Quinoa VS Cousous

Options
Please dont make fun of me but I do not eat these two things often at all.

But the other day I had a wicked couscous salad... and I thought it was quinoa... lol.

So I guess what I am asking here is... are they similar? Id rather eat quinoa then couscous (because I heard that quinoa is a super food of sorts)...
ALSO... is couscous another low carb option?? I am by no means against carbs.. but I like a low carb option every now and then.

Thanks in advanced!

Replies

• SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Bumpity :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    They are pretty different. Quinoa is a whole grain, but not a cereal grain like rice, wheat, barley, etc. It contains complete protein and is higher in protein than many grains.

Couscous is pasta. Same as other pasta, except for the shape.
  • SuperAmie
    Options
    They are pretty different. Quinoa is a whole grain, but not a cereal grain like rice, wheat, barley, etc. It contains complete protein and is higher in protein than many grains.

Couscous is pasta. Same as other pasta, except for the shape.

Oooo ok. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you! Guess I am going to give Quinoa another try then :)
  • ChrisMundie
    ChrisMundie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is higher in calories, carbs, and protein than couscous. So it all depends on what you are aiming for in your diet. Being vegan I usually need protein more than lower calories so I go with Quinoa, though I am really fond of pearled couscous too.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...both are delicious!

Trader Joes has a great blend, 'Harvest Grains', which is Israeli Couscous, Red Quinoa, Orzo and Baby garbanzo beans. It's so tasty, I've been using that for darn near anything that calls for either couscous or quinoa :)
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    They are both delicious! The other posters are correct... quinoa has more protein and is a bit denser/might make you more full longer. My FAVORITE way to have quinoa is to add some cooked to a bowl (cook it in low sodium chicken or veggie broth for a more flavorful route!) and then I love to top it with a sunny side up egg... scallions, chopped cashews, and a teensy bit of siracha! Throw some kale or spinach in there too to get your greens!
  • runningagainstmyself
    Options
    Quinoa:
    Quinoa_Nutrition_Facts.png
    Couscous:
    label200291.gif

I eat both, but it depends on what you are planning in terms of your whole day. I go with quinoa for a longer-lasting protein, but it is higher calories so sometimes I end up eating less, which sort of defeats the purpose. Couscous is equivalent in carbs, and still filled with protein (albeit less) and fiber (again, less) -- it's just not a COMPLETE protein in the way that quinoa is; which is to say that it has all the amino acids necessary for survival.

(Sorry for the edits; images weren't coming out right)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you're going to cook quinoa at home make sure you soak and rinse it well before cooking. It can have a really bitter taste if you don't get the coating off of it.
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In regards to the nutrition labels above, the serving says 1 cup, but the grams are way different. If you go by that, it's about the same calories per gram. 1.2 vs 1.2 cal per gram.
  • SuperAmie
    Options
    Hey thanks everyone!! Los of info before my grocery shop haha and the recipes sound amazing!!!