weight goes down then jumps back up

Options
last Friday i weighed 138lbs, down from 140lbs it stayed that way until Sunday when i jumped back up to 141lbs, then on Monday 142lbs. and now ive only just got back down to 138 again.

this has happened for a few weeks now, i get down to my lowest then 2 days later its back up a few pounds and takes me another few days to get that back off and a little more for my official Saturday weigh in.

whys it so zig zaggy?

Replies

• VonTinka
    VonTinka Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    seems definitely like water weight don't worry i get it :) your weight changes around 5lb a day just from water
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yup happens to me, usually I'll experience a bit loss one day, jump up nearly a pound and then fall back down slowly to that low number.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. You will fluxuate daily
    2. Weight loss is not linear, for me it is usually pretty random actually
    3. Just to share my personal trends: I will lose and get to my new lowest weght, then gain a lb or 2 and stay there for a week or so, then I will gain for a day or two right before I lose again and get to a new lowest weight. I am not going to try to explain why this happens because I don't know, but I have been keeping track of it very regularly and that seems to be the pattern over and over with slight variations in the time frame.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    That sounds normal to me. What I do is log my weight each time it goes down to a new low, then wait through the fluctuations until it goes down to a new new low before I log it again.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Probably because you're trying to live on 1200 calories and your body is not happy.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I hate this! I'm frustrated today about this same issue. I've lost 17 lbs and am trying to lose 8 more, but now the scale goes down a pound and up a pound and down a few ounces and up again...GAH! My kid is now going to the gym with me and that's been great, but that means I'm doing less cardio b/c I cut it short so we can then do the weights together. This may have something to do with it. Also, I'm pretty comfortable now with a 1200 goal, so maybe I need to cut back just a little bit more to kick-start the loss again. I want to lose 8 more lbs by Thanksgiving so I'm not giving up. Just going to be even more focused. GAH!!!!!!!!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    3. Just to share my personal trends: I will lose and get to my new lowest weght, then gain a lb or 2 and stay there for a week or so, then I will gain for a day or two right before I lose again and get to a new lowest weight. I am not going to try to explain why this happens because I don't know, but I have been keeping track of it very regularly and that seems to be the pattern over and over with slight variations in the time frame.
    That sounds very familiar!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    its just a problem with your scale. you are on it too much.
  • likehemingway
    likehemingway Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's what I do as well. Got down to 136 and then it jumped back up to 141, to 140, back down to 139, etc. Frustrating indeed.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    last Friday i weighed 138lbs, down from 140lbs it stayed that way until Sunday when i jumped back up to 141lbs, then on Monday 142lbs. and now ive only just got back down to 138 again.

this has happened for a few weeks now, i get down to my lowest then 2 days later its back up a few pounds and takes me another few days to get that back off and a little more for my official Saturday weigh in.

whys it so zig zaggy?

The bottom line is that weight fluctuates for everyone. As long as you are eating less calories than you burn and your clothes are not getting tighter, then my guess is that everything is fine.

If it bothers you to see weight fluctuations, you might want to put the scale away and weigh once a week or every few weeks. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Love it. :bigsmile:
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It's like weight loss burpees!
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Hehehehe
  • jennie1799
    Options
    I think most people fluctuate. I'm a little OCD and track every day. I then plot it in an Excel sheet so I can see the overall trends. Even when I fluctuate by several pounds,the overall trend is still downward. This isn't for everyone, but it helps me to not be bothered by the ups and downs.
  • nickyvw
    nickyvw Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That sounds normal to me. What I do is log my weight each time it goes down to a new low, then wait through the fluctuations until it goes down to a new new low before I log it again.

^^ I do the same thing!
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options

^^ I do the same thing!

yeah thats what i do too, im losing about a pound per week as predicted but its just 1lbs off, 3 on, 4 off etc frustrating, and i cant help not weigh myself
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options

You win the internet.
  • chrisistewstew24
    Options
    The same happens to me every now and then as well and it's very frustrating.. But it's probably water weight,so you shouldn't worry about it :)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    That sounds very familiar!

this is exactly what is happening to me right now. LOL but i aint worried. i keep doing what im doing knowing it will all be ok. but its nice to read.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Probably because you're trying to live on 1200 calories and your body is not happy.

Idk, I live on 2200-2500 calories and the same thing happens to me. I call it water weight fluxuations.