 jeans sizes and a good 3 kg weight drop, then I continued with No more trouble zones by Jillian afterwards and reduced even more. I went to 118 pounds as I am 5,4'. Now I am doing insanity after having a baby as Jillian's both the workouts didnt help me much this time but that is because my body is used to of doing a lot of work.
  • Ally_93
    Ally_93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I recommend for starters the 30 day shread :) then when you get more strong and fit, do the 'Banish fat boost metabolism' workout. Goes for 45 mins. It's a killer but you will see results almost straight away!!
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I did fitnessblender videos for a while. Google it - theyre all free and have different lengths, types of exercises etc. I love them. After a while I decided to do the 30DS. I had good results with that and I liked having a program to follow, although I did get bored of each level after ten days of it! After that I moved to insanity. My fitness levels improved greatly and I lost some inches but not much weight. Maybe I was eating wrong I dont know but regardless Im glad my fitness improved.
    Now I am doing ripped in 30. I just started it on Monday but I am enjoying it. I am doing it each day as well as either a video or two from fitnessblender or JM shred it with weights.
    Add me if you want :)
  • AynzL
    AynzL Posts: 40
    Options
    I would also start with Jillian. Ripped in 30 is really good but challenging for strength. I agree I'd start with 30 day shred. I think you'd also really like Jackie Warner's 30 day fast start. She's got some good dvd's but the arm workout in that one is really good. I see it's on Amazon today for $7. Good luck!
  • Roxiesmother
    Options
    Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones is all strength training with no jumping around, so that might suit you.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've done JM's 30 Day Shred and JM Ripped in 30.... both are great!!! I have not done Insanity, so I cant compare them to that. Both JM's dvd's helped me alot!!! I have also done Jilian's Body Revolution, that is a awesome 12wk program!!! I am currently doing Zumba & ChaLean Extreme, almost done w/week 8 out of 12. I am loving it!!!
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Skip the exercise DVD's, which are mostly cardio, and do some body weight exercises like push-ups, sit-ups, dips (between two chairs), pull-ups, squats, lunges, etc. These are all free and once you can do a few sets of each you will notice a huge increase in strength. There are plenty of workouts designed with just these exercises but you are eventually going to have to incorporate some kind of progressive resistance. Starting out with body weight exercises will do more for strength than any of the DVD workouts.