Searching for lost motivation

Options
Hello MFP's,

I started my journey on weight loss about a year ago with coworkers who wanted to do a challenge. I embraced that, started working out with them, eventually started jogging on my treadmill and lost about 25 pounds. :) Well since July I haven't done a single mile. We were in the process of traveling, selling and buying a new home, and now we are finally settled in the new place, and you won't believe I've misplaced my key for the treadmill. It's got to be in a box that I haven't had a chance to unpack yet. Needless to say, I'm gaining weight again. I want to get back into the rhythm I was in before the crazy summer started. I started tracking food again, I love that tool. Any ideas on what I should do, or encouraging comments.

Before all that happened, I was running 4 miles to 5 miles a day on the treadmill. Maybe just typing this for other people to read will be the kick start I need. Have a good day all!

Replies

• kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I used my treadmill everyday. When I moved 5 years (and 50 pounds) ago I used it as a box/hamper/clothes holder. Good for you for making a change before getting so lost like I did. Good luck!
  • roxanavk
    Options
    Thank you for the encouraging words and good luck to you too :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Stop looking and start doing!!! There will always be an excuse to not get on track. Push yourself when you must.
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There are other ways to workout and get that exercise in. What else do you like to do?
  • roxanavk
    Options
    IKR :) Tomorrow when I log on there will be exercise added to this!
  • jdonato27
    Options
    I am perpetually falling into ruts like this. I know it sounds cliche, but what helps me is finding something new to try. For example, I am not a fan of running. Pavement running hurts my joints and makes me sore for days. Admittedly, it's a spectacular workout. So what I decided to do is take up trail running. I started a year and a half ago, and could never go back to pavement running. The benefits are great: the trail requires you to stay alert and nimble, so you don't just get bored and zone out. If you're a fan of nature, just looking at the woods around you can be refreshing. The air is clean, and you have no automobiles to contend with. There are parks and trails everywhere, so if you get sick of one area you can explore a new place. It also helps with intervals, because you can say "okay, I'm getting winded - I just have to sprint to that trail marker (or tree, or fallen branch, etc) and then I can walk a bit". I also think that it's useful to just run - no tracking time or distance, just going. Really push yourself to go one step further than you want to go, because once you do, you can a) use it as motivation next time you want to stop ("hey, I did it that time, I can do it again") and b) can feel good about having put in the extra effort.

In the same vein, try new activities. The novelty will keep you going and you may find something you really enjoy.

Very recently, I actually started a mostly vegan-tarian lifestyle, and I've found that that just keeps me on track. It may seem like a really crazy, overzealous step, and I'm by no means advocating it. But the main difference-maker is that it's a new thing that makes you think when you're going to eat. Just incorporating something very small, like juicing or replacing 1 coffee a day with another beverage, can keep you on track because you're focusing on making an entirely doable, small, but important change. I have found that just telling myself that my body wants nutrients and not crap has helped me to just turn certain things away.

By the way - awesome job on the weight loss!! That is incredible, and you really look fantastic! I hope I helped you a little, and I'm sorry about the long responses I've just been there a million times and I totally understand how difficult it can be to muster up the motivation.

Best of luck to you!! Enjoy your traveling, moving, and settling in! Now is the perfect time to accompany your new home with a new, motivated you! :)
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP's,

I started my journey on weight loss about a year ago with coworkers who wanted to do a challenge. I embraced that, started working out with them, eventually started jogging on my treadmill and lost about 25 pounds. :) Well since July I haven't done a single mile. We were in the process of traveling, selling and buying a new home, and now we are finally settled in the new place, and you won't believe I've misplaced my key for the treadmill. It's got to be in a box that I haven't had a chance to unpack yet. Needless to say, I'm gaining weight again. I want to get back into the rhythm I was in before the crazy summer started. I started tracking food again, I love that tool. Any ideas on what I should do, or encouraging comments.

Before all that happened, I was running 4 miles to 5 miles a day on the treadmill. Maybe just typing this for other people to read will be the kick start I need. Have a good day all!

Just pull out a photo of yourself 25 lbs heavier and that should be all the motivation you need. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be back at it soon. Whatever you do, don't by new pants! Feel uncomfortable in the pants that are getting too tight and use that as motivation.
  • 1edwinas
    Options
    Hi I just restarted again! That seems to be my life story. However this time I feel like its different. I think being accountable to the computer helps. This time I seem to have a real goal. I have always prayed about losing weight but this time our Pastor is preaching on Hope. His sermon last week was so good and I feel with God's renewed help I can do it.
    You can do it too you have had a lot of stress with moving. etc. We cant use that as a reason forever but its a valid reason. As you settle in get back to being more accountable. I'll keep you in my prayers too we can do it!!
  • roxanavk
    Options
    Awesome ideas there! Thank you :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Ok, first of all, a "journey" indicates that there is an end. Here, it never ends. Ever.

Every day, get up with pristine expectations and try to hold to them. If you fall, pick yourself back up and try it again immediately, not wait until the next day with the promise that "tomorrow I will be better."

This is what keeps my going because there are some days I would rather eat a bucket of nails than do what's right. Some days I "eat the nails," but it's ok.
  • happylife2014
    happylife2014 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse!! FIND A WAY!! You can do this!! :)
  • MarkTokyo
    Options
    Great posts. They are encouraging.
  • CleanEats4AppleCheeks
    Options
    When I fall into a slump with my workouts and meal planning I tend to watch motivational videos. I know it sounds cheesy but there are lots on You Tube. I watch the fitness related motivational videos. It usually pumps me up and reminds me of why I am doing this in the first place:) Maybe you can also work on a Vision Board to reassess your goals and have something you can actually see and touch. I have one that I add to frequently right above my full length mirror so I see it everyday when I get ready.