How to cope when others aren't on a weight loss journey?

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    In your situation, I would cook my own meals and give him the option of eating what I cook or doing his own thing.

It sounds like he has some emotional issues about your weight loss beyond "why won't you support my love of food," though. You're both going to have to deal with those eventually.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    My goodness there are a lot of judgmental people on this board. I should be surprised at all the "your boyfriend is selfish" comments but...well...this is MFP. And what the heck is a "feeder"? Calm down everyone.

Her boyfriend is a foodie who loves to cook. They met when he was this way and the OP admits that she was really into it at one point (up until recently). Calling this poor guy selfish and insecure is just ridiculous. Relationships constantly challenge us to grow and change and these things don't happen overnight. Give the guy a break.

OP, I wasn't going to jump in until I saw your second post. I think you are right on and it sounds like you know how best to proceed. This is just a growing pain. Challenge him to make tasty food that's healthy - he will get on board when he realizes he can still have fun with you AND food in a healthy way.

And try not to call things disgusting - that would offend just about anyone ;-)
  • Maureen214
    Maureen214 Posts: 40 Member
    Glad you discovered the root of the problem was the importance of food as a career for him and he took your comments as an insult to his career or something he identifies with strongly and not just he doesn't 't want to support your weight loss which sounds like an easier issue to compromise over. But also don't forget to remind him that even though your weight loss journey may feel like forever, you're just eating this meal for today and you're just looking at today. Keep telling yourself that. Don't worry about the just for today being 60 more days or 600 more days, but it's just today. That's what helps me more than anything else. I know there will be special occasions and vacations. And I know there will be bites here and there; but portion control and overall balance and slow and steady are what I'm trying to focus on for today
    Good luck! It sounds like you're both on your way!
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    As far as cooking goes, I'm in a similar boat to your BF. I consider myself a pretty talented amateur cook and have considered switching careers to culinary.

When I started eating healthier, I took it on as a challenge. Could I make food that tasted great but was also healthy? See, I'm a person who has always and still hates food like steamed veggies and bland chicken. I couldn't have ever lost weight if I had to eat that. So, I found ways to make my favorite foods healthier. I now have a 90 calorie biscuit recipe (use it plain or for biscuits and gravy), a 90 calorie dumpling recipe, 300 calorie Chicken Franchaise (one of my favs and it includes pasta), and a 200 calorie pancake recipe, among others.

It's easy to make food taste good with a cup of butter, cheese, and deep frying it. Anyone can do that. It takes real talent to make something taste good without the crutches.

Also, plenty of international cuisines tend towards the healthier end naturally. Indian, Greek, and many Asian recipes are low calorie and delicious.

Doing this has made me a much, much better cook overall.
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Oh that is tough! Maybe one idea is to do a healthy cooking course together ?
    also healthy food can be absolutely delicious, have a play with recipees, taste.com has lots of ideas and recipee types to choose from. My friend who is a nutritionist is a total foodie, and makes such yummy meals! Nutritionists tend to know lots of tricks to make yummy healthy food. Also when you reduce sugar, salt and fat it does take time for taste to adjust but it does happen, best of luck :):smile: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    how about taking a few healthy cooking classes together? could be a fun bonding experience too!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    My goodness there are a lot of judgmental people on this board. I should be surprised at all the "your boyfriend is selfish" comments but...well...this is MFP. And what the heck is a "feeder"? Calm down everyone.

Her boyfriend is a foodie who loves to cook. They met when he was this way and the OP admits that she was really into it at one point (up until recently). Calling this poor guy selfish and insecure is just ridiculous. Relationships constantly challenge us to grow and change and these things don't happen overnight. Give the guy a break.

Oh look, someone saying really judgmental things...while reprimanding others for being "too judgmental!" That's both judgmental and hypocritical.
  • PRMinx

Oh look, someone saying really judgmental things...while reprimanding others for being "too judgmental!" That's both judgmental and hypocritical.

Judgemental things? I didn't directly call anyone names or say anyone was stupid, insecure, jealous, crazy, etc.

I said calm down. As a whole, people on MFP over react.

In this case, I think people are over reacting. That's not being judgmental, that's making an observation.
  • PRMinx
    In your situation, I would cook my own meals and give him the option of eating what I cook or doing his own thing.

It sounds like he has some emotional issues about your weight loss beyond "why won't you support my love of food," though. You're both going to have to deal with those eventually.

Since you opened the door, let's take what you wrote here. He's "having emotional issues about your weight loss." Really? Do you know him? Have you talked to him about this? That's an enormous leap to make from the OPs first and especially the OPs second post.

Maybe the guy just likes to cook dinner because it's fun and that's what they used to do together as a couple. Which is EXACTLY what the OP said in her final post.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member

When I started my journey, we were in it together (he has an even higher BMI than I do). But after he lost about 10 pounds, he kind of fell off the bandwagon.

You're on a journey... apparently, he's not on the same trip as you. You're 21 yrs old. If he continues on the path he's on, and you continue on your path... you guys won't be together for too long, anyhow. At least not happily. For you to be successful, he has to SUPPORT YOU, not the other way around. If he's butthurt because you don't fall all over yourself to congratulate him on his awesome deep frying skills.... that's too bad.

From your 2nd post, it sounds like he figured out a way to make this all your fault. I try that on with my wife all the time. It never works. If your BF plans on being a Chef, and cooking and eating whatever he wants, and as much as he wants...... and you plan on being a healthy, ( and healthy weight ) young woman.... like I say, you guys got on 2 different planes.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    There can be a happy medium. My husband is a wonderful cook and his meals are fairly high cal. He also doesn't measure and cooks by taste.
    He was very supportive of my weight loss journey. However, he wasn't on a weight loss journey and it wouldn't be fair or right to always eat low cal because of me. I have to make my own way, while taking him into consideration. It's only fair. Both of us have to be happy.
    We kind of compromised in that he usually cooks on the weekends and he continued to do so. I ate his meals but smaller portions and added some extra veggies or a salad, which I prepared. On MFP, because I was unsure of the calories in his food, I found the dish in the database and added some "quick add" calories (usually 100). I figured that this was a good estimation and wouldn't hold up my weight loss (and it didn't).
    On nights when I cooked, I tried recipes that were healthier and that I thought we'd both like. If I was cooking something I knew he wasn't keen on, his portion would be changed to suit his likes. We'd still eat the same meal, just slightly differently prepared. For example, he likes his fish fried, so when we had fish, I baked my portion and his would be breaded & fried. It's a big difference in prep time and both of us were happy.

You can find a compromise. This is your journey and you can make it happen. It's easy to get focussed on those numbers and we need to be. Realize, though, that for every 1 lb/week loss, you're eating 500 calories/day less than you need. So one (or two) days a week where you are only 300-400 calories/day less will not mean a weight gain. You can exercise those calories away.

Hang in there. You can do it.
  • I choose food over people anytime. Love food, hate people.

Then don't marry a person. Marry food instead.
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Just my two cents, I love to cook, also, and it's mainly a way of showing affection. So when you rejected all his recipes, he probably felt you were rejecting him/his love/whatever. Obviously untrue, but it can still feel that way sometimes. My suggestion would be to suggest healthier meals by bringing him specific recipes, including things similar to what he already cooks, but lighter. After suggesting these things in a nice and civil manner (not fighting? i guess), tell him that when he cooks something higher calorie or something unhealthy, that you'll only eat a small portion and maybe supplement the rest of your dinner with salad/soup/healthy food.
    If my boyfriend didn't want to eat something I made for dinner, I'd just want him to try a little portion and be appreciative I cooked for him. because like I said, cooking is a way of showing affection for some people, and your boyfriend sounds like one of them.
  • Jericha1992
    Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member

OP, I wasn't going to jump in until I saw your second post. I think you are right on and it sounds like you know how best to proceed. This is just a growing pain. Challenge him to make tasty food that's healthy - he will get on board when he realizes he can still have fun with you AND food in a healthy way.

And try not to call things disgusting - that would offend just about anyone ;-)

This. I appreciate this. Thank you.

I was really just looking for ways to reach a compromise, and I think maybe I'll find the recipes, and get him to make them.

I feel like it's overarching to believe that he's manipulative, controlling, insecure, etc. because he got a little uppity about dinner.
    To be fair, I often make him pretend to be a fourth grader so I can run through lessons before I actually teach them (he makes the WORST 10 year old, btw, but he does it to make me happy).

He did not find a way to make it all my fault. Indeed, it's NOT all my fault. However, I did misinterpret the importance of the conversation we were having. We all have things we're passionate about. Mine is education. His is food.

But honestly, if the worst conflict we have in our relationship is over what to eat for dinner, I think we're in pretty good shape. :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    5.-Eating-is-my-favorite-part-of-the-day.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I am a foodie...I love food and love to cook. I just practice portion control rather than eating twigs and berries to be "healthy."

I'm the primary cook in my house and I generally just eat far more than my wife in general because I'm a male...should I cook less food or different food or should my wife be able to portion what she needs out? Hint...she knows how much she needs and portions it out appropriately.

Portion control is one of the most important things you can possibly learn for long term, sustained success. maintenance is almost impossible without it unless you resign yourself to eating lettuce and celery for the rest of your life.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    K8GIF00Z.jpg
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    you cope with a death.
    you forge ahead on a journey.

if you want it, youll make it happen. you got this. focus on you.

steve-perry-two.gif
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Just out of curiosity, if you didnt have a significant other who loved to cook for you and show how much he loves you this way, what would you have in your way of being healthy?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    He values food more than people? And he says that out loud? And people are all, "lol cool."??

This. Maybe it's time for a new boyfriend.