Anyone experience knee "popping" with squats?

Options
Wondering if anyone else's knees "pop" when they are doing squats. I can squat up to about 150# but anything more and my knee makes a popping sound. It doesn't make the popping sound when I use the leg press though. Suggestions or insight?

Thanks in advance!

- Mike

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    The only thing I think I could offer here is that "cracking", like you do with your toes or knuckles, doesn't hurt you at all. I figure that would extend to all of your joints.

Intuitively though, if it's a "popping" instead, you should probably see a doctor (orthopedist) to have them take a look at it before you keep loading the thing and make a possibly bad knee worse.

I'm experiencing this now too, though it happens now regardless of where I am or what I'm doing, and it's moved over to my left knee as well. Actually hurts sometimes if I pop it a bit, it just doesn't feel like a regular old crack.

Probably came from squats, I'm going to have to see a doctor myself.
  • TX_Mike
    TX_Mike Posts: 27
    Options
    Ugh, doctors...I haven't given much thought to seeing a doc because it doesn't hurt. Not even when I run. It just pops like you suggested; like a knuckle or joint. But I don't try squatting much weight because of it.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah see, after a few pops, mine definitely gets sore.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My knee pops but it never gets sore. It happens while doing squats and other forms of exercise. I've been told by doctors that as long as their is no pain, there is no concern. If there is pain, you should see a doctor.
  • teesfood
    Options
    Sometimes I do.. Mine hurts, so I stop, then do more later. =( I feel like a ligament is pulling too. Sucks!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Mine do constantly. It never hurts, but it grosses me out. I don't know, the sound and the feeling.....gross.
  • VaTechM3
    Options
    Mine pop quite often when squatting. It doesn't seem to affect anything from what I can tell, and it actually feels a bit better once they do.

I'd get someone to check your form in the squat if you can to make sure you aren't performing the move incorrectly. I used to have pretty bad knee pain and have really worked on adjusting my form to avoid whatever might be causing it to do so.

It hasn't hurt enough for me to consider seeing a doctor and it hasn't affected any of my other exercises I'm doing like running, etc.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yes absolutely.

i started warming up for squat day with at least 6 sets of 10-15 bodyweight squats to get my joints nice and warm and lubed up and the popping took about 3 weeks (or 6 squat sessions) to completely disappear.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    same here, my left knee on the outside, its like the ligament or tendon pops or slips out of place, but only sometimes. it doesn't hurt, just feels weird... sometimes if i adjust the angle my foot is at it helps. but yea as long as it doesn't hurt...
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My knee pops when I squat & also my hips pop when I walk... I've been curious to know if it happens to anyone else also... Also, after I finish a vigorous workout I get lil spasm feelings in muscles... I get them all over my body but more in my legs... Not sure if that's normal or not...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yes, they do, but my knees pop if I sit down in a chair or basically do anything that involves bending them and straightening them. But, it gets worse (and painful and trouble walking) with heavier weights. So, I go at the pace that works for my body. I can go heavier with deadlifts and hip thrusts. Squats are a slower progression for me. I have a long history behind all of this. I'm not saying I have excellent form, but I do work with a physio.
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    Worried about possible Meniscus tear? Partial?

Do you have problems going down stairs?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I get this on occasion. It used to freak me out. Usually once that happens, my knee is all warmed up and good to go, lol. I have have noisy joints in general. Can't creep up to nobody barefoot :grumble:
  • FaerieBert
    FaerieBert Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My left knee pops whenever I do lunges and squats. I have good form and it never hurts, so I don't worry about it. @xapril77x I get the spasms too, usually in my legs after a walk outside or some heavy leg work. My dad said it was lactic acid from working your muscles and it's normal. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I get this on occasion. It used to freak me out. Usually once that happens, my knee is all warmed up and good to go, lol. I have have noisy joints in general. Can't creep up to nobody barefoot :grumble:

I know! The popping in my knees generally involves some stiffness and pain, and I need to warm them up.

But, I also have crackling in my ankles that is just from fluid build up. Can't sneak up on anyone. And when I dance and do spins it is accompanied by a symphony of crackling sounds. I don't even notice that anymore, I'm so used to the sound. It takes me a little while to realize why people are asking me if it hurts.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Both my knees pop quite a bit, both have a grinding sensation with movement, but only the right one hurts. And that pain is mild and only occasional after I run now. Maybe because I do strength training in addition to running now. A few weeks ago I was riding a stationary bike and every time I did a rotation the left knee would pop.. Annoying!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone else's knees "pop" when they are doing squats. I can squat up to about 150# but anything more and my knee makes a popping sound. It doesn't make the popping sound when I use the leg press though. Suggestions or insight?

Not a doctor, just someone whose knee used to pop.

It could be any of several things, depending on where you feel it, whether it hurts, whether it "catches" when it pops, does it pop when you're bending the knee or straightening it (or both). Some people just have noisy joints. The kneecap could be pulling to one side a little, instead of tracking straight. Meniscus tear is a possibility, though not likely if there's no pain, instability, or catching. It could be something called a plica, an extra fold of the tissue lining the joint, snapping across the end of the tibia. There are surely other possibilities as well.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yep, but not all the time.
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Once I hit over 100 pound squats, my knees have started crackling. I find it utterly disgusting and really off putting but if it doesn't hurt then there's no problem.
  • Brown523
    Brown523 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    As long as it's popping and no pain you are fine. Sometimes you get air in your joints. My pop all the time. Walking up the stairs, squats, bending at the knee....If you have pain then you want to see someone.