Metformin

Options
My blood tests for hormones, cholesterol (and literally everything else) came back perfect. My BP is normal. My testosterone is slightly elevated (56) but I'm told nothing to worry over. My endocrinologist says I am insulin resistant and started me on Metformin 500 mg on Monday. I'm testing my blood sugar, which is not high (around 75 average so far). I have a hard time dropping lbs at a normal rate. I go about 5 lbs a month as opposed to the 10 average I should be getting.

I've lost 64 lbs and I train 5-6 days a week (hard weight training not walking on a treadmill). I do cardio every session for at least 20 minutes but I weight train so hard I have to rest periodically to get my heart rate down. So I'm not half-assing it here. I use a personal trainer for weights only 3x a week. My diet is c-l-e-a-n. I rarely cheat, and it's not a whole "cheat day" if I do. It makes me ill. So yesterday, my hands were shaky toward the end of my weight training. I guzzled a little OJ and seemed to feel better. I had read online how exercise can make your blood sugar drop. Just great. I'll stop the pill before I stop working out.

Question #1: During my Metformin research online, I've not found anything about people like me with normal numbers who can't lose weight easily. Does anyone else use this drug who are like me? Is this drug going to help me lose weight normally? I'm still going to try it as long as I don't have any bad side effects.

Question #2: Are there any dietary tricks to optimize weight loss results on Metformin? Should I cut out caffeine? Low carbs? Glutens? I'm shooting in the wind here with things I know can be tricky for diets. I guess this would be my main question.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Replies

• bwelch40
    bwelch40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Metformin for the more practical reason of type 2 Diabetes. I take a 1000 mg not the 500 but this much I can tell you. Your blood sugar is certainly not high at 75 when working out hard the combination of the Metformin and the exercise which will usually raise insulin production you are probably bottoming out. ( Be very careful here) If you are dizzy or sudden weakness while working out stop and check your Sugar then, see just where you are. The Metformin for most people seems to cause prolonged Diarrhea and obviously will aid in weight loss from that alone(at least in my experience) I am not a Doctor but prescribing this drug to a person who obviously has no history of high Blood Sugar is very confusing to me.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest, outside of this website, I have never read or heard anything about prescribing Metformin for weight loss. H is on it for diabetes, and has lost some weight, but nothing outside of what he would normally lose on his current diet (except for the first week, when he had a lot of bowel issues).

Personally, there is no way I would let a doctor put me on a medication that affects endocrine functions just for the sake of weightloss. But that's me. What was the basis for your "insulin resistant" diagnosis if all of your blood work came back in normal levels? Even when used to treat PCOS, there is usually signs of insulin problems in the bloodwork before prescription (again, just based on everything I've read on the drug, which is a lot). I think I would at least ask some more questions about why your doctor wants you on this drug.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    When my doctor first prescribed metformin for me she said that it is commonly prescribed to people not for blood sugar but for weight loss. I had asked her about it because of the way she said "we'll start you off on this dosage and see how it goes" and I was like... why does that sound like something bad is going to happen?? Well yeah it was the stomach stuff but I got over it fairly quickly and I no longer have problems as long as I take it before or midway through the meal. I have lost about 15 lbs total with that but also cutting carbs/calories and increasing fresh food in my diet and some exercise.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    How is 5lbs a month not a good rate of loss?! Sounds good to me.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    hey girlie,
    i feel your pain.. i seem to be very much in the same boat. all i can say is stay with it. how do you feel. how do you think you look. My clothes fit better than they ever had and at almost 40 years old i am not concerned with getting into a size 8 any more. i feel fantastic, i have energy i am healthy. These are the things you need to focus on.. I am only losing about 2lbs a month so it is what it is.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    People with insulin resistance generally do better on low carb diets.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Question #1:
    Does anyone else use this drug who are like me? Is this drug going to help me lose weight normally?
    Metformin is generally prescribed for diabetes and pre diabetes (IR). I have read a few accounts here on MFP of people using it for weight loss. I'm a T2 diabetic, I used metformin for a year. It helped me lose weight. It lowered my blood sugar to manageable levels. With dietary control and regular exercise I no longer take metformin.
    Question #2: Are there any dietary tricks to optimize weight loss results on Metformin? Should I cut out caffeine?
    Given that you're IR (insulin resistant) you should lower the amount of carbs that you consume. Nothing extreme just lower. I try to keep my total under 150 for the day or 50g/meal. Finding the right amount of carbs for your lifestyle takes some experimenting and monitoring.
    I'm testing my blood sugar, which is not high (around 75 average so far)...

...So yesterday, my hands were shaky toward the end of my weight training. I guzzled a little OJ and seemed to feel better. I had read online how exercise can make your blood sugar drop.
    Yes, exercise will lower your blood sugar. Your body is utilizing the sugar (glycogen) for fuel. The combination of metformin, a low carb diet and intense exercise can lower blood glucose too far. That's a bad thing. Your baseline (75) is already near the bottom of the range (70 - 100 ; normal fasted blood glucose levels). When my fasted glucose was regularly hitting in the low 70's my doc took me off metformin. If the shakiness or dizziness persists you should talk to your doctor.

Are you working out in a fasted state? Maybe you should fuel up prior to exercise.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Are these your blood sugars now that are all normal, with the Metformin? Or were you checking your levels regularly before the medication? Of course you will have normal to normal low readings with the Metformin, it is designed to assist your body in utilizing the insulin it creates and lowering your blood sugar. You maybe want to keep some juice handy for those workouts, exercise does lower your blood sugar. I was on Metformin for a while myself, you will adjust.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS and was put on Metformin for fertility reasons. I'm not sure about the weightloss thing, but I had TWINS. I also have no thyroid, and that had something to do with it. My numbers were borderline high, and know that I wouldn't have been put on it if they weren't.

Perhaps you should stop taking it and ask your doctor why it is that you were put on it.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I take 1000 mg of that daily for T2 diabetes it has not caused ANY weight gain, amaryl for diabetes on the other hand makes it near impossible for me to lose any weight at all. Metformin for the first week or two can give you bathroom issues but that will level off and return to normal. While it is used for diabetes, I don't really see it being used for weight loss. I know a friend of mine said her GYN gives it to her to help with fertility (it has caused high instances of twins or multiples). I don't know that its worth taking if you seeking a weight loss benefit and not a medical one. If you are insulin resistant and need to lose more weight that will be the key, lower carb or just eating healthy carbs stay away from the junk, for people with insulin resistant issues its not long till that does turn into diabetes. Avoid cereal, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes (yes even fries). Fruits are sugar so avoid those as the vitamin benefit wont out weight the damage the sugar is doing inside your body. Berries are best, it doesn't mean you cant ever have them just limit them to a treat as you would cake or cookies. Stick with protein and veggies. I don't know if your number is 75 why there is a need for medication as that is a great number, had you been running much higher?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    How is 5lbs a month not a good rate of loss?! Sounds good to me.

Glad I am not the only one to question that.

How is 5lbs a month not good weight loss? That is just over a pound a week. That is normal.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    When my doctor first prescribed metformin for me she said that it is commonly prescribed to people not for blood sugar but for weight loss.

See, I keep seeing people on here saying that, but none of the literature I could find from the drug company, medical offices, or official studies/sources that recommend prescribing it for weight loss. I'm not saying it won't work for weight loss, just that I would question a prescription for that purpose unless the patient was suffering from adverse health effects of the obesity and unable to lose weight on their own. OP is losing just over a pound a week, so the prescription seems pretty drastic to me.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Are these your blood sugars now that are all normal, with the Metformin? Or were you checking your levels regularly before the medication? Of course you will have normal to normal low readings with the Metformin, it is designed to assist your body in utilizing the insulin it creates and lowering your blood sugar. You maybe want to keep some juice handy for those workouts, exercise does lower your blood sugar. I was on Metformin for a while myself, you will adjust.

I know, right? :D OP, if these BG readings were after taking the med, excellent!

There are definitely ways BG can read normally and insulin already be wonky, so I'd trust a doc who actually came out and said 'insulin resistant'. There are blood tests for that, so he probably just read your results, I'd think ;)

Yes, fixing insulin problems can help many folks lose weight. I hope docs aren't prescribing Metformin for weight loss, but if they just mention that it might help you lose weight, that is just true. It might help.

The thing about insulin resistance is that it can lead to really bad health problems, so it's good that docs are treating with Metformin before full-blown diabetes shows. I think patients need to do their own best to fix the problem with diet and exercise, but certain conditions just progress, too. If someone isn't prescribed something like Metformin until after they already have full-blown diabetes nowadays, their doc dropped the ball, imho. Catching it earlier helps preserve the insulin system, and the chances of full control are better than when caught after so much damage has already been done.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    I was reading an article recently that talked about how diabetics should make sure that their blood sugar level is at 100 or more before doing strenuous exercises. (OK, it was 5.5 mmol/l as it was a Canadian article.) As was suggested by another person, you may need to fuel up before exercising as your blood sugar is dropping too low. Suck back some carbs before the exercise.

As for metformin, my doctor didn't like my blood sugar level (182 mg/dl or 10.1 mmol/l) so she started me on a small dose (250mg twice per day) but I was supposed to max out at 2000 mg per day at the end of 90 days. Through a complete lifestyle change and a close eye on the carbs I am averaging around 104 mg/dl or 5.5 mmol/l so she took me off the metformin completely. While you may be insulin resistant I think that there are plenty of opportunities for you to get off the metformin and not worry about it.
  • reblblac
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm pretty sure the metformin is not changing anything and I'm thinking about stopping it. I never had low blood sugar issues before. I train way too hard to have that issue hanging over my head. I haven't lost weight any faster since taking it. I've added running to my off training days, and I'm bumping 1-2 additional heavy lifting days to my regimen. And watching the carbs more. My bloodwork was normal. And the 75 was the lowest I tested, after being on metformin 1 day and after my morning training, which is intense. If I had noticed the slightest change, it might have been worth it to give it more time. I'm not a pill person. I guess I was hoping it might speed things along, but the general consensus is that 5 lbs a month is normal :) I'm certainly not complaining. I was just thinking as hard as I train, I would be more in the 8-10 lb a month range. Oh well, makes me appreciate it more.
  • DapperBear
    Options
    I'm surprised to hear so much negativity about metformin on here. Personally, I've been on metformin for 11 months now, and it's made my weight loss rate something just short of mind-blowing.

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance in January, as well as pre-diabetes, and low testosterone. My doctor prescribed metformin to suppress my insulin resistance, which he assured me was the culprit behind my nearly constant weight gain and the difficulty I had losing it. Testosterone injections took care of one problem, while reducing the insulin resistance quickly removed pre-diabetes from the equation. He gave me simple guidelines for my diet: No more than 1800 calories daily. No carbohydrates except what come naturally in non-starchy fruits and veggies (i.e. no potatoes, rice, bread, beans, etc.). And no less than 80g of protein a day - so essentially it was a high protein-low carb diet. I tried high protein-low carb diets before - Atkins; South Beach - but those never had lasting results. I'd lose a little weight, slow down, plateau, and all progress would stop. (Thanks IR!)

So I stuck faithfully to my guidelines, took the metformin (500mg three times a day), and the weight loss was incredible! Cravings went away in about three weeks, and I found myself eating between 1250 and 1350 calories a day, while feeling completely satisfied, with no hunger pangs. Obviously food journaling with MFP was a great help to maintaining my guidelines.

My doctor was routinely flummoxed (but happy) at weigh-in time, and as of my weigh-in last month, I'd lost 190# over a 10 month period. I have another weigh-in this Friday and expect my weight loss total to take another jump up.

I wish I could say why metformin has worked so well for me, when others here have met only with frustration. But I'm certain it's what is making all the difference in my current wellness plan, and look forward to finally getting to a normal weight finally, after a lifetime of failed diets.

38171046.png