under calories but over in sugars

Options
anyone encountered this? I think the main thing is fruit juice for breakfast or dinner. I only have one glass a day but there's 24 calories! Wouldn't fresh fruit be the same? I have trouble eatting enough fruit to begin with - any suggestions anyone? Thanks :)

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Regular fruits do have sugar....however not nearly as much as fruit juice, if it is not natural fruit juice, meaning you made it yourself

I dont watch my sugar on MFP, I eat alot of fruits, by my second fruit, I am over in my sugar, so I have stopped watching it.

Processed sugar, is the one you should worry about. If the fruit juice is not natural, then it most likely has alot more sugar than the real fruits. and causes more damage than the natural sugar.
  • mharriso30
    Options
    When I first started MFP, I was going over on my sugars by as much as 50-75 g per day, and while my calories were in check, I wasn't losing weight. After I got my sugars down to what MFP suggested, I lost weight. I personally wouldn't drink fruit juice because of the amount of sugar usually added to those. You can eat small pieces of fruit or cut fruit in half to get a variety without going overboard on sugars. So many of our "regular" (non-sweet) foods are loaded with sugar (e.g., Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine frozen meals usually have 5-9 sugars each) that there really isn't room to add much sugar on top of that and still stay under your sugar goal.
  • koukla17
    koukla17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you both.
    I'll try eatting more fresh fruit - maybe cut up in pieces :)
    The fruit juice is 100% fruit juice, Ocean Spray, don't know if sugar is added. I figured it was better than a fruit cocktail (only 15%).
    I'll also keep an eye out for processed sugar - silly question, but what exactly does that mean?
  • mharriso30
    Options
    Processed sugar is anything that doesn't occur naturally. Refined sugars that we use to cook with are processed sugars. A lot of things that we consider to be "healthy" (granola bars and yogurt come to mind) have processed sugar in them.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    If most of your sugars come from fruit, is that ok to be over then? Don't get me wrong I like my granola bars, but I can eat up a good amount of fruit in one day...Just today I had about 48 grams of sugar from just fruit, and I'm only supposed to be eating about 50. lol
  • thevetchling
    thevetchling Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In the uk we have legal definitions which say that anything sold as fruit juice cannot contain any extra sugars, it might be from concentrate, but has to be basically one ingredient. The other drinks have to be called "juice drinks" which can contain just about anything. Is this the same elsewhere or is it a British thing?
  • kerrera
    kerrera Posts: 43
    Options
    I am exactly the same. I can spot on with most things most days but my sugar is always over. I cant win, i nibble an apple, or orange or grapes when hungry to take of the edge. I dont want to give up fruit i like it and it helps me when i am feeling nibbly or bored.
  • MGJ123
    MGJ123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No, I believe we have that here in the USA also. You have to definitely have to read the label to see if you are actually drinking juice or an fruit drink.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    They make juice with very little sugar. What kind of juice are you drinking? I just discovered apple juice with 6g of sugar from Healthy Balance. I got it for my 1 year old.

Usually, I don't care for sugars in fruit. Those aren't bad sugars like table sugar. In fact, I log in my fruit for the day after to make sure. If it goes over from the fruit, it doesn't bother me.
  • thevetchling
    thevetchling Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't really care that much whether it's good or bad sugars. It just absorbs all simple sugars (sucrose, fructose, and glucose) really quickly and gives your body a spike of sugar.
    This is why they are separated from other carbs on food labels. Other carbs have to be first broken down by your body into these simple sugars.
    This takes time and so is why you don't get such a spike in blood sugar from other carb sources of sugar.
    All sugars need to be watched.
    I assume the Apple juice from healthy balance is referring to its natural sugar in the drink. I hope there isn't any extra sugar added to what's already a very sweet sugary drink!
    Sweetening something like porridge with apple juice or the like would be no benefit over sweetening it with the crystals from Cane Sugar plant.
    Our daughter has never had sugar of any kind added. she believes that is how porridge oats should taste. I couldn't eat it like that as I was raised to believe that all cereals are a sweet food. She's lucky do not think this is always true.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't really care that much whether it's good or bad sugars. It just absorbs all simple sugars (sucrose, fructose, and glucose) really quickly and gives your body a spike of sugar.
    This is why they are separated from other carbs on food labels. Other carbs have to be first broken down by your body into these simple sugars.
    This takes time and so is why you don't get such a spike in blood sugar from other carb sources of sugar.
    All sugars need to be watched.
    I assume the Apple juice from healthy balance is referring to its natural sugar in the drink. I hope there isn't any extra sugar added to what's already a very sweet sugary drink!
    Sweetening something like porridge with apple juice or the like would be no benefit over sweetening it with the crystals from Cane Sugar plant.
    Our daughter has never had sugar of any kind added. she believes that is how porridge oats should taste. I couldn't eat it like that as I was raised to believe that all cereals are a sweet food. She's lucky do not think this is always true.

I can't eat oatmeal without brown sugar & cinnamon, If its not coated in that, I think its gross...but my daughter likes it plain because she's never had it the other way. Sometimes its good not to know what its like on the other side.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    LOL, my husband wanted to put syrup on my daughters pancake. I told him what she doesn't know won't hurt her. ;)