Where do we stand on breadsticks?

Options
Mr_Boy
Mr_Boy Posts: 42 Member
A plain breadstick at 20kCal is half to a third the calories of a typical biscuit (cookie for Americans ;) ) but how is it in other regards? I'm not talking about a breadstick covered in salt, but your bog-standard plain variety.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you are asking. Do I like breadsticks (yes)? Do I think breadsticks are heatlhy (depends on the breadstick and the overall diet, but they are not necessarily unhealthy)? Do breadsticks hinder / contribute to weight loss (no more than any other food, unless you are insulin resistant)? Other?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I like to eat breadsticks rather than stand on them but I guess you could do it anywhere you want.

I don't demonize foods. If it fits in my budget and I want to eat it then I do. I don't see anything inherently bad about a breadstick except it's just a bunch of empty calories.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    In b4 cauliflower ''breadsticks''
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A plain breadstick at 20kCal is half to a third the calories of a typical biscuit (cookie for Americans ;) ) but how is it in other regards? I'm not talking about a breadstick covered in salt, but your bog-standard plain variety.

So not the soft, warm, buttery, garlicky, salty kind? Just a plain stick of bread? I wouldn't bother.

If you have limited calories, everything is an opportunity cost question. Bland breadstick carbs vs a scoop of ice cream, or half a cookie, or whatever.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Only 20 calories for a breadstick... where???
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Have you even had Olive Garden breadsticks? They are 150 calories of yummy, salty goodness. Totally worth it too!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I stand on them as stilts, usually in carb-themed parades, but occasionally at bakery grand openings.
  • SherryIsRunner5
    SherryIsRunner5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't stand on breadsticks, I gobble them up!!
  • nippoleon
    nippoleon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Crunchy breadsticks or the soft Pizza Hut kind of deal?
    Nay to the crunchy ones, they're like thick crackers.

Squishy garlic-y cheese ones have a place in my tummy any day.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Only 20 calories for a breadstick... where???

^This
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stand on breadsticks anywhere. They're quite brittle and they'd leave a lot of crumbs on the floor if you stood on them.
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    One of my weaknesses...buttery garlic bread sticks:love: <drool>
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    The only way I eat those crunchy breadsticks is if there's prociutto wrapped around them.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Have you even had Olive Garden breadsticks? They are 150 calories of yummy, salty goodness. Totally worth it too!

yes! this!!!:love:
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Favorite: Papa Johns plain bread sticks w/ garlic sauce.

That.will.be.the.death.of.me.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh YES. SO worth the calories.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    We loves the breadsticks. They are our precious.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I can only assume you mean the packaged crisp bread sticks - similar to the Stella D'oro breadsticks? For me, it's about satisfaction. If I want to have a cup of tea with a biscuit, I may choose 3 of those breadsticks instead of 1 Jaffa Cake, because I get to eat more with my tea. But when I really want to have a Jaffa Cake, I have it. I just make the calories available for it!

As far as which is "healthier" for you? I suppose breadsticks have a bit less sugar than your typical biscuit, if that's a concern for you.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Olive garden breadsticks sometimes cause a stirring in my loins
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Olive garden breadsticks sometimes cause a stirring in my loins