Weight Loss Surgery Advice

Options
Hi Everyone! I'm sure this topic comes up a lot and I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm pretty obese. About 370lbs and It's actually starting to get hard to take a bath!!!!
I'm not the MOST motivated person right now. I made an account today and I really want this.

One question comes to mind is whether I should get weight loss surgery. I know it's not an over night fix or a miracle worker and I know I will still have to work really hard. But being the weight that I am and as far as I've gotten I really think It's the best choice for me so far.

However, I'm 24 years old and I am willing to hear other people's advice on the matter. I DO NOT want to lose too much weight to where I have so much loose skin that I will become even more unhappy then I am now.

Has anyone else around my size gotten weight loss surgery and were able to work really hard to keep their skin hydrated and it worked out pretty well? Or is it just a loss cause? Pictures and advice is appreciated!

Please feel free to add me as a friend and send me a message if you would rather not post a reply!
I don't expect to look like a swim suit model at all. Loose skin is inevitable I understand that. I just don't want to look like I'm 100 years old all around my entire body because of it. Please help ):

Replies

• shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know what you're saying. Last year, my husband was 357 lbs. Now he's a little less than 250 lbs. No surgery; only eating real, clean food; exercising 6 days a week. It's totally and completely doable. He didn't want to do any surgery because he felt the procedures to be too invasive with a long recovery time, and he also wanted his results to come from HIM, not from a surgery.

In the end, it's entirely up to you. I just wanted to share that story with you.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    [snip]
    I don't expect to look like a swim suit model at all. Loose skin is inevitable I understand that. I just don't want to look like I'm 100 years old all around my entire body because of it. Please help ):

The "loose skin" issue has nothing to do with making your body look older.

No matter how old one gets, you won't get anything like the loose skin I've seen pics of (well, unless you lost a large amount of weight also).
  • mylars
    mylars Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't think you should worry about loose skin. Thinking too far ahead sometines is not good. You are young and your body at 24 will respond so well to weight loss. For me what I use to do is surround my self with things that inspire me. It could be just going out and getting a workout clothes and wear it all day just to feel like I'm already fit, but I would actually workout even if its just a 30 min walk.

If I see or smell food that triggers my food addiction, I slow down and close my eyes and tell myself that fit people does not eat junk food or fast food. I was always guarded when it comes to my diet. I could workout until I'm blue in the face but if my diet is bad, it does not do anything to my weight loss goal. I'm 42 years old and I had 4 kids. One thing I did not do when I had my kids each time is give up on trying to loose weight. I have to say that when I started to attempt to lose weight at 23, it was a lot easier than 42. So, don't waste time. I'm 5'2 and the largest weight I had been was 200lbs. My point is that weather you just want to loose 10 lbs or 200 lbs. the struggle to fight on controlling the bad foods we want to eat is the same. The abillity to gain control of ourselves is always one of the hardest thing to overcome. Time and consistency to control my urge to eat junk food is never easy. Like I said before
    Power = Strength Over Time.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    my sister in law got it...she is to never have a soda or beer again....SCREW THAT !
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Add me so I can message you? I had WLS at 24 and it saved my life. I was 383 at my heaviest and about 275 when I had surgery. At my lowest weight in Feb of this year, I was right around 160/size 8 - I have gained due to starting hormone therapy (which I'm working on). You might research a lap band versus gastric bypass.

Yes, WLS has problems and it isn't an overnight fix. But it sure can motivate you and be an effective, efficient tool to get you where you need to go. You absolutely must be committed to eating healthfully and exercising though, so be sure you're there before you even consider it.

Would love to talk with you more about it if you're interested. I am a HUGE advocate.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I lost 150, was 326 at 5'3".....I did it by putting the fork down & exercising. Baby steps...I took my time, I took a few years, I retrained myself to discover what "normal" is for me. I don't feel that the surgery changes the issues in your head that cause you to overeat and become morbidly obese. A lot of soul searching & self help are needed to change and imporve you, not a surgery. I just turned 37 & had a body lift surgery 4 months ago, it wasn't absolutely "necessary" and I could live with spanx everyday, but I was able to do it and I did.
    Things are differant with age, and I had a vicious pregnancy where I was enormous & it was hard to have the skin bounce back from that.
    Best of luck to you, find it within yourself and you can do it:wink:
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think you really, really need to research all of the possible side effects from the type of surgery you are interested in. Many of these surgeries have life changing effects. Yes, you will have weight loss (as long as you follow the program), but you will also have an invasive procedure done to change something in your body. My opinion is that if you have to follow a program after the surgery, why not just follow a program and skip the surgery all together.

Please just research everything, discuss it with your doctor and then make an informed choice. That would be my advice.

You don't have to be super motivated. You just have to start making small changes. Take a few minutes walk every day and build on your time. Cut back on portion size a little. Swap out a side dish that may not be very healthy for a side salad. Small changes will quickly add up. As they add up and you lose a little weight, you will find the motivation to make bigger and bigger changes.

Good luck to you!
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I was 3 days from surgery and backed out the best decision I ever made. Yes I went to all the classes and met with a dietician for 6 moths did it all. Met with the surgeon twice had all the insurance work done and then didn't do it. That was 9 months ago and today with hard work 3months of a not losing I am down 70 lbs. My wife did have the surgery and looks great with no major problems. No just last month her aunt did it and had lots of problems and almost didnt make it remember there are risk its for sure not a easy road. Feel free to friend me if you'd like. Good luck
  • koen612
    koen612 Posts: 83
    Options
    I would say it depends, I had a gastric bypass. It helped quite a bit. I had mine primarily due to being 6'6 and 342lbs, but i also have a hip replacement. It was advised by my hip surgeon to lose weight. Unfortunately most of what i tried failed and i never understood the mechanics til later on in life. I am happy til this day i had the surgery. I can still drink and eat what ever I want. The only thing i have a problem with is pasta, but then again my mom and aunt had the surgery and both of them can eat pasta fine. I would use surgery as a last ditch effort. It is far better to do it on your own. But the surgery isn't all that bad.I would stay away from the lap bands though. Food for thought.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    My advice, don't get the surgery, it doesn't teach you how to eat properly on the way down, which makes it incredibly difficult to sustain the weight loss. Don't be in such a rush that you need to take drastic steps. Change your eating habits now, slowly incorporate exercise. Almost all of your weight loss is going to come from a change in your diet, not from the gym. It will be much better for you in the long run if you diet down properly. Your body and your skin will have more time to adjust to the weight loss as well.
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I know a few people (friends and family) who are very happy with their WLS, but have also gone back for liposuction and skin removal procedures. 'Course, my gf lost 100lb the diet/exercise way and also opted to have lipo and skin removal after reaching her goal. I have a couple close friends who have, unfortunately, had very bad experiences with WLS and became very ill. As I have a young child I would not consider it, personally.

I think you need to talk to your medical team, therapists, family, friends, whomever and then decide what's best for you.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    There is a co-worker of mine, who wanted to get the lap band. I tried to talk her out of it, and tried to get her to just eat right and exercise, which I was trying to do at the same time. She was a little bigger than I was, and we lost weight at about the same speed. She may have lost a little faster than me, of course, but I didn't have to go through surgery, and I was able to eat real food. When you have the lapband or gastric bipass, you first have to eat this watery baby formula tasting stuff for a couple days before the surgery. Then you are only able to eat such a tiny amount of food, I think only liquids at first, or risk vomiting up the excess food, and possibly even choking to death on it, (or so I've heard, you can google that to be sure). You risk surgery related complications and infections. Not to mention, fewer and fewer insurance companies are covering this type of procedure, and I'm sure it will be even less once Obamacare goes into full swing. I just feel it's unnecessary, personally. I mean, if you can lose the weight with a little bit of work, and eating a little better, why go through surgery? Yes, you may lose it a little bit quicker, but I don't think it's that much of a difference in the amount of time. You can spend the extra time it takes losing it, or you can spend the same amount, and continue gaining it. Losing weight doesn't have to be a race. With all the excess weight you have, you should be able to eat a reasonable amount of food to be satisfied. Or you can have surgery, and only enjoy some chicken broth. Lol. It's really quite simple. Move more, eat less, literally. The more time you spend up off the couch, the more calories you'll burn. Whether it's cleaning house, walking, dancing, preparing meals...anything. You'd be surprised how much those calories add up. I have a bodymedia device, and I love it. I remember last year, at thanksgiving, I burned like 500 calories just cooking dinner! Lol. And maybe cleaning some, too. Good luck to you. Whatever you choose, I hope it works well for you.
  • fashionosack
    Options
    If the weight increase after liposuction, abdominal residual fat cell size may increase. However, the limited number of cells in the Ministry of liposuction, without any noticeable rebound. If you want to keep fit, you can not eat too much, to do more exercise. And after a meal should be consumed with a cup, it can assist detoxification diet, the effect is significant.
  • Italianfatty
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice everyone!
    I don't plan to have any type of cosmetic surgery after weight loss.
    It's really expensive lol. I don't want to be one of the people who have complications.. and with my luck I would be!
    I had my gallbladder removed a few years back and I'm lucky that I haven't had anything I can't eat.

So I should draw my luck there and go slow and steady! That way I know for sure that my body wont be saggy and wrinkly(what i meant by looking 100 years old) :D
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm not the MOST motivated person right now.
    Honestly, that doesn't make you a great candidate for weight loss surgery. I've not had it, but from everything I've heard/read, it's not at all easy, and you need to be just as motivated to put the work in yourself as you do without the surgery.

Be prepared for some loose skin however you lose the weight. It's not inevitable, but some amount is quite likely. Losing slower will hopefully help, but it won't prevent it happening altogether. Losing the weight will still be absolutely worth it, and you have age on your side.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm not the MOST motivated person right now.
    Honestly, that doesn't make you a great candidate for weight loss surgery. I've not had it, but from everything I've heard/read, it's not at all easy, and you need to be just as motivated to put the work in yourself as you do without the surgery.

Be prepared for some loose skin however you lose the weight. It's not inevitable, but some amount is quite likely. Losing slower will hopefully help, but it won't prevent it happening altogether. Losing the weight will still be absolutely worth it, and you have age on your side.

That sentence stuck in my head too when I read it.....the physical part of weight loss can be easy compared to the mental aspects of it at times. You really have to look at the pros and cons of a major surgery and see if you are willing to risk it if you are not 100% sure that you can completely change your life to accommodate a procedure that is not easily reversed. I had an uncle and a really good friend who both had the surgery and did not change anything about their lifestyle and each has had to have 2 additional surgeries to fix things due to complications. But I also have a third friend who went to the group counseling and followed it to the T and she is doing really well keeping the weight off with no complications at all. I lost weight through dietary changes and exercise because I was getting high blood pressure and I do have loose skin, but that a lot of working out and time have both helped and it really is not that bad...then again I am 12 years older than you and had 2 C-sections so the middle is what it is. Just think it through because this is a huge decision and best wishes either way you decide to go.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery almost 16 years ago. I had initial success and lost about 80 lbs. But over the years almost all of it has come back. As I found out after the surgery this is not at all uncommon. While the techniques have improved over the years, in order for the surgery to be a success you need to be committed to permanent lifestyle changes.

Weight loss surgery is a tool, and you need to weigh the benefits and risks yourself to decide whether it is worth it to you.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you have not tried it yet I would try losing it naturally first and if you do not have success then look into surgery. The thing to remember about surgery is not matter how uncomplicated it is things can always go wrong and there is always a chance of death just from the anesthesia alone. As some posters have said above to even with the surgery if you do not learn to fix your current habbits you will end up right back where you started. Weight loss is not as impossible as it feels, I have found it is even more attainable with the help of MFP because it gives you hard numbers to work with and its not just some theory you are trying to stick to.

This link outlines a "diet" that I hope you will find followable. All you have to do is start logging and maybe think about starting some exercise too, I would just start with some walking if you are not currently active.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

If you have an questions or need help feel free to friend me. Best of luck to you :)
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I know what you're saying. Last year, my husband was 357 lbs. Now he's a little less than 250 lbs. No surgery; only eating real, clean food; exercising 6 days a week. It's totally and completely doable. He didn't want to do any surgery because he felt the procedures to be too invasive with a long recovery time, and he also wanted his results to come from HIM, not from a surgery.

In the end, it's entirely up to you. I just wanted to share that story with you.

Without turning this in a to a clean eating thread, or rather one where people freak out because someone doesn't eat candy or pizza daily, I want to second your husbands approach. It's such a simple method and a good way to at least get started until you feel you juggle around the numbers that come with calorie counting.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had considered it. My diabeties doctor was actually pushing me towards it. Instead, I joined metabolic research center- their program is high protein, low fat and low carb. You eat a lot of food at first but it was real food that I cooked supplemented with protein drinks that are yummy. I lost 30 lb in about 3 months and have since lost another 20 but have been slacking lately. My doctor was thrilled with my weight loss and now recommends this program.

You are young so I wouldn't worry about saggy skin- if you lose slowly, it should rebound fine. The saggy skin is a problem with rapid loss though.

I read a lot about the emotional toil the WLS takes and that is what talked me out of it.

Good luck with whatever decision that you make!