Confessing my story - at 87 pounds lost

Options

Replies

• ellantz8
    Options
    Awesome story Jim! Keep up the great work!
  • Xtinesky
    Xtinesky Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That was a very good read. Thank you for sharing your story, it was inspiring. Here's to your losing a century very soon and fitting into your soon to be too tight clothes.
  • JimBarnhartMN
    JimBarnhartMN Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm posting today just so I can see my tracker at 100 pounds lost!!
  • aamckay9
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Your story was awesome, thanks for sharing!
  • MGinAK
    MGinAK Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Completely wonderful!!! Thank you for taking the time to share...I read all the way to the end! I am befuddled, as well, about carrying the extra weight. I can barely lug a 40 lb bag of dog food from my car to my front door...how do I carry that and more with me everywhere I go? Congrats on your success!!!
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I read your story and I found it to be very inspirational...congrats you are doing an awesome job:drinker: Thanks for sharing this it really helps all of us to try to do better cause we can all do it if we set our minds to it :flowerforyou:
  • KB5711
    KB5711 Posts: 21
    Options
    Great Story! I loved reading about your "Aha" moments and thought progression as you put together the baby steps that are leading to your success! Congratulations!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Excellent story! Appreciate how you made simple changes that are sustainable for your life!
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your continued success. Thanks for sharing your approach. BTW, Love the part about the 90s parachute pant/shorts! Keep up your healthy lifestyle.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing--I related to so many parts of your post. I too am avoiding a set goal, and the part about exercising 6 days a week is so true. I just realized this week that I need to make exercise every day a habit, even if it is only a little walk.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on hitting your century mark!!! Absolutely amazing! I don't know what your starting weight was, but I wish my brother and sister-in-law would read this. They are both extremely overweight and as you put it "walking heart attacks" with their cholesterol, and blood pressure problems. I like the baby steps approach you took and how they snowballed into a massive lifestyle overhaul! Kudos to you!!
  • snazzy25
    Options
    That is so awesome. I am so proud for you. I am struggling to not eat at night. I get motivated and do really well for a few months then something will happen and I lose it and gain all of it back. I am trying to eat healthy and work out everyday and I too have a treadmill that I leave sitting in the middle of the room so I have to walk around it all the time to remind me but I fail to get on it.

My worst problem is I stay hungry all the time or I think I do. I can't stop eating. .....
  • roxanavk
    Options
    Way to go! :)
  • JimBarnhartMN
    Options
    Congratulations on hitting your century mark!!! Absolutely amazing! I don't know what your starting weight was, but I wish my brother and sister-in-law would read this. They are both extremely overweight and as you put it "walking heart attacks" with their cholesterol, and blood pressure problems. I like the baby steps approach you took and how they snowballed into a massive lifestyle overhaul! Kudos to you!!

Thanks! I can confess now, I was 368 pounds at the start. I'm 6 feet tall, and have a big frame, even when I get to "skinny" I won't be a small person. I can feel every rib on my rib cage at my current weight, but still have belly fat that needs to go. As I mentioned in high school I was about 230 as captain of the football team. That was over 30 years ago, now I am zeroing in on returning to that range.

I'm completely off of all medications, only take a multi-vitamin and glucosamine, and maybe 1 Aleve per day to keep the joints happy. My cholesterol is 129 (almost half of what it was when I started medication), my blood pressure runs about 130/70.

I can tell you with anything (weight, fitness, drugs, alcohol, etc), the person has to want to change themselves, but each person can be motivated in different ways. Some it might be encouragement from others, some it might be self motivation, some it might be a goal (bikini, trip, adventure, etc). But you can't force anyone to do it. I, in fact have motivated others via my facebook dialogues to start getting fit. If you mention me to you brother or sister-in-law I would be honored to know if they found any encouragement or motivation.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Congratulations :)
  • JimBarnhartMN
    Options
    That is so awesome. I am so proud for you. I am struggling to not eat at night. I get motivated and do really well for a few months then something will happen and I lose it and gain all of it back. I am trying to eat healthy and work out everyday and I too have a treadmill that I leave sitting in the middle of the room so I have to walk around it all the time to remind me but I fail to get on it.

My worst problem is I stay hungry all the time or I think I do. I can't stop eating. .....

Do you workout in the morning or evening? I've found I have to do the morning, or I never find time. My routine is set, I get up, make coffee, let the dogs out, and go get on the treadmill. I do it every day, giving myself 1 day off on the weekend. It is now a habit. I admit sometimes I don't feel like it, and in those days I slow down a little bit on the treadmill. I have a set routine that has me doing 2.3 miles and 350 feet of incline in 30 minutes. I usually push the speed up a bit manually, and push the incline up manually and do about 2.6 miles and 500 feet of incline. If I'm not feeling it, I stay at the base routine.

In terms of eating, I knew I'd never succeed if I was starving all the time. When I started I let myself eat all the fruits and veggies I wanted. If I was hungry at bedtime, eat an apple or carrot. Or maybe a fat free yogurt. And those 100 calorie snacks (granola bars, cookies, brownies, etc are godsends). I try not to have 'bad' things in the house. My problem before was not eating enough during the day. I would be so hungry when I got home I'd eat 3000 calories at night and go to bed.

Hopefully there's a nugget here that might help you.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    great story man.. helps keep the target out there for those of us that are still traveling down that road. Thanks!!!
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! Congratulations!!
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    love your story!! im so happy for you!! you are an inspiration thank you for sharing!
  • Longtobelean
    Longtobelean Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Love your story, great job on hitting 100 lbs!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!