Overestimating calories.

Options
I overestimate the calories I eat. I weigh everything, but I'll still enter in my log more food than I actually eat. Sometimes I'll double the calories of something just to be on the safe side.. I get paranoid that I'm eating more than I think, even though I weigh every single thing. Also, I don't think I've ever met my goal of 1,400 calories a day. I get really nervous to go close to it, and like to stay about 200 calories under it. It's not that I'm not hungry sometimes, I just get nervous eating more. Advice? I'm not really sure what to do.

Replies

• dmroz35543
    Options
    I have done the same thing just to be sure that if I am hungry later in the day I have extra calories to compensate!
  • SmarTam
    SmarTam Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Over estimating is better than under estimating. I recently confronted myself and admitted that I was underestimating. Now I am trying to over estimate, not too much but tiny little ammount, to make sue I am actually under and dont get over my calorie goal of 1200. I also get nervous as I approach my calorie allowance for the day but I make it up at the dinner and have it generously if I have calories remaining even after over estimating! Don't starve yourself, just be mindful and try to divide your meals through out the day by pre-planning. If you feel hungry, eat food.
  • ImRemko
    ImRemko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wait, you perfectly know what's wrong. Do you want us to repeat it?

Here it goes: I think you overestimate the calories you eat.

Happy?
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Therapy? I'm serious. Your maintenance calories are probably in the 18-2200 range, so even being a bit over will still leave you losing weight. What is the point of weighing and logging if you aren't going to do it accurately? 8-1200 calories a day is not healthy at all. You should not be terrified to eat. That is very unhealthy.

Write about it, meditate, get therapy, and try to find ways to get around your fears. Like take measurements and pictures so that you can compare when you are afraid of gaining weight etc.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Over estimating is better than under estimating. I recently confronted myself and admitted that I was underestimating. Now I am trying to over estimate, not too much but tiny little ammount, to make sue I am actually under and dont get over my calorie goal of 1200. I also get nervous as I approach my calorie allowance for the day but I make it up at the dinner and have it generously if I have calories remaining even after over estimating! Don't starve yourself, just be mindful and try to divide your meals through out the day by pre-planning. If you feel hungry, eat food.

This is very poor advice to someone who is starting to have disordered eating. You are too for that matter. 1200 is too low for anyone, and purposely not hitting even that is bad.
  • ImRemko
    Options
    Sometimes I overestimate things and put 1.1 servings instead of 1
    You really live on the edge bro. I'm kind of jealous!
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    If you're weighing everything and know your actual intake then there is no reason to doubt you're getting the correct amount of calories. Even if you're off by a few it doesn't matter much in the long run.
    I think you need to confront the reasons why you are so scared to go over. I think you should go get some help to fix your relationship with food. I'm always looking for ways to eat MORE. I love food! It's not the enemy. You need to make sure you're getting enough nutrients to fuel your body. You're not doing yourself any favours by undereating.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This is very poor advice to someone who is starting to have disordered eating. You are too for that matter. 1200 is too low for anyone, and purposely not hitting even that is bad.

I agree with this statement too.
  • grandloves
    Options
    Therapy? I'm serious. Your maintenance calories are probably in the 18-2200 range, so even being a bit over will still leave you losing weight. What is the point of weighing and logging if you aren't going to do it accurately? 8-1200 calories a day is not healthy at all. You should not be terrified to eat. That is very unhealthy.

Write about it, meditate, get therapy, and try to find ways to get around your fears. Like take measurements and pictures so that you can compare when you are afraid of gaining weight etc.

Thank you for a serious reply. I do have a history of disordered eating, but I didn't know if this kind of thing was serious enough for me to seek out help again.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

This excites me. :)
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I don't see anything bad about sharing an anecdote about how they corrected their underestimating problem. Their final advice was not to starve yourself and to eat if you're hungry - hardly poor advice. Overestimating by a small amount (as the above poster says they do) is fine so long as a small amount is actually a small amount and not off by hundreds because that'll just skew all the results. I think diagnosing someone as starting to have an eating disorder, unless you're actually an expert in the field, is worse. Your response, while no doubt intended to be helpful, instead sounded judgmental - you're making judgments about their calorie goals when that goal is incredibly common on MFP.

I think the real issue is the anxiety this person, and the OP, feel about going over their calorie goal. Getting anxiety over calorie counting in general isn't good; maybe the better solution would be to stop focusing on counting calories for a little while in order to give your brain a break from these anxieties. Calories aren't the be all end all of health; maybe focus for a little while on just eating healthily instead of obsessively counting and measuring, so that if you do choose to continue tracking calories you can do so without anxiety.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

so you add another 10% to your theoretical deficit? genius.. I alwasy knew TDEE-30 was better than TDEE-20..

hell.. make it 1.2
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

so you add another 10% to your theoretical deficit? genius.. I alwasy knew TDEE-30 was better than TDEE-20..

hell.. make it 1.2

Only to certain things that I don't know the calories for, like pizza that my mom made for dinner tonight

yeah, I got that feeling, but, your posting it in a thread that already reeks of ED
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If you got the 1400 calories as a daily goal from MFP and chose to lose 1lb a week, that should be a deficit of 500 calories before exercise. So, even if you ate over 1400 calories by lets say 400 calories, you should still be able to lose weight but it will just be a slower process. You shouldn't get nervous to eat your daily goal or even a little bit over, because you'll still be in a deficit.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Thank you for a serious reply. I do have a history of disordered eating, but I didn't know if this kind of thing was serious enough for me to seek out help again.

I agree that you probably want to consider getting back into therapy at this point. You should not be afraid of your food. You should feel confident that you are in control of what you are eating and you should understand your body and trust yourself enough to enjoy a healthy amount of food without putting yourself into a mental tailspin about it.
  • ImRemko
    Options
    You really live on the edge bro. I'm kind of jealous!
    You know it!
    *fistbump*