Everything is too big on me! Awesome but frustrating?!

Options

Replies

• LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! But yes, it's incredibly annoying. I'm at the same point, I'm down over 30 pounds, and so many things don't fit. Luckily, I did save some of my favorite clothes in the 16-20 range, and most of those fit now (I was 26-28 when I started here in July). Also, I don't currently have a dress code, so it's OK if some days I look a little baggy.

Though I just ordered new bras in a smaller size (a thousand times yay!)

But I have a huge pile of clothes to go through and alter (those that are easily altered or those that I particularly like) or reconstruct (for the rest). So I guess I second whoever said, "learn to sew." It's super easy. And fun. And once you learn the basics, you can alter *all* of your clothes for the most flattering fit. You can get a cheap, functional machine for around $100. It might sound like a lot, but there's so much you can do with it. It will pay you back in no time.

Good luck, and congratulations again on getting to the too-big-clothes stage!
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Consign out your stuff with an upscale shop! The one I'm at gives you 40% and she charges $16 for most shirts/skirts, $20 for most dresses. She is able to charge more because she is very picky about quality and brands.

That will give you a little cash for more. A lot of consignment shops will also offer you 10% on top of your clothes if you buy from them.

My local Goodwill is a huge source for me. (find one in a posh area) I found a vintage Versace dress there a few weeks ago!
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I used to only have 1 pair of jeans at a time while losing and having to buy new bras all the time was really annoying too. For a while I kept going to VS but then I realized that Target was a better idea because they are cheaper and still pretty decent!

I was so happy when I got to my goal sizes, I ordered 5 pairs of jeans from American Eagle when they were having a pretty good sale online and I've gotten a lot of bras bc I have a VS credit card and they send really good coupons and now that I'm smaller, I can wear the cheaper bras so it's been a win-win!

but oh, I do not miss those days of growing out of everything. I still have a lot of too big workout clothes, but I'm looking forward to replacing them!

Check Ebay too. They sell VS catalog return bras for $6-10 (they call them NWT or NWOT - new with/without tags). Find out what size you're wearing in the various VS bras and then go shopping on Ebay. :)
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I like Old Navy. Their clothes are nice and you can find clothes for a good price. I am only buying a few things in my sizes because I am changing sizes ever couple months. No sense in me spending a ton of money on something I won't be in for long. JC Penney is also a good place to find clearance. I got a dress there for $4!!! Seriously. And a thrift store in a nice area will have name brand clothes. You do have to dig but it's def worth it.
    Someone should set up a place where you can recycle old clothes! Some kind of group or something like the mom to mom sales. I know some of my clothes from the summer I only wore a couple times and I know they won't fit next year!
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm having this exact problem! Last year I bought all of these nice new work shirts that were "smaller" so I could fit into them better. Then I gained weight this summer so I figured they should fit fine...NOPE. Now 12 of my 14 dress shirts don't fit at all. I had to get rid of most of my pants and shorts, and most of my t-shirts became workout only because they're way too big. Even some shoes are too big!
    Goodwill, the salvation army and thrift stores are a great idea, I've gotten some good stuff to hold me over until I finally lose my last 10 pounds. Another is just go to every store in the mall, hit the clearance rack and try on everything that you like to see what fits best. I got $55 shirts for $15 each that way. Now I just have to hope those don't start fitting too loose D:

Congrats! Good luck and have fun shopping!
  • MrsJuli4B
    MrsJuli4B Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise it would cost so much to constantly be replacing items in my wardrobe!

I generally buy key pieces on ebay (and I sell my bigger stuff on there too) and pick up t-shirts in the cheaper stores. My underwear can wait, no one sees that!
  • Angila
    Angila Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've got the same problem but not to bad of a problem to have lol!!!
  • Suzanuh
    Suzanuh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have scored awesome jeans for $15 at the gap outlet. I don't know if you live near one, but if you do it's worth it to check out. They are my favorite jeans and sadly (but not so sadly) they are becoming to big for me. I'll have to go back in the next month and get more. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Been there! Thrift stores to the rescue! I've picked up great deals on jeans, shirts, sweaters & tees at thrift shops that really helped with the in-between sizes.

For bras, I hit the clearance rack at TJ Maxx & Marshall's - you can usually find some good deals there with their clearance items often around $7 for good brand name bras. Target has some decent stuff too for around $12-14 if it's not on sale.\

Congrats on your progress!
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Kohl's & JC Penney are your friends. I get a coupon for 20-30% off every week, plus Kohl's is always having sales. At the beginning of summer, I found some really cute things & bought them in 3 different sizes for great prices. By the end of summer, I was out of all of them. We are having a "family weight loss challenge" this year, so my sisters have been the beneficiaries of my hand-me-downs.

Now that it's fall, NOTHING fits. I went shopping last week for new clothes & bras. I'm only 13 pounds from my goal, so I was willing to spend $$ for the good stuff this time. It was so much fun to shop in the "good stores" again! Now, if only I could find pants that come to my waist! I'm really long through the torso & all this low-riding pants are driving me crazy!!!
  • JimBarnhartMN
    JimBarnhartMN Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations!! This is a great problem to have. I just hit 100 pounds lost today, and have went through the same issue.

My wife could write a book on finding deals in thrift stores. For those that think it's 'creepy' wearing someone else's clothes, you should realize that many of the thrift stores (Goodwill included), actually have relationships with major retailers (Target for example) and often get new, unused clothing to sell. Many of the upscale thrift/consignment stores are very picky about their merchandise and it's often hard to tell if they are brand new, never worn or not.

I will say it takes my wife time to sift through the mountains of clothes to find the good stuff, but they exist if you are willing to put in the time to save a dime.

My newest issue is my wedding ring doesn't fit anymore. I had to stop wearing it because I'm going to lose it. Time for a re-size.
  • SEvansHB
    SEvansHB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I started in a women's size 28 and am down to an 18 in pants. My tops were 3X and are now a regular XL. It's AWESOME, but I hate that everything I buy is too big a month later. So at this point, until I only get to my goal weight and maintain it, I only shop at thrift stores. You have to search through lots of clothes, but it's awesome to find a treasure for $3 or $5. :)
  • ohaston
    ohaston Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Best suggestion I can give you is TO HAVE YOUR CLOTHES ALTERED.
    One of my church members took a dress from a size 22 to a 12 ... and I must admit ... it didnt look bad at all ! ! !
    I have a few pieces that I want my sister in law to have but most of my jeans, I already have a seamstress that is going to take them up for only a few dollars a piece.
    Im down 2 sizes now and most of my clothes look pretty awful and the clothes that I use to wear are now not actually what I want .. For instance, I have some boot cut jeans that look pretty good on me but who wears those now ...? its mostly skinny jeans or jeggins... So I've already had one pair cut to be straight leg (not quite enough elastic to be called skinny) but they look really nice.

Good luck and I understand your frustration but what a WONDERFUL frustation it is!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    While I love the idea of having some things altered, when I looked into it, I was told it would be less expensive to just buy new clothes. When I added up the cost to have a favorite outfit taken it I had to agree. Every single seam would have had to be redone. The rise would have had to been changed on the slacks.
  • BethAnnC448
    BethAnnC448 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    goodwill is my friend right now...that is where I shop while losing weight...have found some pretty awesome things.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I was on a thread earlier this month where some brilliant person suggested a MFP clothing swap..
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to have that problem. bouncy.gif

Luckily I have accumulated a bunch of clothes ranging from size 14-8. That ought to help me save some money for a bit.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    goodwill garage sales 2nd hand shops. just get a few pieces at a time. i know how it feels i went shopping 2months ago. then decided to get serious about weight loss now none of it fits.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

My wife could write a book on finding deals in thrift stores. For those that think it's 'creepy' wearing someone else's clothes, you should realize that many of the thrift stores (Goodwill included), actually have relationships with major retailers (Target for example) and often get new, unused clothing to sell. Many of the upscale thrift/consignment stores are very picky about their merchandise and it's often hard to tell if they are brand new, never worn or not.

I will say it takes my wife time to sift through the mountains of clothes to find the good stuff, but they exist if you are willing to put in the time to save a dime.

I completely agree! When people say thrift stores are gross or "scary" I always just think they have not been to them, or have been to some of the bad ones. My husband and I hit up our awesome local ones. I can pretty much wear whatever I please now but in the past I had to dress super professional and STILL found great things secondhand.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I took everything that could be altered to a seamstress she was much cheaper than buying new clothes, plus then I kept all my favorites she charged me about $5.00 per piece.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!