Bad? I have not gotton on a scale.

Options
Hi I have been working out intensely for a week now- and my goal is to feel better and drop weight- Last time I got on a scale I was 260lbs, and that was around 8-10 months ago. I do not want to get on the scale, I want to see change and feel it. I feel that seeing a # on a scale may discourage me. I just wanted to get everyones thoughts on this:

Did you weigh yourself?
Do you think its important/ necessary for success?

Thank You All

Replies

• LSeales
    LSeales Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't weigh yourself, at least take your measurements and track your progress that way! Good Luck!
  • sarahwilson12
    sarahwilson12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That's probably a really good mentality. I weigh in weekly, and sometimes seeing the number (whether it's changed or not), is quite discouraging. Good call on waiting to feel better before weighing yourself. I think that'll be more beneficial in the long run :smile:
    I think it's a good idea to weigh yourself eventually, as that'll confirm how you're feeling about your body. Measuring is always good, too, 'cause even if you're not losing any pounds, you should be losing inches.

Good luck! :smile:
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Being a heavier person, I've found the scale to be handy for me mainly because it's taken me FOREVER to see the weight loss on my body. I felt better after losing 3 pounds or so, but since then it's all been about the same level of feeling generally healthier. As an example, I've lost 40 pounds and no one has noticed. I can't really see the difference in the mirror even, though I can see it in my stretch marks. Without the scale going down, I would have probably gotten discouraged and decided it wasn't really making a difference.

That being said, you don't necessarily need the scale. If you can see the differences in your body, or enjoy what you're doing (I still don't really enjoy exercise, so that's not a good motivator for me), then stick with it. If you're logging and staying at your goal, you'll likely be losing weight, whether you get scale confirmation or not.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself, but I know that the scale isnt an accurate reflection of what is happening with my body.
    If I could I would chuck the scale away!! BUT I need it to see what my weight is and adjust my calories.

Like other posters say measure yourself, and pictures are also a lot more accurate :smile:

Remember the scale doesnt measure sexy :wink:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of not weighing yourself. I don't know why so much stress is put on a number anyway. People lose weight mostly for aesthetics or to get healthy, and neither of those is dependent upon a certain number of pounds. Definitely take measurements and progress pictures, that way you have some way of measuring progress. :-D
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    It's a personal decision to get on the scale or not. I'm obsessed with that number and am constantly getting on the scale, however I use a body fat meter to decide if I'm making progress or not. Inches and body fat percentage are more important than the scale by far.

My BMI (the scale vs. my height) says I am obese, but my body fat is normal range, so I consider that a much better measure.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Im on holiday and currently hiding from the scale. Im maintaining some days and on a very slight deficit on others.

I found the scale essential in keeping me motivated when I was in loss mode. Absolutely.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I don't actually know what my starting weight was because I didn't get on a scale until I'm assuming I lost about 20lbs. I'm assuming I was around 190 when I started, but it might have been more or less. All I knew is I had to change what I ate, when I ate and move a bit more.

At 165 I decided to buy a scale. At the time my goal weight was 157. I decided I'd weigh in every 2 weeks and the scale lived in a closet until weigh in day. I worked, I changed more of what I ate, I logged everything, I worked out 3-4 days a week, and the scale eventually said 143. That was when I knew I was TOO LIGHT and needed to go into maintainance and gain a bit more (I'm 5'11, 34 years old and was a size 4 jeans). I gained a few over the next few month, winter came, I moved less, I drank more and at my endocronolgist appointment in June I was 160. It was at this point where I knew I had to go back to "old ways". I'm now 148, I want to be 145 by Thanksgiving (so that all of my BF's mom's cooking doesn't do me in when we visit for a week).

I feel that the scale is really only one way to gage your success. I went by how my clothes fit for the first 20, knew that the changes I made were working and when the weight loss slowed I knew I needed to change more.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I weigh myself every day (I'm a little obsessed) and record it once a week regardless of if it's up or down.

I don't think it's necessary at all to weigh yourself as weight loss isn't linear and it's oftentimes unpredictable. What's more important in my books is to take your measurements, see how your clothes are fitting, and see how your stamina is increasing with each new workout.

On the other hand, I'm not sure it's healthy to have a fear of the scale. It is what it is, and know that weight is probably one of the least accurate of ways to measure your success. It's probably the easiest way though.

I say step on it and if it does discourage you, go to the "Success Stories" part of the forums and know that you can accomplish anything.

Good luck!
  • Zibberroo
    Zibberroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was once too heavy for the scales that I had available. I could only weigh myself when I went to the VA Hospital for an appointment. I would utilize my measurements as a gauge of my success. This is a better judge of your success than weight, to be honest. I lost most of my eighty eight pounds without a scale to weigh myself, focusing on the changes in my body. I weigh myself daily now, mostly because I can. The other reason is that I enjoy charts and graphs, so frequent weigh ins provides a nice flow to the data. Part of my quirks.
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself since June - I really only do it when a) I'm on a diet or b) I have a physical and my doctor practically has to put a gun to my head to get my weight. I started a diet last Tuesday and decided I didn't want to weigh myself until tomorrow just because I didn't want to see how much I had gained (I have a number in mind that I think I'm near, but you know how traumatic it can be).

Overall, it's a good mentality, especially when you're trying to lose. You don't get discouraged and think "Well, I gained this week. Might as well eat this chocolate as not eating it did nothing for me", as I tend to think sometimes. Measurements are good too of course, but if you're like me, you want to FEEL good and stop having "fat days". When I feel good is when I weigh myself.
  • RebeccaBecca26
    Options
    I agree with what you are saying, Last time I weighed myself I was 260 I believe, and I made a commitment that at the end of Nov. I will step on the scale.