Have your cake, and eat it, too!

Options
In the mood for cake and can't get it out of your head? try making diet pop cake!
take your favorite flavor of cake (chocolate, white, yellow, red velvet). Take a can of diet pop (what ever flavor balances with your cake choise the best...like diet sprite with white cake, Diet Dr Pepper with Chocolate or Red Velvet, Diet Cola with Choclate) get creative and mix and match flavors... Faygo make a ton of diet flavors giving you plenty of options...Diet orange with chocolate or white or yellow. Diet cream soda with carrot cake mix. The list goes on and on!

Anyway, pick your mix an your pop. Pour mix in a bowl, pout in the can of pop and wisk it up until blended. Pour into a baking pan and bake as per the instructions on the box.
The cake doesn't rise as high as it normally would, but it is so moist and tasty you don't need to worry about frosting. And all your calories are from the mix itself!
A lot less calories for a tasty treat!

Replies

• LinnPitt
    Options
    I have been making that for years.... the problem I have is self control. if it is there.... I will eat it. I can't seem to tell myself no. so I save that for when we have company. (rootbeer in red velvet is interesting)
    my husband doesn't really eat sweets except on a rare occasion. so making a whole cake is way too much of a temptation. I found a recipe for a single serve chocolate cake that you make in a large coffee mug. it is cooked in the microwave. and I replaced the sugar with truvia sweetner. I can't find it right now or I would post it.
    Thank you for sharing this with everyone though. it really is yummy and fun cake to make.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, that sounds amazing!!! Like LinnPitt though, I lack self control, and my husband doesn't eat sweets, so if I made it one day, I would end up eating the majority of it! lol However, maybe I will make it this weekend and take it to our friends..no one has to know the secret ingredient :wink:

Thanks for sharing FunkBunny !!!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I jsut did this for my hubby's b'day (2 days ago) and will likely do it for my daughters birthday (today) and that way i don't feel so bad about having a piece! And my kids aren't asking me why I am not having any!
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    The cake in a cup sounds great! if you find the recipe, please share!

You could also make the diet pop cake into muffins instead and then portion out your servings a bit better. i think this is a great recipe for when you'rehaving or going to a party and need a "sinful" dish to pass. The great thing is that it doesn't taste diet. the hubs loves this recipe and he won't normally go near diet soda with a 10' pole!

The calories are low enough where if you wanted to make a layer cake, you can make two separate flavors and colors, then stack them up.
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    I just found it and posted it on my blog. feel free to check it out.
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    if you can't access my blog and want the recipe send me a friend request. I accept them all.