Antidepressants and Weight Loss

Options
I have been using MFP for a little under 3 months, and today is the first day I noticed there is a Message Board Forum. Whoo-hoo. Here is my question. August 1st I weighed 230lbs. I'm 37yrs old and 5'6. I eat about 1200 calories a day. I eat more if I exercise. I have purchased a Polar Watch which tracks my calories during workouts. I usually burn between 350-500 calories per workout. The days I workout I usually eat 100-200 calories. So, I believe I typically net about 1000 calories. I've been consitently losing about 3lbs a week. I've been on Zoloft (75mg) for anxiety. Just last week the doctor prescribed ANOTHER anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med to help me sleep at night. I read that Elavil WILL make you gain weight. I have eaten clean all week, and have exercised at least 5x. I gained a pound this week. I.AM.FRUSTRATED!

Ok--FINALLY--my real question--How do I lose weight while on anti-anxiety medications?????????

Replies

• abrodniak
    abrodniak Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The med itself will not make you gain weight, but certain drugs will cause your metabolism to slow and cause you to be more tired, which will in turn, cause you to gain weight. If you know you are on a med that has this side effect, then you have to work even harder to stay focused. I had to tell my doctor to find a med that does not have weight gain as a side effect, because I have a hard enough time losing weight as it is. I hope you get it worked out soon. I know how frustrating it can be.
  • krissielynn_87
    krissielynn_87 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm on lexapro and i've noticed that i've gained steadily since i started it in May. I will not stop taking it because I finally feel like a human, not as much anxiety, less OCD, less PTSD. I'll deal with the weight gain, but I will work harder to lose what I've gained. It just makes me want to work harder. the gaining sucks, it does, but we can do it.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to wonder if that's part of my problem. I've hovered around the same weight since my doctor upped my dose of my antidepressant. And I'm working out harder than I was before for that very reason. I'm gonna talk to about it when I go in again, to see if there's another option for me.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're doing all the right things, the weight should still come off. I take antidepressants and sort of used that as a crutch for a while, blaming them for my weight gain. In reality, I have been able to lose weight on them, but only once I stopped using them as an excuse.

I don't know metabolically if there is an answer that everyone will agree on, but I do think a lot of people overfocus on medication (antidepressants, birth control, etc.) rather than the underlying issues.

So make sure you are eating enough, weighing all your food (this was a big one for me), and honestly tracking exercise if you're eating back those calories. I think you could eat more for your height & weight, so calculating your BMR/TDEE may be a good way to start. Here's something to get you started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have read so much on drugs--I could probably do a commercial. From what I have read they say they don't know the reason why certain drugs make you gain weight. They think it could be you are happier or less stress--so you will eat more. They also say they could slow down your metabolism. I feel like my metabolism is moving at a snail's pace already. lol. I wonder if I do two-a-days workouts--if that will increase my metabolism. I used to be in the Army--and hated exercise. For SOME oddball reason--exercise is now my happy place. I get depressed if I can't run because it is raining outside. So, for me, exercising a lot isn't that big of a deal. I just don't want to be stuck at the same weight forever if there is something I can do. So far I have lost 26lbs since August 1st--so I feel like I'm going the healthy route. Ugh! Why do I have to be a girl?
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Just stick with the program. You can't fix every little thing, but if you are doing some cardio, lifting some weights and eating right, it will eventually happen.

On a side note. After I started running 4+ miles, I notices a change taking place in terms of depression. I t finally lifted after bouts for many years. No more meds. No more sitting around wishing I was dead - it's over.