Do you mind if I vent?

Options
I am having one of those days where I really need to vent so I hope that is ok. I have been working really really hard for weeks now. Cleaned up my diet with a 1200 calorie a day diet (a bit extra on exercise days within what myfitness pal recommends) and am on week 6 of couch to 5k as well as beginning strength training at the gym. I only really had one day off the diet which was on my birthday so I have been really good at sticking to it. I have been losing weight fairly slowly but I guess that is ok as long as it is going down although maybe it's just me but it feels like everyone else in the world loses double putting in the same effort I do (I think that is just me feeling low though). I went to try some size 12 jeans on at lunch today because my 14's are hanging off me and none of them fit. My big lard a*s could barely get them up my legs. I am now wondering if the only reason my other trousers are so loose is because my tubbiness stretched them out beyond recognition before. Does anyone else ever feel like they put in maximum effort and get minimum results? Don't get me wrong, I am not going to let how I feel today demotivate me or go and binge to cheer myself up like I might have done once upon a time. I just wanted to know if anyone else ever struggles and gets overwhelmed with all this as well?

Replies

• SheridanLT
    SheridanLT Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's tough ...every single day. And I do know what you mean...it just took me 3 1/2 weeks to lose half a pound. So, honestly, I know it's beyond difficult, but try not to think about it.

I have a motto...Stay The Course. It will happen...consistency is the key!

Keep going Donna...you are doing great!!
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Dont give up! I think you would benefit greatly by upping your calorie goal by 100 or 200 since you exercise so much. Good luck!
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and vent! I find that different clothes require different sizes for me . I have everything in my wardrobe from a (UK) size 12 to an 18....

My skinny jeans are currently an 18, hanging off me but the 16 won't go past my thighs!

Usually I'm okay with it but other times I get utterly overwhelmed and that's it, I'm going to fat forever!!

Keept at it, it'll come off :-D
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh...trying on clothes can be SO frustrating!! I don't think that you've quite stretched out your current pants that much...especially if they're still quite large after washing!! I very clearly remember when I lost my first 10 lbs and felt my pants were getting loose doing the same thing...and I had the SAME results trying to get into a smaller size! When I went from a 14 (which let's be honest, I SHOULD have been wearing a 16) to a 12, it took about 20 lbs to go down just the one size! I remember thinking that was crazy and very unfair as I had worked so hard! You're doing everything right it seems (although I'd be eating more if I were you, but that's a different story :flowerforyou: ). Keep on trucking and you WILL get in that next size down. Every brand is so different to it's beyond frustrating! Have you tried the exact same brand as you're wearing now? Either way, you will no doubt have an "aha" moment where your next size is perfect!!

And of course you can vent, isn't that why we have mfp friends and the community boards?? We're here for you! Keep up the great work!! :flowerforyou:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    First of all, great job on sticking to the C25K! How are you doing with it?

Everyone has their ups and downs. My first bit of advice is to not pay attention to everyone else. You don't know their struggles or their methods. They might not be losing weight the healthy way or the sustainable way, or they may have had plateaus just like you. Don't put much stock in others' progress. Go forth with confidence that you are doing it the right way. And guess what? Minimum results is still results.

Don't worry about your clothes. I'm going through that now. I'm too small for a ten, but too big for an eight. I wish they made a nine, haha.

In the meantime, I suggest making some fitness goals to take your focus off of the scale. That way, when you don't lose much, you can still have measurable progress in terms of your fitness. You've come far on C25K. Focus on that! You HAVE to be positive. :-D
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    it helps to look at how far you've come. you lost 18 lbs and that is a nice big chunk of weight. your pants are getting bigger - who cares if they are stretched out or not? whatever size they were is now getting big. it stinks to be at the in between size, but you are getting there. a few more weeks and you will fit nicely into the 12s.

yes, there are people who lose more faster. so? i'm sure there are people who can run faster than I can, or who can swim faster, or who make more money than me. I only have to worry about comparing myself to ME. so i look and see that *I* lost 23 lbs in 5 months. and yes, other people lost 50 lbs in that time. so? i am so happy for them but at the same time i also happy for me.

seeing what others have accomplished just motivates me, actually. i know it CAN be done.

as for clothing sizes? yes, one of my pet peeves. why is there not a universal standard for sizes???? the same COMPANY can have different sizes. very frustrating.
  • Toofatforshirts
    Toofatforshirts Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can relate to you. I think a lot of people concentrate on weight lose. I concentrate on toning and building strength. I want to tone up first and then see the fat burn as a result of strength training. Hope that helps.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses weight at different speeds. Some do it less healthily than others, allowing them to drop a lot quickly. That is not the way you want to go about it and they will likely gain it all back. And some others may have a lot to lose and it's dropping off more quickly than you who doesn't have as much to go. Why are you eating only 1200? If you open your diary it would let people provide advice on things you could do differently.

As for the pants- yes your clothes can stretch with use. I had a pair of pants that when they became too big I went out and tried on the next size down. I couldn't even button them. I had just stretched them out from when I was bigger. I had to put them in the dryer for over an hour to shrink them down so they could actually fit me without falling off. HOWEVER- a month later I went back to the store and bought the same pair and had to wear a belt with it to keep them up. Keep at it!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    So, after you've measured all your foods in measuring cups, bowls, or whatever, exercised, and cheated only once, you're still not losing weight? Losing weight in an efficient manner takes time--some ten months to a year, but you have to stick with it. Your friend's list is bare, and friends make an enormous difference in the weight-loss war. A couple of pounds a month for twelve months is twenty four pounds, and that's a significant amount of weight when it's fat and not water loss.
  • twenty20tunnelvision
    Options
    You could have stretched them out.... Or it could be you just got the wrong style cut of jeans in a size 14. Or it could be the jeans.... or you could be stuck in the terrible limbo of between sizes. Either way I think you are doing awesome. Progress = success.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Its ok to vent. You help us to vent with you. I am really pleased with my weight loss in 5 1/2 months. I have actually reached my first goal, but can't put it down because i have fluctuated between 131 and 129 for 26 days now! Back and forth. And i have been good calorie wise. I generally eat more than the 1200 because i exercise so much. I am usually am burning 800- 1100 calories a day and that is conservative. I am often putting in 2-3 hours and half of that is pretty intensive biking. So i eat between 1400-1700 which is way below considering the exercise So i am Waiting to drop more. It should happen - but i was hoping before 26 days.........
    Keep at it - it will work.
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It might be worth remembering that the way clothes of the same size fit can vary between shops, even within the same shop, as different companies make different brands of trousers/jeans to their own measurements.
  • jlederman71
    jlederman71 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Seriously in the same boat.. and just went through the same thing. My size 14 is falling but I could not fit into the 12 either. And I thoght the same thing.. that my 14's were just stretched out!
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Clothes so SUCK for that very reason. One minute I'm in a size 16 and the next I can barely squeeze the button closed on an 18. It's not about YOU at all - the manufacturers all seem to have a different idea about what the right sizes are. It's SO frustrating! Know this - you're gorgeous, and it doesn't matter what the tag says. If it looks great on you - BUY IT! Your confidence will make anything you put on, that you absolutely love, look amazing.

:flowerforyou:
  • DonnaMc510
    DonnaMc510 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. I read so many stories about people's successes and how well they are doing and that is definitely motivating but the truth is some days I find this all a struggle. I don't always want to go to the gym and no matter how much I run I don't get the buzz other people rave about and I wonder is it just me. It's just nice to know other people have similar struggles to you and you're not alone. Don't worry everyone. I am gonna keep on going and putting in maximum effort and then when I reach my goal I will be even more determined to stick to it cos I'll remember how difficult it was to get there in the first place lol Onwards and downwards we go :happy:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If it's only been weeks, I'd say it's a little too soon to get frustrated. It's going to take awhile, try to be patient.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Clothing sucks alot of times. I have everythign from size 10 to size 6 and they all fit the same way. Also with me I tend to way the same for days and then all of a sudden I'm 3 pounds less. Do you drink a lot of water (sugar free koolaide, crystal light, etc)? I retain water like a sieve...especially doing my time of the month. Don't give up. Do something different. extra exercise, more water, low calorie bread, just something different.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yup, yup and yup. I've got a size 20 pair of trousers I've been able to get into for weeks now and another pair of 20's which have been "just a little tight" for the same out of time (same shop, different style). In the meantime I've lost pounds and colleagues are now commenting on my weightloss, but I'm not feeling it.

You just need to take a step back and breathe. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You've not got too much to lose, so it's going to take longer for you to drop that than, say lard-*kitten* me. The changes are gradual, so it can take a while to make a whole difference.

Your old jeans could've stretched, or the new jeans could be cut differently over the hips. No word of a lie - I've a pair of size 16 jeans I can button and zip up in my wardrobe. They're just very generously cut and slightly stretchy. Don't fret too much about the actual size of them, if a pair fits well then you will *rock* them.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. I read so many stories about people's successes and how well they are doing and that is definitely motivating but the truth is some days I find this all a struggle. I don't always want to go to the gym and no matter how much I run I don't get the buzz other people rave about and I wonder is it just me. It's just nice to know other people have similar struggles to you and you're not alone. Don't worry everyone. I am gonna keep on going and putting in maximum effort and then when I reach my goal I will be even more determined to stick to it cos I'll remember how difficult it was to get there in the first place lol Onwards and downwards we go :happy:

How much do you currently weigh? And how tall are you?

I can't stand running!!!! Have never experienced that high either. That's why I don't run. You need to do things you enjoy :smile:
  • sepulchura
    sepulchura Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Short answer, yes.

I applaud your efforts and I strongly encourage you to continue, you are worth it and your improvements in life will make it worth it.

My analogy on fitness, food management, health, etc.: it's like steering a gigantic ship, when you steer the wheel, it can take a long time to react. Trust your decisions, plan based on consistent data (i.e. watch your weight trend or measurements trend, don't panic based on momentary data bobbles), keep on keeping on.