Strength Training at Home

Options
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy strength training equipment so I can exercise at home. I am stuck when it comes to equipment.

Any suggestions? Do you use free weights, resistance bands or any other type of equipment?

All the advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Power rack.

Omg I wish I could have one.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Barbell, dumbbells (adjustable) squat stand, bench, various plates of weight
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I use powerblocks and a bench and I love them. They are adjustable dumbbells.
  • CaliforniaAtHeart
    CaliforniaAtHeart Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend a pull up bar.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Right now I just use dumbells and PowerBlocks along with a bench but am planning on digging out my barbell and plates once I buy a squat rack.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells would be useful too.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You can get started with:

1. Adjustable dumbbells.
    2. Add a resistance band w/ door attachment for 'pull ups' if you're really serious.

Add a bench if you want.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have this and a set of adjustable dumbbells.

YXyfFsS.jpg?2
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options

YXyfFsS.jpg?2

Very nice setup!
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I use Bow Flex SelectTech adjustable dumbbells, a bench & a floor mat. I also have what is called a Power Tower but if you can get what adini749 is showing in the picture that is better.

A MFP friend and I put together some strength training workouts for home use, if you are interested. They are shared at www.jefit.com and can be viewed by anyone. There are other routines there too. Type TUFF into the Routine search at the top of the page at their web site to see them. I have the same username there if you join with a free account.

Good for you to decide to take action and best of luck on your journey.
  • TX_Mike
    TX_Mike Posts: 27
    Options

YXyfFsS.jpg?2

I wish!

I have a free weights and bench I purchased off Craigslist. I head to the park for pullups.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Bench, rack, bar and plates. I have plate load able dumbbells as well, but I'd prefer adjustables or an actual set of dumbbells. I find mine a hit long and awkward. If you're not an outdoor runner, a good space to do cardio (I like videos a lot) and/or a piece of cardio equipment is good, too. (I have a treadmill, but I'm trying to carve time for outside running more,)
  • rbcrawford1
    rbcrawford1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have floor mats, a bench, olympic weight set, dumbbells, and yoga ball in my garage. I do pull ups/chin ups on my kids' monkey bars. We also use the swing for TRX style ab workouts. I could use a squat rack...right now I have to go to my trainer's building to squat heavy. Craigslist is a great source for weights...no need to buy new.
  • cyoung0317
    Options
    Gosh, I guess I should've mentioned that I am a poor college kid. I have a budget of about $75.

Thank you all for your responses!

I'm thinking adjustable dumbells, free weights or resistance bands.