Diabetic Diet LC/HF

Options
I recently discovered I have diabetes type 2. I have been tracking foods but everyday MFP shows I am over on fats and protein. Is there a way to change my personal settings to add a higher fat and protein goal? Good fats only of course. Also it shows total carbs for the day and not *net* carbs, which is what I really want to be counting. TYIA.

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    For the fats and protein: My Home, Goals, Change goals, Custom. Set as desired, click the Change Goals button at the bottom to save.

MFP doesn't let you show net carbs, but there's a third-party script for Firefox and Chrome (and maybe IE) that will do it. Instructions and download are here: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/124645

Good luck with the T2D. My father has had it for nearly 20 years. He's vigilant about checking his sugar multiple times a day and watching what he eats, and thus keeps very good control. He used to walk regularly, until the arthritis in his knees got too bad. He's still in decent health, though, at 78 years old.
  • gman94568
    gman94568 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here is what you need:

Under MY HOME, select Goals and Change Goals.

Then select Custom and Continue.

Here you can manually set many aspects of your Goals.

Good Luck.
  • bwelch40
    bwelch40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too was diagnosed about a year ago with type 2, I started with MFP 6 weeks ago and also struggle with the goals for Sugar, and sometimes Carbs. I can only say that according to my Dr. Protein is OK to be over your goals because they want me to consume more protein and less Carbs, along with obviously less sugar. However in 6 weeks I have learned that no matter where your goals are set or how close you adhere to them staying at or under the calorie intake and a minimum 30 minutes of exercise a day is the true tell tale for Diabetes. I have gone from a 7.9 A1C to 6.5 in 6 weeks and lost 22 pounds. 4 or 5 Small meals and exercise everyday I guarantee will help with Type 2.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks! My mother was diagnosed 24 years ago. Since then she has had a triple bypass, multiple toe/foot amputations, lost one eye, had a massive heart attack where she coded 27x, COPD and CHF, and renal failure, and so much more. I do not want to follow her path. Kudos to your father!
  • kjimmie4848
    Options
    I too was diagnosed about a year ago with type 2, I started with MFP 6 weeks ago and also struggle with the goals for Sugar, and sometimes Carbs. I can only say that according to my Dr. Protein is OK to be over your goals because they want me to consume more protein and less Carbs, along with obviously less sugar. However in 6 weeks I have learned that no matter where your goals are set or how close you adhere to them staying at or under the calorie intake and a minimum 30 minutes of exercise a day is the true tell tale for Diabetes. I have gone from a 7.9 A1C to 6.5 in 6 weeks and lost 22 pounds. 4 or 5 Small meals and exercise everyday I guarantee will help with Type 2.

Thanks! That's great! I am constantly at least 200 under calorie goal (about 1,000 per day.) I can't really help that, just watching the carbs right now and still losing about 2 lbs per week.
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Im type2 but got all my meds about 4 moths ago. I think a lot has to do with working out and losing over 40lbs I cut all junk food. But still eat carbs just in moderation. Just stay after it and keep that A1C dropping your doing awesome.
  • thmgoodw
    Options
    I recently discovered I have diabetes type 2. I have been tracking foods but everyday MFP shows I am over on fats and protein. Is there a way to change my personal settings to add a higher fat and protein goal? Good fats only of course. Also it shows total carbs for the day and not *net* carbs, which is what I really want to be counting. TYIA.

Since I really only care about net carbs, what I did was in the settings I simply replaced the sodium column with fiber (and moved the fiber to be right after the carbs in the list). You are allowed 5 categories, so I suggest just replaced sodium or sugar with fiber. Then, when you look at your daily report, it is very easy to simply subtract the fiber from the carbs to come up with net carbs.
  • kjimmie4848
    Options
    Im type2 but got all my meds about 4 moths ago. I think a lot has to do with working out and losing over 40lbs I cut all junk food. But still eat carbs just in moderation. Just stay after it and keep that A1C dropping your doing awesome.

Wow! That's great!
  • kjimmie4848
    Options
    [/quote]

Since I really only care about net carbs, what I did was in the settings I simply replaced the sodium column with fiber (and moved the fiber to be right after the carbs in the list). You are allowed 5 categories, so I suggest just replaced sodium or sugar with fiber. Then, when you look at your daily report, it is very easy to simply subtract the fiber from the carbs to come up with net carbs.
    [/quote]

That makes it so much easier, thanks!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Don't fear fats - they won't spike your blood glucose. Protein only does so if you eat a lot of it, and low carb/high fat is the best way a diabetic could eat.