You're supposed to lose more in the first month... Right?

Options
I'm getting a little anxious. It's been 30 days since I joined MFP and I've lost 13.5 pounds.
This is good, I realize that, but I'm also worried that it's not so good. Whenever I've lost weight in the past, I've lost about 4 or 5 pounds my first week, and it's evened out after that. I'm averaging at about 3.5 pounds a week at this point and that's a little weird for me.

I was just wondering if this was normal? I'm happy to lose weight quickly, but I know that it's not as healthy, not as sustainable, and will probably result in a TON of loose skin which is obviously not ideal at all.

Replies

• Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon, not a sprint. A consistent pace will benefit more in the long term but individual weight loss can vary. As long as you are suspiciously going up in weight & inches, I would just keep on doing what is working.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and if you think you are going too fast just scale back the number of pounds you want to lose a week.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a moderate deficit TDEE minus about 20%, and losing 13.5lbs per month, you are just fine. It will absolutely level out in the long run. Eat a sufficient amount of calories, excercise if you so chose, and watch the scale go down! Its really that simple as long as you continue to log EVERYTHING! Dont stop logging! Keep up the great work!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Most of the time it's water weight. It will slow down. Just make sure you don't have a huge deficit. Typically you should aim to lose 1-1.5 lb a week and eat your exercise calories back.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Hey friend!

It will most likely level out soon. My first month I dropped weight quicker than what I thought was normal too (and I started off with a goal of losing 25 pounds, which isn't really that much compared to many others on here) but then after that it's been slower. If you're eating well under your TDEE it could be contributing to faster weight loss, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Give yourself another month, and if you keep losing weight at an alarming rate, or have other symptoms such as lethargy or your hair falling out, then it would be best to be concerned and see a doctor.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You are doing great.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you have a large amount of weight to lose then its possible to lose a large amount in the first few months, then after a while it will slowly settle down, it might take a few months to settle into a steady pase but you while find it.
  • KortLaw
    Options
    you should be happy with that. I know I would be.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Any weight lost is a cause for celebration. Be excited for what you have lost. Don't worry that it's not good enough. The weight will come off when it wants to...Each time is different. I've gained and lost this weight a couple times, each time I lost different amounts in different time periods. This time will be the last since I've made it a lifestyle change and not just an until I reach my goal change...
  • nippoleon
    nippoleon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Give yourself another month, and if you keep losing weight at an alarming rate, or have other symptoms such as lethargy or your hair falling out, then it would be best to be concerned and see a doctor.
    I'm laughing really hard at this oh my god

owVSiBl.jpg?1

IT'S HAPPENING
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

owVSiBl.jpg?1

IT'S HAPPENING

tumblr_mtsa24Lqlj1sj3oxho1_250.gif

Seeing a big loss the first month is pretty normal. There will be days ahead where you'll look back at this and be all "Why can't I lose like that any more?".
  • nippoleon
    nippoleon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Any weight lost is a cause for celebration. Be excited for what you have lost. Don't worry that it's not good enough. The weight will come off when it wants to...Each time is different. I've gained and lost this weight a couple times, each time I lost different amounts in different time periods. This time will be the last since I've made it a lifestyle change and not just an until I reach my goal change...

I'm definitely happy, I don't mean to sound like I'm not. 13.5 is SO MUCH and I'm super pumped that my pants fall down when I run for the bus and stuff and that's great. My worry was more that it was too much, not that it wasn't enough or that I wasn't happy to lose it. ):
  • FerretBuellerr
    Options

owVSiBl.jpg?1

IT'S HAPPENING

OH MY GOD

NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY YOU MADE THAT COMMENT ON YOUR PAGE EARLIER

OMG

I'm so emmbarrassed LOL totally was not thinking when I wrote that :explode:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I lost the most in my first month yes, not sure if that is supposed to happen or not.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's water weight, it will slow down.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

I'm definitely happy, I don't mean to sound like I'm not. 13.5 is SO MUCH and I'm super pumped that my pants fall down when I run for the bus and stuff and that's great. My worry was more that it was too much, not that it wasn't enough or that I wasn't happy to lose it. ):

Oh, sorry I misread your sentence "I'm also worried that it's not so good."

Duh...I'm having a very "duh" day today.
  • FerretBuellerr
    Options

Oh, sorry I misread your sentence "I'm also worried that it's not so good."

Duh...I'm having a very "duh" day today.

At least you didn't tell a girl with no hair to be concerned if she starts losing her hair :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Very insightful. :flowerforyou: