muscles hurt so bad

Options
So I played flag football for 2 hours on sunday. First time I have actually played a sport and ran for about 3-4 years. My muscles are still extremely sore 3 days later. Is it okay to go ahead and workout when they are hurting? What are my muscles doing when they are tight and hurting anyways?

Replies

• InsanlyIrene
    Options
    I recommend you do some light stretching, your muscles are in shock right now and there for they are hurting, resting isn't the solution here, moving is. Go and do some light stretches, focus on the areas that hurt the most.

Don't know how to stretch, google some stretching excises to get started and most important take it SLOW, you will get through it!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I started my P90X last Monday, and I have been sore all week, still a little sore today. I still worked out all of last week and this. It is expected to get sore, when you push you muscles to do something they are not used to.

If you have any protein shake, try drinking some.

You are making your muscles stronger and building them, when they get sore. Keep up the good work.

If you are sore to the point, where you probably are hurting yourself by pushing forward, then take it easy for a couple days. Each person is different. Go with how your body and mind feels.

Goodluck
  • nicoleg98
    Options
    Streching is a huge factor to comfort when it comes to working out! I find it refreshing to attend a yoga class a day after my strenuious workout! Sauna is amazing too! Baths with epson salt if you ever start to hurt not sore. I get the aches really bad after I play a sport im not used to doing on a daily basis regardless of how much i exercise! good luck to you!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Make sure to stretch extra long and stretch afterward too, but yes, go ahead and do it. Just don't over do it.
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When you've worked muscles you haven't worked in forever, or you've pushed harder than you've pushed before, there's some normal tearing of the muscle fibers. That's not a bad thing. Your muscles repair themselves. But it's important that you build in some recovery days after something like that to give your muscles that chance to bounce back stronger. That doesn't mean you need to hang out on the sofa all day, but do things that are a little less muscle-intensive. You can go for a long walk or a very easy jog, you can swim, do yoga. If it's your lower body that hurts, you can work your abs or your upper body and continue to give the legs a rest.
  • tulaniq
    tulaniq Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I generally find that - as much as it hurts - working out again when you are sore is the BEST thing you can do to get less sore (stretching is good too!). I'm no expert but I think it has to do with working the lactic acid out of your muscles....
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Moving your muscles will make them feel better. Soak in a tub of hot water with some epsom salt in it to relieve pain too. Some Ibuprofen will help too.
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    YES! to all of the above posters!

The best thing you can do to work the soreness out is MOVE. You will be moving out the lactic acid. (the stuff that makes you sore)

Also, Water is a key factor. Drink lots of it to keep fluids moving.

Ibuprofen works wonders. And of course STRETCHING.....

I wouldn't do a Max-out weight lifting day at the gym, but yoga, walking, SWIMMING....All good suggestions...
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    Oh yeah...and eat a banana or two. The potassium in those help battle the lactic acid as well!
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Learn to love the ache and work through it. It means things are working.

Now I'm not suggesting you go ahead and have a normal work out, do stuff with light weights and work on other parts of the body if the ache is too intense, swimming is an excellent idea! But also be aware that your muscles will work out what you want and get used to what you are doing to them. Keep up the good work and find new muscles to torture! Its good for you. :)
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...and eat a banana or two. The potassium in those help battle the lactic acid as well!

Yes, this is exactly what I was going to say! I've been told bananas will help with sore muscles. I also agree with the other posts....stretching will help!

I always stretch after a workout. Especially during times in the past when I jump back into working out on a regular basis and I get really sore those 1st few days. If you stretch a little before, then a good stretching session afterwards, your muscles won't get as sore. I've also had trainers tell me this. Take it easy, still DO something, but tone it down a notch or two. Good luck! :smile: