We're All Weight Loss Experts

Options
krisdw
krisdw Posts: 25 Member
I've been on some sort of diet almost as long as I can remember. I've gone up, down and maintained for different periods of time. I know this time will be the last! But anyway..

After a while, weight loss and nutrition started to become a passion of mine. Even though I was still overweight, I loved learning new things about health and which foods benefit you in which ways. The more science it involved, the better!

Do you guys find that you've learned so much about what is good and bad, that you have to fight back giving people advice? The first thing I want to do when someone talks to me about not understanding why they're not losing weight, or how they want to start a diet, I want to get involved and work with them because I feel like I know exactly what they need to do to see results!

I don't want to seem like a know-it-all, especially since I'm overweight and I probably look silly talking about knowing the "secrets" to being thin and still being heavy! LOL but anyways, I'm not trying to be annoying to them, I just get so excited to share all the info with someone.

Do you guys feel that way?

Replies

• ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I was watching The Biggest Loser last night and at one point they had to guess how many calories were in a slice of lasagna and both contestants grossly overjudged the amount of calories...and I nailed it nearly dead on. I feel like I know a lot about diet, not so much about exercise but I'm learning quickly. I constantly give people advice that they don't take, and then they whine because they're not losing. My sister is really bad about this, but I just roll my eyes and move on.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I try hard to refrain from giving advice on here unless I was specifically asked. The only time I've varied from that is when I saw one person encouraging another that a one coffee and one diet pop was enough in a day. Sorry, but I couldn't hold my tongue on that.

But here's the thing...Are we really experts???
    I mean, yes, we can repeat the same drivel that was taught to us. Yes we can recite why's and how's of different theories on weightloss...but if we were real experts then shouldn't we be thin? Shouldn't we be healthy?

Doesn't being an expert mean you can walk the talk?

So while I have opinions on what is healthy, safe and appropriate... just like everyone else.. I try to keep my opinions to myself because when I look in the mirror and I step on the scale its very evident. I am no expert.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea to give unsoclicited advice...and i learned that the hard way...now when i go out for supper with the inlaws, i don't tell them how many calories are on their plate, or that maybe a house salad would be better than a ceasar salad...i just keep my mouth shut, hope they don't notice me logging my calories in on my phone, and eat in peace...my sisters are the worst...they complain about their weight constantly, and it's obvious what they're doing wrong but I'm not going to be the one to say something
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    If I were an expert, I'd be skinny.
  • krisdw
    krisdw Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try hard to refrain from giving advice on here unless I was specifically asked. The only time I've varied from that is when I saw one person encouraging another that a one coffee and one diet pop was enough in a day. Sorry, but I couldn't hold my tongue on that.

I mean, yes, we can repeat the same drivel that was taught to us. Yes we can recite why's and how's of different theories on weightloss...but if we were real experts then shouldn't we be thin? Shouldn't we be healthy?

So while I have opinions on what is healthy, safe and appropriate and what is not just like everyone else.. I try to keep my opinions to myself because when I look in the mirror and I step on the scale its very evident. I am no expert.

I guess I probably should have put my topic as, "We're All Weight Loss "Experts" ", to show the sarcasm! I certainly didn't mean to say that i know it all.. as you said, we're just repeating what we're taught! I guess my thing is, I feel such a need to want to share it with people when they bring up the topics of diets or how they're struggling to lose weight.

I know it's best to keep it to myself.. I agree with you, if we were experts we'd be thin! Then again I guess my issue isn't that I don't know enough, it's that I still let myself take in all that junk food, knowing full well what it was doing to me! LOL
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I am well on my way to being an expert.

I have taken what I have learned and went back to school to become a Certified Naturopathic Nutrition Coach. I am about half way through the program now and it is backing up everything that I already knew and has taught me so much more.

I will be working part time at my gym with a support group focusing on Natural Nutrition through whole foods.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options

So while I have opinions on what is healthy, safe and appropriate and what is not just like everyone else.. I try to keep my opinions to myself because when I look in the mirror and I step on the scale its very evident. I am no expert.

I guess I probably should have put my topic as, "We're All Weight Loss "Experts" ", to show the sarcasm! I certainly didn't mean to say that i know it all.. as you said, we're just repeating what we're taught! I guess my thing is, I feel such a need to want to share it with people when they bring up the topics of diets or how they're struggling to lose weight.

I know it's best to keep it to myself.. I agree with you, if we were experts we'd be thin! Then again I guess my issue isn't that I don't know enough, it's that I still let myself take in all that junk food, knowing full well what it was doing to me! LOL

Sorry, I didn't pick up on the sarcasm. lots of people here think they are experts, so I didn't read deeper into it then that.

IF I'm asked, I share what I'm doing and what works for me. But if someone tells me they are struggling and want to be healthier I encourage them to talk to their doctor, naturopath, or dietician to get help and guidance from people who are truly in the know so that they can find what will really work for them.
    But that's just me. Everyone has their own way of doing things. :)
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I feel your sarcasm for sure! It's annoying for someone who doesn't know me to try to tell me what to do and how to feed my family. When I need advice, I'll ask. What I'm doing works. I don't need to be an expert, just healthy :)
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    OMG ChubbieTubbie totallllly did the same thing lol and w the fat amt w the fries n the cheeses balls w a billion cheeses in it yuck and the sodium w the potstickers n the soy sauce duh soy sauce is like pure salt lol the sugar i couldnt read the differents types fast enough but i would have killed in that game lol. i just seems like common sense now its weird. i have the friend that says the same thing i want to loose weight and i look at her fridge n what do i see frozen pizza, eggrolls etc n white bread n cheese galore not a lick of veggies and mabye 2 fruits! realllly come on. i tell her and ive told her but nope nothing changed. i tried