adding carbs

Options
For MONTHS, I have been eating very little carbs. and NO breads.

I am ready to start gradually adding carbs back in to my diet, like wraps and such. Since im no longer trying to shed pounds..

Any suggestions on the best low carb wraps, bars, breads, etc???

Replies

• jaycbrf4
    Options
    I have been eating the Pepperidge Farms Carb Style Whole Wheat. It has like 8 carbs per slice with 3g fiber so only 5 net carbs.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/pepperidge-farm-carb-style

Also Mission makes a Burrito size Tortilla/Wrap that has 32 carbs but 26g fiber each so only 6 net carbs each. I think they also have a smaller tortilla size with 13 carbs and 9g fiber.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/burrito-mission-carb-balance-whole-wheat-tortillas-large-burrito-33434725
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/mission-carb-smart-tortilla-small-fajita-white-38412638

I have them on taco night and enjoy the bread. It is the one thing I think I miss the most since going low carb.
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Start with breakfast - that way your body has time to burn them up throughout the whole day. Focus on Whole Grains...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    be warned that you will "gain" as your glycogen is replenished..

but you want low carb options to add back carbs..??? Kind of confusing..

I would say go with brown rice, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, bagels, etc...
  • jzou91
    jzou91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Check the glycemic index of the foods in question.

I would recommend sticking to all "multigrain" types of bread/wraps or at least whole wheat if multigrain is not an option.

Remember, the majority of your daily carbs should come from your post-workout meal as this is when your body needs to replenish it's depleted glycogen stores!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the timing of your additional carbohydrates beyond how it effects your gym performance and dietary adherence.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory makes really good low carb/high fiber wraps!
    http://www.latortillafactory.com/
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Check the glycemic index of the foods in question.

I would recommend sticking to all "multigrain" types of bread/wraps or at least whole wheat if multigrain is not an option.

Remember, the majority of your daily carbs should come from your post-workout meal as this is when your body needs to replenish it's depleted glycogen stores!

The glycemic index measures insulin and glycemic response from a solitary carb source, ingested after fasting for more than 8 hours, with no other food source present, and doesn't take into account load. The real world application of this is highly unlikely, if not impossible. Fat content of a meal, as well as food combinations affect glycemic index. Also, individual glycemic responses to food differs for everyone as well. Basically, GI is bunk. Studies have already disproved it, and have shown high GI vs low GI diets do not matter in weight loss.

And as SideSteel perfectly said, timing nutrients other than for athletic performance or dietary adherence is pointless. Glycogen replenishment post workout will occur through normal diet. Unless you are an elite athlete training the same body part less than 8 hours apart, there is no need to carb load after a work out.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about finding "low carb options" so much as being diligent about measuring your food. Oats, brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc are good options, but weigh them vs. measure as they can add up fast. As someone recommended, La Tortilla Factory tortillas/wraps are pretty tasty.

Also, be prepared for a small jump in weight once you start eating carbs again. That's the body's natural reaction to carbs as it replenishes glycogen stores
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    flatout bread (light) 16 carb, 9 fiber=7 net carbs, 9 protein,
    Josephs heart healthy pita bread 10 carbs, 5 fiber=5 net carbs, 7 protein and josephs flax oat bran and whole wheat lavish bread 7 carbs, 3 fiber=4 net carbs, 5 protein.